• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

Well, I have an older desktop (~2 years) with a Gigbyte UD3R (If I remember correctly) mobo...

It's got 12 GB of RAM in it... but it has 6 slots, each with 2GB in it.

I was planning on testing my triple channel Corsair RAM in it when it comes just to make sure I don't get a dud from Newegg.

However, the ram I ordered has 3 modules, each with 4GB...

If I removed all of the original RAM in the older desktop, and only filled 3 slots with the Corsair RAM, would I be okay?

I actually have two sets of 4GB RAM modules coming, 12GB for each processor... so, could I plug them all in and I would have 24GB of RAM?

Confuzzled.

6 slots is still triple channel?

You do not want to mix and match ram.. even with the same main timings and voltages, things can get wonky.

3 and 6 slots are triple channel yes.

yes, you have 6 slot per bank on X58 platform ( SR-2 in your case have 2x the slots ).

You can test with 3 stick installed per 6 slot bank. It work. Even 1 or 2 stick will work but not in 3 channel DDR3.

Yeah I was planning on taking out all of the 2GBs when testing the newer RAM only using 3 slots.

But that's good to know.

Are there 12 slot motherboards?

And guy above me, read the post. I know my SR-2 will work, I researched the hell out of every single component... I was talking about testing RAM in my older computer -_-

Only server grade motherboard or board like the SR2 have more than the "normal" amount of memory slot.

EDIT: Wow, apparently I didn't research enough, now I feel dumb... Good to know I can always add more RAM to it, though...

Black and red is an interesting and hard to see color scheme... noted...

SR-2 is supporting up to 48GB RAM what means that you can use 4GB sticks in all 12 slots.
On this board you can probably mix 3 sticks + 6 sticks for each cpu and still will be working as triple channel.
On the same way UD3R should run with 6 sticks / 4GB each max so 24GB in total.
Also usually more memory sticks you use = lower clock you will have to set to keep them stable. For 48GB it's DDR3-1333 but I think that with 24GB it will probably run @1600+.

Back