• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rampage IV extreme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You are both right... It is made for Extreme overclocking, and plenty do use it otherwise...however there are boards that will accomplish the same thing, for A LOT less money. That is what we do here is get people the best bang for their buck. And unless they are using a ROG board or similar for that purpose (LN2/DI) it IS a waste of cash (to us). We educate, they buy based on that. I wouldnt have in a million years went RIVE and 3820 for example (hell, the 3820 is a peculiar purchase on that platform to a lot of people), and went 3770k and Extreme 6 for what, $300 less? That $300 would have gotten you a better and larger SSD to name one example which is an improvement that you can actually FEEL, versus a mobo like that which is being underutilized. Its like buying a Nissan GT-R but only being allowed to drive it in a school zone. Buy a Civic, save $60k. :p

To each their own.. again, we educate, people buy what they feel. I, like Knu, am also one not to spend on frivolous things like that if I dont have to and we share that feeling.

I personally know a lot of people that buy very expensive cars just to park them in a garage/shop and put them under a tarp never to drive them at all....
It is what it is.......

But I wouldn't call those decisions reasonable or intelligent, and likewise, I'm going to try to convince people who post here to stay away from that type of thinking.

I personally know a lot of people that buy very expensive cars just to park them in a garage/shop and put them under a tarp never to drive them at all....
It is what it is.......

But I wouldn't call those decisions reasonable or intelligent, and likewise, I'm going to try to convince people who post here to stay away from that type of thinking.
I see where you, Tony, are going here, but this is computers, not cars. Your example is an INVESTMENT as, generally, they would go UP in price. Your RIVE in 5 years will cost dimes to the dollar (pennies are extreme, LOL!). Whereas that Lamborghini Aventador in a limited run production stored in Richy Rich's garage under a tarp, will likely be worth more decades down the road (Mecum Auto Auctions ring a bell?). There is a distinct difference there. Not to mention, this is a PC forum and my opinion only matters here. Now, if I was in the Robb Report forum or something, that would be a different story.

+1 to Knu's 2nd half of his post, the first part, I refer to above.

I see where you, Tony, are going here, but this is computers, not cars. Your example is an INVESTMENT as, generally, they would go UP in price. Your RIVE in 5 years will cost dimes to the dollar (pennies are extreme, LOL!). Whereas that Lamborghini Aventador in a limited run production stored in Richy Rich's garage under a tarp, will likely be worth more decades down the road. There is a distinct difference there. Not to mention, this is a PC forum and my opinion only matters here. Now, if I was in the Robb Report forum or something, that would be a different story.

+1 to Knu's 2nd half of his post, the first part, I refer to above.

I think you missed my point ED...
It takes all kinds to make this world go-round as it were. Why do we do the things we do? I don't even think we know...
Most my friends that own these cars don't talk about them as an investment. It's a passion and they wont part with them.
Some people are cross country runners and spend hundres on shoes, some people like extreme sports to the point they die doing it... Probably against the good advice of others not to do it. I could go on and on, but we are way off topic here... :)

No, I get it... just didnt agree with how the analogy was framed.

We get people the best hardware for the money they want to spend. I dont suggest a RIVE to someone that wont use it is all. What they do beyond that advice isnt my problem. :)

/end OT (you are welcome to PM if you like however).

And I get where you and Knu are coming from too and to honest yours and Knus are probably the better advise, but the title of the thread is "Rampage iv extreme" so it's apparent the OP was already heading in that direction...

Again, educate, and let the OP make the choice. Wouldnt you want to know everything so you can make the most informed decision you can? That is all we are doing. The board is made for X? Are you doing X? If not, get Y or Z that is a lot cheaper. After we educate, its out of our hands but it is, IMO, a tragedy not to share that information to make the person doing the buying a more informed consumer.

Again, educate, and let the OP make the choice. Wouldnt you want to know everything so you can make the most informed decision you can? That is all we are doing. The board is made for X? Are you doing X? If not, get Y or Z that is a lot cheaper. After we educate, its out of our hands but it is, IMO, a tragedy not to share that information to make the person doing the buying a more informed consumer.

I couldn't agree more ED... Well said.

Back