• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram prices?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pigpottomus

Anyone notice the price of Ram increase? I bought a pair of Kingston 8GB DDR3 Around this time last year and got them for 32 bucks. Now to go look back at it, its about 60 bucks now. But its not just kingston that i see that is like that.
Anyone have any ideas why?

I was wondering this recently too. You could also buy just a cheapo 4GB value stick for a few bucks, now they're like >$10. My sticks only cost $30 when I bought them, now you can't find them for less than $45.

I think that we were all spoiled by really cheap Ram for a while, yes I have noticed that they are a little but more expensive.

High end DDR3 are actually cheaper. I mean like 2400+ kits but they were always overpriced ;) . From what I see, price increased more for 1333-1600 modules that's why you can get many 1600 and 1866 or even 2133 kits in similar price.

Micron took over Japan's last remaining DRAM company and is in an alliance with Taiwan's biggest maker. According to dramXchange.com, server manufacturers and OEMs have made contracts with DRAM manufactures to secure supplies, rather than buy DRAM on the open market. Then there's the matter of learning curve pricing, where a decrease in demand leads to higher, not lower, prices.

meh we should have seen this coming it was getting pretty stupid cheap.

Everyone is so spoiled. Not too long ago I was paying $400 for 6gb of ram :D

yup still cheap in comparison to what we used to pay for RAM.
i think back what i payed for my BH-5 2x512. :D
RAM and quad cores are cheap considering what your getting.

yes sir it's a good time to be a PC builder :thup:

In another 5 years we will laugh at these prices.. but it is annoying as when the 4GB of Samsungs 1600 (2133) was $20 a stick I knew I should have just gotten the 16gb of them.. rather I simply got the 1 since it was enough, which it is, but now I would like to do more but ram is like 50% more.

At first I thought newegg simply was increasing the prices >.> since of the high demand.. my bad.

Back