• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ram issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vot07

Hi total noob here when it comes to ram and understanding ram properly even tho i seem to read up about it daily...

running an amd965be c3 rev. overclocked to 3.8.
mobo is m4n98td evo

first question, my computer came with 4gb of ADATA XPG DDR3 1600g ram dual channel. It seems that I goofed up when I ordered an extra 4gb of adata xpg ddr3 1600g ram because i didnt select dual channel. Other then the dual channel and single channel everything else about the ram is the same and i tried to do some digging to see if this would effect performance... after surfing the net and getting extreamly confused i decided to turn here... since most of the useful advice helped me oc to a stable 3.8ghz on my cpu... anyway

My mobo supports dual channel but will running a mix of dual and single channel ram do anything to hinder my performance? In games and benchmarks? Currently the ram is installed and oced from 1600 to 1800mhz. it just seems that with 8gb of ram installed and oc'd i should be getting better scores on sandra lite.

any help would be nice, im all for getting my rig to go faster.

its also saying on sandra that i have an nvidia 8series mem controller... i have no idea what thats about.

2nd question, ive been reading up on the mobo and im seeing it say use ddr3 2000, 1600g or 2000g would switching from my current ram to ddr3 2000 be better?

ram is so confusing sorry to be a nub about it.

thanks for any help :D

Dual channel ram is just 2 sticks, with single being one and triple being 3 sticks of matching ram. So as long as you ordered and received two sticks, you can add it in with your others to get dual channel...

yeah, i got two sticks... in two different boxes.... each stick is 2gb of ddr3. I'm assuming that the ones that came installed on the pc were from a dual channel pack. 1pack 2 sticks of 2gb. but like i said everything about them is the same. only diff is the last 2 digits on the serial number stating if its from a dual channel pack or single channel pack

It shouldnt matter then. You are all set. Just pop them in and take a look at the memory tab in CPUz to confirm its still in dual channel!

Thanks man, I also called a bud up and got a crash course on ram... i'm running dual chan and things are good. cpuz is also confirming dual chan... i'm not sure why it wasn't before... maybe because of mem-ok or something.

Back