• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM upgrade question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fashion_m

RAM upgrade question - mixing kits

Hi, guys, time has come to upgrade my RAM. My mobo is Asus P5K/EPU. My RAM Corsair XMS2 DHX — 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 Memory Kit (TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX) that's two modules put on the yellow slots. The question is what can I put on the black slots; should it be exactly the same kit or I can put Corsair XMS2 DHX — 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 Memory Kit (TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX) (has the same specs as the first kit, but is 2x2GB rather than 2x1GB.
PS. Is it stupid that I bought such a high end modules and I don't overcklock?

Last edited:
Since your on the P35 platform, you want your RAM to be dual channel, in 2 or 4 stick configurations. However, you've been running single channel this entire time, so you'll be fine.

Will it work? Yes. Will one stick be faster? Yes, you'll be taking advantage of dual channel mode.

If you don't NEED the 6GB, go with 4GB, or get both kits and future proof at 8GB.

However, you've been running single channel this entire time
You misunderstood something. I've been running in dual channel all this time. Corsair XMS2 DHX — 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 Memory Kit (TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX) are actually two modules, dual channel kit.
prod270.jpg

My mobo has four RAM slots - two yellow and two black. What happens if I have two equivalent modules in the yellow slots (a dual channel kit) and one module in a black slot? Does my memory run in a dual channel mode?

Guys, I managed to complete this upgrade successfully! Now I have 2x2GB+2x1GB=6GB RAM! Dual-channel symmetric mode. That's colossal 6144MB of operating memory!
I am happy :)

Last edited:
Back