• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Racking my brain - 3 960T's, mobo only likes to boot with 1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
0813 I think is the first bulldozer bios.
Im glad you got them working, being a bios issue is a little freaky.

have you tried different mem with each of the 3 cpus?
had something similar on my ch5 for me turned out to be mem..
seems as 2 out of 4 cpus liked lower latency and lower voltage mem..

I have 2 sets of ram, tried them both and that didn't make any difference in my setup - only the bios. 1102 is the only one I've ran which this happens with though, every other one works fine.

Also, I forgot I took a picture while flashing bios last night. :D

IMG_20121215_215815.jpg

About to take this sucker cold now.

I have 2 sets of ram, tried them both and that didn't make any difference in my setup - only the bios. 1102 is the only one I've ran which this happens with though, every other one works fine.

Also, I forgot I took a picture while flashing bios last night. :D

View attachment 120425

About to take this sucker cold now.
i`m loving it. Ghetto/gangsta style is awsome!:cool:

Here's standard operating procedure. That last pic had the black PSU in the picture, as I had brought that in to eliminate a potential PSU problem, so there were extra wires everywhere. This is as "cleaned up" as it gets though. PSU is a PC P&C Silencer MK III 1200W. It has pretty fly chromed out connector hardware which I like a lot. Laptop runs ROG connect to change settings during benching runs - thats the white cable running from it to the mobo.

IMG_20121216_154318.jpg

Thanks to all of you for replying, and helping me get this sucker running the way it should. I knew I was ruling out some things, and putting everything on the table as a possibility helped me get it fixed.

So tell me about the ROG (Republic of Gamers?). Are you changing bios settings on the fly? How does that work?

So tell me about the ROG (Republic of Gamers?). Are you changing bios settings on the fly? How does that work?
Yeah basically , the laptop runs a small app like ai suite, and that controls the bios of the mobo that its connected to, meaning that its not using no resources at all from the os of the benching board, resulting in less work for the board/CPU to do, meaning higher clocks and big grins all round

Yep, the high end ROG boards have a special USB port called "ROG Connect", all of the boards allow you to use a laptop to control all settings with a program called RC TweakIt (Multiplier, HT Reference Clock, vcore, vmem, CPU-NB, HT, etc etc.) some boards let you flash the BIOS through it without a CPU/RAM... :D

Aren't those PC P&C 1.2KW MkIII units wonderful? Woomack has my review sample now, loves it.

Tonights results:

wprime 1024 multithreaded benchmark: 149.875 seconds @ 6190MHz. (one core was running at 6290, the other 4 cores were running at 6190)
wprime 32 multithreaded benchmark: 4.719 seconds @ 6254MHz.

Thanks for the explanation. I learned something new today.

Cool.

As you can imagine, it's also pretty much exclusively a benchmarking feature - there would be no practical use to change settings on the fly on a daily rig. When benchmarking however, being able to change settings at any point without using any system resources is a distinct advantage. For instance, when running 3dmark vantage almost the whole test is a 3D graphics test so you can run pretty high clocks throughout, except one small part which is a CPU test - I'd run max CPU clocks for the 3D parts, for the CPU test drop down CPU clocks to something more stable, then ramp back up once the CPU test is over. I'd get a moderate improvement in the benchmark score.

Aren't those PC P&C 1.2KW MkIII units wonderful? Woomack has my review sample now, loves it.

I like it a lot, especially the price I got it for. I snagged jonnyguru's review unit on a very good deal. :D

Back