• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM that will fit with Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 cooler on Asus x79 motherboerd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lanzia

Registered
Hello all,

I am looking for good DDR3 1600mhz memory which wil fit with a Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 cooler on a Asus x79 deluxe motherboard.
Hope you guys can advise me.

Thanks in advance
Lanzia

You can also use high profile modules w/ removable heatsinks, or the NF-P12 fan can be moved upwards or removed for clearance for RAM like the Corsair DOM's...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 614
Thanks you all very much for the quick answers. I got a couple of more questions I hope you guys can help with.

First one is about memory mhz, if I prefer a stabel machine over a faster memory is it correct to go for 1600mhz, even if the motherboard supports faster memory?

Second. Im looking for 16 GB and I see some kits are marked as "quad kits"
Does this only mean that the 4 modules are tested together and am I better of buying a kit then seperate modules or is this a different story?

Third question. is there like a "best brand" or are for example the G-skills modules and Corsair modules just as good?

And the last question. What about CAS Latency, I see there is a difference like 8-8-8-24 and 9-9-9-24, doest is matter what I pick?

Thanks in advance,
Lanzia

Last edited:
Thanks you all very much for the quick answers. I got a couple of more questions I hope you guys can help with.

First one is about memory mhz, if I prefer a stabel machine over a faster memory is it correct to go for 1600mhz, even if the motherboard supports faster memory?

Does this only mean that the 4 modules are tested together and am I better of buying a kit then seperate modules or is this a different story?

Third question. is there like a "best brand" or are for example the G-skills modules and Corsair modules just as good?

And the last question. What about CAS Latency, I see there is a difference like 8-8-8-24 and 9-9-9-24, doest is matter what I pick?

Thanks in advance,
Lanzia

Higher mHz rating means it should run stable at a higher speed. The kits question needs to be answered by someone who knows a little bit more than me, G.Skill and Corsair are both considered good names (I'm actually running some of the Ares sticks right now), and the lower numbers for CAS Latency are preferable. That being said, it may not be worth the extra price for slightly faster RAM for you and really depends on what you're trying to do with it.. and again someone who knows a bit more than me will have a better way to help you decide what's worth it :)

First one is about memory mhz, if I prefer a stable machine over a faster memory is it correct to go for 1600mhz, even if the motherboard supports faster memory?

38/39XX and 48/49XX CPUs on socket 2011 all support higher memory speeds than 1600Mhz and going for a higher memory speed will not affect your system stability. However, for daily use, outside of benchmarking, 1600-1866Mhz is sufficient. You won't, for example, gain FPS in a game by having 2133 RAM vs 1600.

You ideally want to buy your RAM in a kit. You will want a quad kit as you need to fill four RAM channels.

G-skill and Corsair do not make RAM. They just sell it. Companies like Elpida and Samsung make RAM and sell those chips to companies like Corsair. So you could find out who makes the actual IC on the RAM modules and ask if that IC is good or not as it relates to overclocking, but for general use its all going to run the same for you.

Lower (tighter) timings mean faster RAM. But again, you won't feel the performance increase.

SB-E ( 3820/3930K/3960X ) officially supports DDR3-1600, IB-E ( 4820K/4930K/4960K ) also DDR3-1866 but it doesn't mean it can't run stable at higher clocks. I have no issues with 4930K and DDR3-2400.

I see there is less issues with G.Skill or Kingston than some other brands mainly because of the way they make XMP profiles. I'm not a big Corsair fan especially that their memory cost more than competition.

I think that something like 1866 9-9-9 / 9-10-9 will be optimal for X79 and shouldn't be any issues with stability no matter if it's SB-E or IB-E. From kits like that are for example ARES 1866 9-10-9 that supposed to be on similar chips as Crucial 1600/1866 but G.Skill is cheaper.

Im Still looking for (1866mhz) RAM unfortunately,
I checked the QVL and the SNIPER and ARES are not on it.

The G Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBZL, RipjawsZ, XMP 1.3 are on it. Not sure if this is a good option?
They sure aint the best looking in my opinion.

The Corsair (CMD16GX3M4A1866C9, Dominator Platinum) is also on it but this things look huge with that weird thing on top, not sure that will fit with the cooler and its very expensive anyway.

Besides that there are not much 4*4GB 1866mhz alternatives listed on the QVL

Which motherboard?

RAM is RAM, any of it with the correct speed/timings should work just fine.

Back