• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram overclock gives lower performance???? Ryzen 1600X Build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dosk3n

So I have set up my first overclock build using a Ryzen 1600X with a cooler master master liquid 240 and getting a stable 4ghz on 1.38v and a max temp on 54c at aida64 load. This was great as I got a extra 7-9 fps on Tomb Raider benchmark and an improvement in cinebench for an extra 5c at load an 2c at idle.

The problem I then have is when I overclock the RAM. My cinebench score goes down and I drop 3fps from the benchmark. I was under the impression that with Ryzens infinity fabric that a higher mhz will give improvements but this is not the case.

I have Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) Vengeance LPX but it isnt stable at 3200mhz so I set DOCP to profile 1 with profile default timings of 16 18 18 36 and kicked up the voltage to 1.37v and set the speed to 2933mhz.

Like I said this is giving me a drop in performance compared to when I turn off DOCP and leave RAM at default settings.

I am a complete noob with RAM overclocking so not sure where to go from here. Should I keep it at default or is there some other settings I can manually try to get some additional performance?

Some other users see the same issues when memory has "weird" settings or isn't fully stable. Just set it to what works best for you.
There are barely any memory kits designed for Ryzen that will work exactly like their profiles so I wouldn't worry about XMP or DOCP settings.

Thanks for your reply.

So would you recommend putting in a custom timing or upping the voltage to something more like 1.4v?

can check both and compare, as I said, whatever works best for you

Seen couple complain about corsair suck with Ryzen while G.Skill user had some success. But it is indeed a Samsung B-die for your memory, soo try first set correct timing and volt and see if it help.
If not, use XMP(DOCP) profile.

Run a test with both and see if there any difference.

Back