• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID: Pci Slot controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hipcrostino

Will i get a performance enhancement by running a raid 0 on a pci controller (my mobo dosn't have on board) over a single drive on the native controller or will the bandwidth limit of the pci slot make the raid useless as a speed boost? This would be running on a Duron 800Mhz too.

Hipcrostino said:
Will i get a performance enhancement by running a raid 0 on a pci controller (my mobo dosn't have on board) over a single drive on the native controller or will the bandwidth limit of the pci slot make the raid useless as a speed boost? This would be running on a Duron 800Mhz too.
Depends on your usage, the speed of the drives and the quality of the controller itself. Either way, you'll be limited to about 120MB/s bandwidth at best and the better drives today are doing can do a little over 90MB/s each from the outside of the disk platter, average 65MB/s, and trail off around 45MB/s. As a pair in RAID0 you're gonna lose up to 40% of your performance in STR in the first third of the drives or so. I'd say don't bother.

Back