• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram recommendation for Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Junglebizz

I have been working through some technical problems I have been having for a while with one of these boards and I think I have narrowed it down to the ram.

I sent the motherboard away on an RMA and after it came back, I still had issues with blue screens, crashes, glitches, etc (and one of the USB ports doesn't work anymore...), so the next step is to try some different ram.

I was using 2 sets of G.Skill ECO (F3-12800CL9D-4GBECO) ram and have had nothing but problems. Gigabyte tried to tell me the issue was that it was 1.35v low voltage ram, but I have seen people using this ram on this board.

I was thinking about the G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 1.5v to replace the ECO ram we have been using.

Does anyone have a different recommendation for ram I should get for this board or a certain ram they have had good success with on this board? I am just trying to run this system at stock settings.

Have you ran memtest or superpi32m to confirm its a ram issue and not something else?

I don't have a ram recommendation, sorry. However, what else have you done to troubleshoot, and can you swap out any other components? Can you reproduce the crashes by doing certain things, or are they intermittent?

Really seems random. I have tried the CPU from the system in my computer and had no problems, I have tried other ram in this system with no problems. After I got the board back from gigabyte, I put it all back together and it ran for 2 days without problems, so I gave it back to my friend and the issues have popped up again.

It's not to say that the issues only happen when she uses the computer or while it is at her place, I have had the issues happen while working on it too.

When I borrowed my friends G.Skill DDR3, we ran it for a week without any incidents which makes it seem like the ram could be the issue.

I have run prime95 on the blend test for days without a crash but once again, it seems random. Sometimes, the workers would fail within a minute or 2 and other times they keep going and going. I have run memtest for days as well with no issues, so as you can see, I am getting conflicting possibilities for the problem but I have been dealing with this for a while now.

I have the UD5 on one of my systems and so far have ran these kits without issue:

Corsair CMT4GX3M2A2000C8 --> Ran at 1600 stock timings without any problem. They will run at 1600 with much tighter timings as well....

Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 --> Ran at 1600 stock timings without a problem.

Kingston KHX1600C9AD3K2/4G -> Running in the system right now at 1600 8-8-8 without any issue.

I run an 890fx-ud5/1055t. G.skill f3 pc12800cl9d 9-9-9-24 works great. Actually more stable when pushed than the sets of g.skill pc12800cl8d 8-8-8-24 or AData pc16000 9-9-9-24. I recommend the cl9d if you are not ocing too high. It is forgiving with timings to 8-8-8-24 at speeds of up to 1700 or so but it can do 1600 8-8-8-20 or 9-9-9 even with 1t. As long as your cpu/freq and multi don't drag it too high. It's my goto ram, stable from 1333 to 1700. It may take more than 1.5v at 1600, 1.35 to 1.6 depending. And it has a pretty red heatsink.;) The AData is a little more picky with speed and timings. I should say that I bench and test my systems for stability, the g. skill's are very stable at stock 1600Mhz.

The Ripjaws X says designed for P67 and SandyBridge. Don't know about AMD. Should go with something that is a known.

Last edited:
If changing the RAM doesn't solve the issue I would try a different power supply.

Can a power supply cause blue screens though? Most of the blue screens from what I have seen have been related to memory in some way. Things like BAD_POOL_HEADER or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

A bad power supply will drive you nuts trying to figure out what the problem is, It can and WILL affect any part of the hardware/software. This is one of the reasons you will see a lot of posts on here about never buying a cheap power supply or make sure its a big enough power supply to do what you need. Pushing one to its limits will affect a system also.

A bad power supply will drive you nuts trying to figure out what the problem is, It can and WILL affect any part of the hardware/software. This is one of the reasons you will see a lot of posts on here about never buying a cheap power supply or make sure its a big enough power supply to do what you need. Pushing one to its limits will affect a system also.

I could give that a try. It is a corsair TX850 like mine.

I had considered the power supply also, but didn't suggest it due to thinking it was a corsair tx850 as listed in the sig. Since its your friends but it is still that PSU, I wouldn't expect problems, but CGS Drone is right - possible power supply issues can drive you batty. It can seem like everything is going wrong... Easiest way to judge that is by increasing or decreasing the load, and seeing if the problems seem better or worse.

I'd stick with blaming the ram with what you've reported so far.

I had considered the power supply also, but didn't suggest it due to thinking it was a corsair tx850 as listed in the sig. Since its your friends but it is still that PSU, I wouldn't expect problems, but CGS Drone is right - possible power supply issues can drive you batty. It can seem like everything is going wrong... Easiest way to judge that is by increasing or decreasing the load, and seeing if the problems seem better or worse.

I'd stick with blaming the ram with what you've reported so far.

The system in my sig is not the system in question but it turns out the model of PSU in it is the same :)

I suppose I could swap mine into the system and see how it runs.

As for changing the load, I have tried unplugging every unnecessary device to eliminate as many variables as possible and i still had issues. I tried 2 sticks out of the 4 and still had issues.

I think I will try the psu though getting it out of the system is going to be tough. I tried pretty hard to tie/hide the cables...

I would leave the one in there and just set the other one on the desk while you are testing. :)

good call.the cables are long enough i could probably leave it in the one system and extend the cords across into the other case. :thup:

Well, took my power supply and hooked it up in the troubled system and it got a BSOD like usual in about 5 minutes, so I guess that rules out the PSU. I guess it's time to try some new RAM. :bang head

i was thinking the psu myself i just had to upgrade mine from a tx750 after changing from a three was sli with gtx 9800's to one gtx 470 with a 9800 for physx.i would keep blue screening myself after about 5 minutes right about when the system was finely all warmed up=(( you might want to check gigabyte's site for approved ram,i haven't used a giga board in years but im sure they have a list of tested and approved ram modules like asus does for your motherboard.

i was thinking the psu myself i just had to upgrade mine from a tx750 after changing from a three was sli with gtx 9800's to one gtx 470 with a 9800 for physx.i would keep blue screening myself after about 5 minutes right about when the system was finely all warmed up=(( you might want to check gigabyte's site for approved ram,i haven't used a giga board in years but im sure they have a list of tested and approved ram modules like asus does for your motherboard.

When I first built the system, I found some ram I wanted to get, checked the list on the gigabyte website, saw it was there and bought it. After countless issues, I was dealing with the gigabyte tech support guys and they told me the ram I am using is NOT supported even though it is on the list. I still ahve the original messages:

Me
I referred to the memory support list on the giga-byte.ca website in the link below before I purchased this memory to verify that this memory was compatible:

http://giga-byte.ca/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3519#ov

If you go to the 10th item listed under the DDR3 1600 heading in the memory list on page 1, you will find the model of memory I am using. Are you saying that this memory is in fact NOT supported even though your memory support list for this motherboard shows it as being supported?

Gigabyte
Dear customer,
All memory model on the list are 1.5v type, if memory was on the list but voltage spec was 1.35v type that cannot be supported,
When you look at the top the bold topic will see :
Memory modules listed below are for reference only. Due to massive memory models on the market, we can only verify some of them, and when you look at the mother board manual page 10 on memory information will see 4x 1.5v DDR3 up to 16G detail info.
Please contact memory vendor exchange memory to 1.5v type.

Best regards,

Gigabyte technical support team.

Guess he was wrong in more ways than one and I wouldn't trust the list.

sorry you having such problems with your gigabyte board there generally one of the best board makers out there but i have had problems with them myself in the past so i switched to asus and have never had a problem with them yeat=)) hope you figure out your issues without it costing you and arm and a leg.

sorry you having such problems with your gigabyte board there generally one of the best board makers out there but i have had problems with them myself in the past so i switched to asus and have never had a problem with them yeat=)) hope you figure out your issues without it costing you and arm and a leg.

see jazon1, I had the opposite experience. I had nothing but troubles with ASUS so I switched to other companies. I have since had great success with Epox, DFI, MSI, and especially Gigabyte.

QuietIce, interestingly enough, I have run into people who run the 1.35v ram on this board with the same CPU (1090T) and have had great success. Maybe because they are overclocking the crap out of it and giving it more power, I don't know, but this was definitely a purchase I shouldn't have made. Now I will have to try and sell them for my friend after the new G.SKill Ripjaws X arrive.

Back