• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

random chkdsk at windows 7 startup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PlayMaker

Registered
Hey all, after playing some WoW last night I turned off my computer (everything seemed to be in order). This morning when I started up my computer I looked away for a moment then back and saw that chkdsk was running through a 3 step process that ran about roughly 90 seconds. I have no idea what all the messages firing across my screen said so quickly but now I'm started up and the computer is working fine. Is this unusual? I did recently upgrade my motherboard and cpu, also backed up/copied quite a few of files from my hard-drive to a secondary one. I know this is fairly vague in details but any ideas? (windows 7 64 bit btw)

Check to see if the boot volumes' dirty bit is set by typing fsutil dirty query c: at an administrative command prompt (Run as administrator).

FYI, with FAT, it's always normal for Chkdsk to run when not shut down properly.

With NTFS, it's a more serious problem.

You should run chkdsk /f every so often, to make sure your drive is not generating too many lost/corrupted files.

Open a Command box and type chkdsk /f

It will ask if its ok to run at the next boot, answer yes. Then reboot.

Look for errors generated during the check process. Sometimes serious errors need to have the chkdsk /r run, which checks your hard drive for surface errors as well as file system problems.

Back