• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM command rate 2133 CL11 on Z87

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TurboJ

Registered
I have an Asus Gryphon Z87 mobo (it's basically an mATX Sabertooth) and a 4770k CPU.

I also have 4x4Gb of Patriot Viper RAM, 2133 MHz CL11.

I have overclocked the CPU to 4.2 GHz and I'm running the RAM at XMP settings. However, it would seem this puts the command rate to 3T.

Firstly, what program should I use to see the actual timings and command rate that my RAM is running at? The BIOS doesn't seem to show any when XMP is enabled.
Secondly, how would I go about optimizing my RAM performance? I want to be able to run my 4.2 OC on the CPU, but that low OC shouldn't affect RAM much, right? Command rate seems very slow at least.

Will different timings and command rate improve my actual performance (gaming and 3d modelling) and what variables I should change? Also, what would be a reliable test for system stability with the changed RAM settings I will try?

Last edited:
You won't see any special difference in performance after timing change at this clock. 2133 is about optimal for haswell and 11-11-11 ( I think you have that kit ) isn't that bad considering that most newer kits are 2133 11-12-11 or 10-12-12. You can of course try to run 9-11-11 or 10-11-11 if you want to compare general performance.

About Patriot memory, it just has XMP profile with command rate 3T. Simply change it manually to 1 or 2 and it will also work. Most memory kits are working fine at 1T on Z87 boards.

Regarding tests, try memtest86+ 5.00 or newer.

Last edited:
Cool.
So you figure even a 1T would work even though XMP is 3T?
Would this change have any real-life significance?
I would assume 1T should work since this is supposed to be quality RAM.
I do believe they should be 11-11-11-27, but CPU-Z (the newest version)
says 11-11-11-30-50.

Hey, I just noticed, CPU-Z shows 3T on 'SPD' window under the XMP profile, but
still on 'Memory' window it says 2T. Any way to confirm which am I really running?
I have XMP enabled in BIOS, so I wonder why it would be running a non-XMP command
rate - unless the XMP info on CPU-Z is wrong (which I believe it may be).

Here is one of my Patriot tests. Kit is 2400 11-11-11 but also 3T and was working fine at 1T:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732750
I have no idea why they use 3T. 2T is needed for some platforms but I haven't seen any board that needed 3T.

You can enable XMP and all timings marked as auto will use XMP settings. All these that you change manually will remain as you set them.

Now I see that latest 2400 10-12-12 Patriot kits had even 4T programmed in SPD but my Z87 motherboard was setting it to 2T:
http://www.funkykit.com/reviews/mem...m-red-memory-review/specification-and-package

So CPU-Z shows 3T on 'SPD' window under the XMP profile, but
still on 'Memory' window it says 2T. Which is it? Any way to confirm which am I really running? I would guess it's running 2T since the CPU-Z 'Memory' window shows 2T.

I can't find a CPU Tweaker version that has Haswell support.

edit. Aida64, however, shows CR 2T. I guess I'll try 1T and be done with it...

Last edited:
I have been running with 2133 CL11 and command rate 1 now, and it does seem stable, at least with the 4.1 overclock.

BTW, is there any software that would show my real-time RAM voltage?
And one that would show cache clock speed?

Your bios shows the ram voltage... or the ASUS software.

CPUz shows the cache clockspeed in the memory tab I believe...

Back