• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R5 3600 overclocking and strange ram behavior

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
MOG1000, how much of that 2800 mhz RAM do you have installed? Which GSill memory prouduct is it? Ripjaws V, Aegis, Platinum Z, etc. ?

16GB of Ripjaws V. :) With the 1600, I did not need to change anything once I set the XMP profile, which is the reason I think it is the mainboard firmware. (Had to upgrade to the latest before I installed the 3700X.) I have not bothered installing the 3600 ram for the time being, since it is installed in my R5 2600 system at the moment.

Now I am 100% certain it is the mainboards firmware of the B450 mITX Asrock mainboard. With the 3600 in the AB350 mITX Asrock board, I just ran Prime 95, small FFT max heat and had no issues whatsoever. Now, even with the 3700X installed in the B450 board, AVX stress test stuff immediately crashes but not Windows itself. I can game on that system without issues, as long as I bump the VMem a bit but, whether I had the 3600 or 3700X installed, I get the exact same issues. However, when I had a 2600, 1700 and 1600 installed on that board, I was able to run the stress test programs, AVX stuff included, without issues. Time to get ahold of Asrock tomorrow but through the support email system, since the guy I talk too on the phone does not seem all that nice.

ManofGod1000, do these problems manifest themselves only when overclocking or also at stock?

ManofGod1000, do these problems manifest themselves only when overclocking or also at stock?

The problems appear to be XMP settings related only or at least setting the ram to the stated settings it can accomplish. (Any ram, unfortunately.) The strange thing is, I do not manually overclock these processors because they hit the same clocks with PBO and manually overclocking means there is no way for the cpu to downclock, when not in use. I find it strange because before this, I always overclocked my processors by doing so manually. :) PB, PBO and XFR are all stock settings so nope, no manual overclocking.

Man of God, on the B450 board, you never answered the question about VRM temps. That could be why it always shuts down at 82c - in that at 82c CPU temp the VRM also has reached a certain temp that causes the motherboard to shut down in order to protect itself. HWInfo64 displays a line in the motherboard section called VR MOS. I suggest you check that out. And putting a "spot fan" to blow on that area can really help that issue if, in fact it is the problem. So if we knew that your VR MOS temps were high we might have an answer to that shutdown at 82c CPU temp.

Also, could you take the time to create a Signature that lists your system components. Then that information would travel with every post you make and we wouldn't have to keep reread the thread to refresh our memories. Go to Settings and Edit Signature.

Also, pics of HWIinfo64 with system under load just before shutdown at the 82c CPU temp would be very helpful. You can do image capture form the screen with Windows Snip n Sketch tool and attach them to your posts with the Go Advanced tool at the lower right corner of every new post window. Then find Manage Attachments.

Last edited:
Man of God, on the B450 board, you never answered the question about VRM temps. That could be why it always shuts down at 82c - in that at 82c CPU temp the VRM also has reached a certain temp that causes the motherboard to shut down in order to protect itself. HWInfo64 displays a line in the motherboard section called VR MOS. I suggest you check that out. And putting a "spot fan" to blow on that area can really help that issue if, in fact it is the problem. So if we knew that your VR MOS temps were high we might have an answer to that shutdown at 82c CPU temp.

Also, could you take the time to create a Signature that lists your system components. Then that information would travel with every post you make and we wouldn't have to keep reread the thread to refresh our memories. Go to Settings and Edit Signature.

Also, pics of HWIinfo64 with system under load just before shutdown at the 82c CPU temp would be very helpful. You can do image capture form the screen with Windows Snip n Sketch tool and attach them to your posts with the Go Advanced tool at the lower right corner of every new post window. Then find Manage Attachments.

Honestly, I have pretty much just let go of the temp issues because I have a sufficient heatsink on that board now with the system I am using it on. (Noctua NH-U14S.) I have switched around things but I believe explained those in previous posts, if I recall correctly. The only real issues that I cannot fix, perse, is that the latest bios with a 3000 series cpu, on that board, just simply does not behave as it should. All I can really do is wait until they release a new bios update and in the meantime, leave the VMem set a little above the normal settings.

Oh, and I have 3 systems so I am not sure there would be enough room for all the parts I have. :D I mean, if you want, I can do a temp thing if you want but, my system no longer even reaches 82C, since I swapped mainboards around.

Which board are you using now? Beware that motherboard manufacturers tend to abandon bios updates for lower end older boards after about 6 months or so after debut. Adding a little voltage to the RAM to make it stable at advertised speeds is an easy harmless fix. What were the other bios issues your were having on that board? I've lost track.

Which board are you using now? Beware that motherboard manufacturers tend to abandon bios updates for lower end older boards after about 6 months or so after debut. Adding a little voltage to the RAM to make it stable at advertised speeds is an easy harmless fix. What were the other bios issues your were having on that board? I've lost track.

:D Yeah, I have done some switching around. :)

These are the three systems I have:

System One: Asrock Taichi X370 mainboard, Asus Strix Vega 64, 16GB Gskill Ripjaws V 3600 Ram (2 x 8GB), Ryzen 5 2600 at 4.1 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15 cooler, Seasonic 1KW Power Supply, 256GB WD NVMe drive, 1TB Sandisk SSD, 256GB Sandisk SSD, 2 x 1 TB Raid 0 Seagate HDD’s and 2 x 2TB Seagate HDD’s (Non Raid) and a Cooler Master Mastercase 5 case.

System Two: Asrock AB350 Fatality Gaming mITX mainboard, Sapphire Reference RX5700 with washer mod and XT Bios flashed, 32GB 3200 Yolo Ram (2 x 16GB) Ryzen R5 3600, Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT (RMA Replacement), Thermaltake 650 Watt Power Supply, 1TB Intel 660P NVMe SSD, 1 TB Sandisk SSD and 2TB Sandisk SSD with a Metallic Gear Neo Mini Series MG-NE210_BK01
Case.

System Three: Asrock B450 Fatality Gaming mITX mainboard, MSI Vega 56 Reference with 64 Bios flashed, 16GB Gskill Ripjaws 2800 Ram (2 x 8GB), Ryzen 7 3700X (Just installed 5 days ago), Noctua NH-U14S cooler, Thermaltake 850 Watt Power Supply, 500GB WD Sata M.2 SSD, 1TB Sandisk SSD, 480GB Sandisk SSD, 480GB Adata SSD, 2TB Segate HDD with a NZXT H200 case.

All 3 systems have plenty of case fans. I ended up swapping the boards between the two ITX systems before I ever bought the 3700X. That B450 board is not a solid as the B350 board, strangely enough. Also, I was using the Hyper 212 Evo I had well I was waiting to receive the Corsair cooler back from RMA.

Last edited:
I think you accidentally pasted system 2 onto system 3. But yeah those fatality ITX boards are not the strongest VRM wise. If you switched from liquid to air though, that probably helped the VRM. If the problem is gone then all good I suppose :).

Also you could put all those in your signature with a small enough font :)

I think you accidentally pasted system 2 onto system 3. But yeah those fatality ITX boards are not the strongest VRM wise. If you switched from liquid to air though, that probably helped the VRM. If the problem is gone then all good I suppose :).

Also you could put all those in your signature with a small enough font :)

I fixed it, thanks. :)

Back