• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random crashes at night

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dlaw

I leave my computer running at night so antivirus can run without getting in my way. The last two nights in a row, it has crashed and returned to my boot screen (I have GRUB handling boot). I ran memtest86 to 100% with no issues, ran CCleaner's registry scan, and only a couple of problems related to a recent uninstall of programs I don't use (ATI Catalyst drivers related to my on board graphics, did not have CCleaner fix), ran P95 for a couple hours with no problems, played a game or 2 of CoD4 (game crashed, but it does that randomly for some reason related to punkbuster, and I gave up trying to fix it a while back), and checked my process list for anything I didn't recognize. I did this all yesterday, before going to bed. By the way, it ran all day yesterday without a problem.

It crashed again last night. Yesterday morning, when I booted into Windows (after running memtest), I got an error stating that Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown. No such error today. Any ideas?

I forgot to add: I had the same problem a month or so ago, and upon closer inspection (and with my girlfriends step dad's help), I found that the DIMM closest to the CPU wasn't seated all the way. It has run fine since, until the past 2 nights.

Get a mem dump and use minidump to open it a see what went wrong. Or post up the mem dump here. Once you get the code (eg. 0x0000007B) you can google it.

This is just a complete guess as there is no info to go on but if you are doing a virus scan you are putting stress on the HDD. If you have a secondary HDD controller on board try switching it to that controller and see if it happens again.
Generally the ports are a different color for the different controller.

Try dropping it back to a quad and setting the speed and voltage back to auto. I had the same issue with my 555 = B55. At first I thought it was updates but it seems that when the thing was idle too long the it would just crash and reboot. I added voltage and it fixed it but I finally decided to put it back to dual and OC higher.

That sounds like what's going on here. Probably a bad core then, right? I wish I could figure out which one it is, so I could just disable that one. Oh well. Thanks, I'll try that then.

That sounds like what's going on here. Probably a bad core then, right? I wish I could figure out which one it is, so I could just disable that one. Oh well. Thanks, I'll try that then.

Try upping the voltage a hair if that is the issue but I found that because one of the cores was not up to par everything was faster as a dual. If I want to use it a a quad for a crunch or fold I can and it is error free and no issues as long as I keep it under load.

Back