• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator Questions(?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

I have my needs narrowed down to a 280 rad, 30mm thick. While perusing Hardware Labs offerings I find several rads that are identical on paper, but the pricing indicates differences not readily apparent. 16 fpi seems to be where I'm going on that.

I might be able to squeeze a thicker 240 in, but fin density would need to go up along with fan noise. Since this is a daily driver, that won't work. I'll be using a D5 pump in a Monsoon reservoir with the set up. Besides cooling performance, aesthetics are a major consideration.. It's all going in a NZXT Phantom 410 case and she does not want to look in the window and see a blivet, hence the dual bay res. Insights and experiences would be welcome. Thx.

Edit: And a source for steel anti kink coils would be appreciated, too.

Last edited:
Yeah, ithe NexXxos and Nemesis come to mind most recently. and Mostly any and all info from experienced users is welcome.

You looking for RGB fans or just some premium rad fans? I'd venture with the proven 120mm rad/fans but that's up to you.

Kink coils aren't really used anymore and could be an eye sore. They were 'trendy' 10 years ago but not anymore. Find the tubing size that works well in that case with angle fittings. Trust me you won't kink if done right. Just make sure the fittings are dual rotary since they give more flexibility and turn radius as opposed to most fixed fittings out there.

these are the ones i went with but they dont have white ones. you could probably paint them, no idea if the paint will crack or peel tho.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/tubing-springs-sleeves/anti-kinking-spring-19-1mm-100mm.html
that is for 1/2 x 3/4in tubing.
some of the hwlabs differences are how the water goes through them- single pass- dual pass. there are also differences in fitting locations and fin density as you already know. they are one of the few that offer white rads that perform well. ek rads are the easiest to paint if you dont mind having to do that. the housing is removable on them. ek also has really good performing rads in 30mm. cant remember if its the ce models in 280x30mm.

Last edited:
I have a pretty fair air brush if I need it. I'm just trying to pack as much octo core FX cooling as I can in to a 280 rad in a mid tower. I may be able to hang the rad beneath the provided chamber and get a lot thicker unit.

Does the anti-kink coils have to be steel? I have black ones that are plastic and they have them in other colors.

Okay, I looked it up and I have PrimoChill brand coils and they do make them in white.

I had heard the plastic ones get brittle after a while and disintegrate. Tearing the loop apart to replace color accents didn't appeal to me. LOL

Yeah, the blue ones I had before did get old and brittle after about 10 years of use. The ones I have now have been on for a year and they're not brittle at all yet. I would say the coils will last as long as your current hose/tubing (which also gets stiff and discolored with age).

I must say that Black Ice rad is pretty. Let us know how that low profile rad works. I went with double thick rads last year to increase cooling capacity.

Have to wait until I get the fittings and pump before I find out. LOL I'd like to finish up shopping for the loop next month. I already had to adjust tubing size up because Bitspower doesn't have the fittings I wanted in blue. So 3/8x5/8 it is. Because of one fitting. Sheesh. Good to know about the coils, thanks!

The tubing sure looks purty, though. http://www.performance-pcs.com/prim...ng-3-8in-id-x-5-8in-od-brilliant-uv-blue.html
http://www.performance-pcs.com/prim...tubing-3-8in-id-x-5-8in-od-bloodshed-red.html

solid choices for both. primochill lrt is probably the most widely used flexible tubing and for good reason. it lasts forever and if it gets dirty its easy to clean with just a wet rag.

Anyone familiar with Monsoon's fittings? I assumed I was going with Bitspower, but these look like something that I can work in to the build http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...F-3858-4P-WH.html?tl=g30c569s1762&id=dnANY35M for a few reasons. The white stripe effect works, and it's reminiscent of (and named for) my toy in the Army. And the owner of the rig is a veteran. BUT, I don't want to scrimp on quality anywhere just for aesthetics. If the Bitspower are far and away the best quality option then I'll stick with them.

As for the 30mm 280 rad, I can still get a separate 120, maybe 140, in the loop if needed. It will definitely be blivet-like at that point, though. LOL

monsoon makes solid gear, i havent had any experience with those particular fittings. quality wise i would rate monsoon just a hair under bitspower alphacool and ek fittings.

inevitably your going to see the alphacool monsta 120/140 while leafing through ppcs and youll say, self ah needs one of those for that leftover space in the beauty i just built...

Already saw them.:clap: The Phantom 410 was designed with water cooling as a distant afterthought, if at all. The space the manual shows for it has 25mm clearance. The only project I have going that will fit one of them is my open bench rig, and for that project I'd rather get a 50 mm thick 560 rad or a couple 480s. My daily driver's AIO handles my voltage ceiling on my Skylake, so no need to spend it there. Although I did find a bit of software to keep my W7 and get a Kaby Lake in it. Not sure it's worth a custom loop and a new chip for 300 MHz, though. LOL

After looking around at various case specs, it's surprising how many cases won't handle a big 'ol rad. Using an obsolete mid tower from NZXT to house and OC a FX 8350 is quite the ambitious project.

thats a slick case. did you go with the white one? maybe not much wcing room but lots o storage space! smart how they allow for fans to be attached to the hdd bays.

She decided on red when we got it. Very Red. LOL She like "happy" colors and that was as colorful as I could find in decent quality cases. Pictures don't do the color justice. We just call it VFR. :p

VFR.JPG

Last edited:
Back