• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rampage IV extreme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dbvanhorn

I see this card is highly regarded for 2011 socket builds, but I'm puzzled in that it seems to be an older card. I'm starting to place orders for my next build, and I would welcome any input at this point.

I'm building with an i7 3970x.

Recommendations?

RIVE is an excellent motherboard with tons of bios support from Asus. RIVF is also a very good choice from asus if you want to save some buck but it seems like you have too much money ;)

There is no such thing as a fast enough computer. (I've been saying that since my 8k SRAM 6502 based machine, an OSI-C1P)

There is no such thing as a fast enough computer. (I've been saying that since my 8k SRAM 6502 based machine, an OSI-C1P)

Its all up to you ! A 3930k is as fast as a 3970x ( clock for clock ) and will OC to pretty much the same. 3970x only advantage is 15mb of cache VS 12mb for the 3930k.

Fast is a relative term, it all depends on what you are planning on doing with it. Some programs/games do not use multiple cores therefore having a higher clocked 4 core will be "faster" then a 6 core. Clearly the 3970x is a really "fast" cpu, though. To comment on the motherboard, unless you are planning on some serious benchmarking/overclocking using DICE/LN2 it is total overkill but it is a nice board.

Ok, that's fine, but neither does much without a motherboard. I didn't want to get inaccurate recommendations by not stating the correct chip.

So assuming the 3930k or the 3970x, I'm still wondering why this seemingly rather old motherboard is so highly regarded, and wondering if there's something newer that I should be looking at.

I'd like a board that takes full advantage of the processor.

USB3 ports are important, fast HD controllers.

Just for once, I'd like to get a "full kit" motherboard, not open the box and find out that there was some cool option that isn't on this version, and nobody can get the part that the manual says "see your retailer" for.

Its all about what you need.
More sata ?
More Overclocking feature?
"weird" PCIe spacing for GPU's / sound card / PCIe SSD / other ?
Gaming and/or Crunching/folding/3Drendering ?

The RIVE and RIVF are not "old", they are socket 2011, X79 chipset and any newer X79 board will support the same CPU but some companie may just add some other/different feature on the board.

Overclocking is good, but the farthest I'm going to go is water cooling.
SATA ports are good, I'm currently running four in my old system, I'll likely increase.

3D rendering is an issue, I work with Povray for simulation of light pipes using solidworks models, and in Altium for PCB layout with 3D modeling which also uses solidworks models.

I don't really do much in gaming, no time. :(

The video card will be a 690 or a Titan, but I'm waiting for the dust to settle a bit on that one. Processor cores help Povray more, the card processors help more with solidworks and altium.

A Titan could be a very strong choice for the kind of work you do. Get a 3930k and only the money saved VS the 3970x can get you a second Titan ;)

Both the RIVF and the RIVE will do it. Even a P9X79 pro could be OK.

I'm going to buck the Asus trend and suggest an MSI Big Bang Xpower 2. I have one, along with a Rampage IV Formula, and used to have a Rampage IV Extreme. I prefer the MSI, but they are all good. One thing I hate is Asus' support and RMA, they are terrible!

Here is a nice review on the BBXP2: http://www.overclockers.com/msi-big-bang-xpower-ii-x79

Boulard: A 3930 will only get him half way to a second Titan over the 3970. That said, I would save the money and go with the 3930k without a doubt. 3MB cache isn't worth it.

Very happy user of the RIVE, bought it at launch of the X79 chipset to go with a 3960X. Price has dropped a little, but still holding its value nonethless. It is an awesome board for OCing and running multiple vid cards. Btw, I had intended to get tge 3930K at launch, but severe shortage of that CPU forced me to upped the CPU to a much more expensive and easily available 3960X. I do know that the MSI offering is also pretty good, as well as Asrock.

I am loving my RIVE so far.
I've been blown away by it with the gtx 670 SLI combo. I couldn't imagine this thing with 2 Titans....

You do know that the ASUS ROG line is designed for one purpose, extreme overclocking and competitive benchmarking. If you're not running liquid nitrogen or dry ice and competitively benchmarking on HWBot, an ASUS ROG board is overkill and doesn't offer any real benefit over a standard ASUS P9X79 series board.

You do know that the ASUS ROG line is designed for one purpose, extreme overclocking and competitive benchmarking. If you're not running liquid nitrogen or dry ice and competitively benchmarking on HWBot, an ASUS ROG board is overkill and doesn't offer any real benefit over a standard ASUS P9X79 series board.

You know I think it's funny when I see the "ln2/DICE" comment. I have seen more of these boards(on the internets) running either WCing or an AIO WCer than I have ever seen ln2 or DICE.
The intent for the board may have been ln2/DICE benching, but the the majority of these boards are being used in custom "bling" builds with normal, regular(however you want to word it) OCs...
These boards are perfect for the person that wants to build a custom rig with the red/black color scheme.
Expensive? Yes, but cost isn't everything to everyone...

There are other cheaper boards with a red/black color scheme, such as EVGA, the ASRock Fatal1ty line, etc.

I just find "bling" builds hilarious as computers are so trivial compared to the actual good you could do in the world with that money. But each to his own.

People tend to buy what they want anyway, not what they need. Is that right? Well, that's up to you to decide, but I always think about how many problems we could solve if everyone cut out all of the "excess" out of their life and donated all that money to a worthy cause.

Well as you said Knufire "to each thier own"... That's what makes this world the mish mosh of interesting things it is...
On a side note. It's going to take a lot more than people cutting out the "excess"(money) to fix this world we live in.
We seem to have a knack for hurting one another on a scale of total annihilation and unless we learn(way of thinking, not money) to appreciate one another for what we are it will never change... But I digress. Discussion for another time maybe?

Well I study developmental economics, and so the problems I was referring to weren't necessary violent, but you do make a very good point. Either way, way off topic for this thread. :p

Last edited:
You are both right... It is made for Extreme overclocking, and plenty do use it otherwise...however there are boards that will accomplish the same thing, for A LOT less money. That is what we do here is get people the best bang for their buck. And unless they are using a ROG board or similar for that purpose (LN2/DI) it IS a waste of cash (to us). We educate, they buy based on that. I wouldnt have in a million years went RIVE and 3820 for example (hell, the 3820 is a peculiar purchase on that platform to a lot of people), and went 3770k and Extreme 6 for what, $300 less? That $300 would have gotten you a better and larger SSD to name one example which is an improvement that you can actually FEEL, versus a mobo like that which is being underutilized. Its like buying a Nissan GT-R but only being allowed to drive it in a school zone. Buy a Civic, save $60k. :p

To each their own.. again, we educate, people buy what they feel. I, like Knu, am also one not to spend on frivolous things like that if I dont have to and we share that feeling.

Last edited:
Back