• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid worth it for me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dieotherwise

Registered
Raid set up, is it worth it getting?

will i even notice the difference with everyday applications and mid core gaming?

Raid drive is worth the most for what group of pc user?

is it worth it getting if all i do is use it for internet, download, play online games like WOW, ragnarok online and the games on this category?

thanks

Mr.Guvernment said:
No, not worth it, buy a raptor for your main drive and be done.

Would you notice a signifigant difference between say a raptor 10k rpm and the hd in my sig...for what he listed...?

I have a 74GB ADFD Raptor and yes there is a difference between the raptor and a normal drive.

Currently I am building a new system with two Seagates 320 GB 7200.10 in Raid and they are faster in transfer data but slower in access compared to a raptor also you get 640mb for the same price as 1 74GB raptor. If you have a mainbord with the P965 chipset with the ICH8R southbridge you might want to check out the article by Bing: Enter the Matrix ***.

If you don't have the a P965 chipset with a ICH8R southbridge (watch the R it stands for Raid. and some P965 mainbords use the ICH8 southbridge that has NO matrix Raid ) then I would probably advice to get a normal drive or raptor. The 500GB (and up) drives are almost as fast as raptors at the moment. The Hitachi 1TB drive is even faster then the raptor except on access time. Check Anandtech.com for an article about it.

Personaly I find the Raptors too expensive for what you get.

Its better to keep your drives defraged and use some tweak programs to improve windows loading speeds.
On Page 8 of Bing's article bing has some good advice.

Last edited:
Bardo said:
I have a 74GB ADFD Raptor and yes there is a difference between the raptor and a normal drive.

Currently I am building a new system with two Seagates 320 GB 7200.10 in Raid and they are faster in transfer data but slower in access compared to a raptor also you get 640mb for the same price as 1 74GB raptor. If you have a mainbord with the P965 chipset with the ICH8R southbridge you might want to check out the article by Bing: Enter the Matrix ***.

If you don't have the a P965 chipset with a ICH8R southbridge (watch the R it stands for Raid. and some P965 mainbords use the ICH8 southbridge that has NO matrix Raid ) then I would probably advice to get a normal drive or raptor. The 500GB (and up) drives are almost as fast as raptors at the moment. The Hitachi 1TB drive is even faster then the raptor except on access time. Check Anandtech.com for an article about it.

Personaly I find the Raptors too expensive for what you get.

Its better to keep your drives defraged and use some tweak programs to improve windows loading speeds.
On Page 8 of Bing's article bing has some good advice.

Maybe I should have gone with the 500gb version :(

O well..it is what it is...I am sure it wont be that dramatic...like when changing levels etc...at least I hope

treepop said:
Maybe I should have gone with the 500gb version :(

O well..it is what it is...I am sure it wont be that dramatic...like when changing levels etc...at least I hope

The 320 GB will work great also, plus you can always get extra 320 and go for a matrix raid. I believe that you DFI MB supports the matrix raid.

The Raptor will be faster for regular PC use compared to the Seagate.

FWIW, I just order 2x36GB Raptors for RAID 0.

Back