• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

So I just found out that my Corsair XMS3 9-9-9-27 1333mhz RAM is rated for 1.5v but is running at 1.65v on my system?

Is this dangerous? Should I downvolt it? Will it affect my 3.5GHz overclock?

According to EVGA E-Leet, its running at 2:8, 3,120 MHz NB Frequency,
780.1MHz DRAM Frequency.

No idea why it was running at 1.65v as default, I just figured that's what its voltage was. :L

Is this running in your Xeon system? What are you other overclock settings? What ram:cpu ratio are you running? Are you using speedstep?

If your ram is running at 780mhz, then its running 1560mhz at ? timing ?

If your all on AUTO in the bios, more than often the motherboard do not recognize the RAM correctly, setting wrong timing/speed/volts. I alwais manual my Ram timing/speed/volts spec in the bios.

If your all on AUTO in the bios, more than often the motherboard do not recognize the RAM correctly, setting wrong timing/speed/volts.

Yeah that is what I was leaning towards, although the jump from 1.5v to 1.65v will not damage your ram.

Its not so much incorrect as it will set it to the JEDEC timings for the sticks for compatibility reasons...usually. When it doesnt, its incorrect, :p!

Last edited:
Is this running in your Xeon system? What are you other overclock settings? What ram:cpu ratio are you running? Are you using speedstep?

Yes, I don't know what other overclock settings your talking about, I only set the Xeon E5620s to 3.5GHz by putting the BLCK at 195. RAM/CPU ratio? 12GB per CPU, 3x4GB in each line of RAM slots per CPU.

If your all on AUTO in the bios, more than often the motherboard do not recognize the RAM correctly, setting wrong timing/speed/volts. I alwais manual my Ram timing/speed/volts spec in the bios.

BIOS is a big place, be more specific =P

Yeah that is what I was leaning towards, although the jump from 1.5v to 1.65v will not damage your ram.

Which is what I figured as well since a lot of RAM does run at 1.65v normally so I was like "Oh this RAM must be that voltage" but then I looked at the invoice for it and it said 1.5v.

Culbrelai said:
BIOS is a big place, be more specific =P

Culbrelai Sig
Mobile: MSI Force 1761 - i7-2670QM @2.20 GHZ, nVidia GTX 580m 2GB, 8GB RAM, 2x 750GB HDDs @ 7200RPM
Current: Case: CM Cosmos II
MoBo: EVGA SR-2
CPUs: 2x Xeon E5620 (First Time Overclocked to 3.4)
Cooling: 2x CM 212 EVO
PSU: Corsair AX1200
RAM: 24GB Corsair XMS3 1333mhz
GFX: Zotac GTX 670 4GB

This is alwais making me sick :chair:

:cry:

I dont know your SR-2 bios exactly but you alwais have a memory settings tab somewhere.

Freq and volts controll
sr2_bios_1.jpg

Here you can set your memory speed, and acces timing in the memory config section.
sr2_bios_3.jpg

This is your memory timing page. this first 4 are the one u find on your memory stick.
sr2_bios_5.jpg

What does CPUz SPD tab show?

weird.png

Which is wrong, because the BIOS says the 1.6xx values that I set it to after talking to the people on the EVGA forum about how to configure the RAM for overclocking, they too assumed (I assume...) that the RAM was 1.65v. I didn't change it from 1.5v to 1.65, it was already on that as a default. They just said that the SR-2 shoots higher on the voltages for RAM for some reason and it was like at 1.67 and they said that was too high and to lower it, so I did. CPUID Hardware monitor says 1.65ish, EVGA E-Leet says that as well.

This is alwais making me sick

Lol, why?

I dont know your SR-2 bios exactly but you alwais have a memory settings tab somewhere.

Alright ill look.

EDIT:

This is the ram I bought

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145332

2x of them.

They're really 1.5v, lol.

These table on CPUz are telling you some JEDEC speed/timing/volts that your RAM may be able to run without issue.

You can simply stick with the numbers on the memory sticker and/or the one on the web page from you memory serial number.

It's not wrong (Cpuz). It reads those values directly from the ram. You need to set it at those values listed as they will(should) work like that.

Oh so I can lower the RAM voltage to 1.5 and everything will be the same, my OC won't be affected?

:L

Your CPU overclock, no. If your memory is overclocked, of course it will. As you can(should) be able to read, that memory is rated at 1.5v 1333Mhz 9-9-9-24 (If I remember correctly, my office blocks pictures hosted externally).

As ED mentioned just as long as your CPU overclock is not reliant on a RAM overclock. That is, if your ram is still running at stock clocks a voltage change will not effect anything.

Erm I don't think my memory is overclocked, lol, ya and I can read XD my mobo set it to 1.65v -_-

Back