• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random Restarts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elluzion

What do these mean? I am running Video card at stock clocks, Cpu at 3ghz 24 hr prime stable. Mem at 5-5-5-15 2.0v passes memtest....

I dont understand whats wrong???

Stats in sig.

Sounds like your setup isn't completely stable. Your memory might be unstable. Memtest isn't very reliable for checking stability. Did you try Orthos blend? That's a much better test of your memory stability. If you fail Orthos blend within 8 hours, I would say either you need more memory voltage or more northbridge voltage.

well i reset my clocks and it has been fine. I dont know what it was. I will have to do large ftt or whatever that thing is to test the memory also with prime.

ok after reseting stock clocks i got a random restart!!! what else could explain this?

i have a corsair 520hx, that is a great *** psu.

I upped my ram voltage and it still did a restart. I am running ram at 5-5-5-18 2.2v and everything else is stock.... could it be a connection???

Random restarts are usually hardware related. Lower your OC. Reset bios to default settings. If necessary go all the way back to stock to find the spot where the restarts stop. If they don't you can suspect faulty memory, faulty board, faulty video card, even a faulty hard drive. You need to replace each one and see if that fixes the problem.

Given your setup, I would suspect the memory first. Crucial has been having some reliablity problems.

My First Rig Below Up And Running [Water Cooling Working, Time To Overclock]
case: LIAN LI PC-A70B Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower
mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
cpu: Q6600 G0 @ 3.0ghz (1.30625v)
mem: Crucial Ballistix 2gb (2x1gb) DDR2 800
psu: Corsair 520hx
gfx: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 512Mmb
cooling: Watercooling

The Powersupply is your perp....get a new one.

My First Rig Below Up And Running [Water Cooling Working, Time To Overclock]
case: LIAN LI PC-A70B Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower
mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
cpu: Q6600 G0 @ 3.0ghz (1.30625v)
mem: Crucial Ballistix 2gb (2x1gb) DDR2 800
psu: Corsair 520hx
gfx: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 512Mmb
cooling: Watercooling

The Powersupply is your perp....get a new one.

the powersupply is NOT the problem.

How can I check if the mem is bad? memtest?

No real way to know for sure without swapping it with a new/different set. Seeing that you're using Crucial Ballistix, it's certainly possible the memory is bad since they have a very high failure rate.

I do concur that it's not your power supply, I would have thought that until I noticed which power supply you were using. There is nothing wrong with that power supply.

Memtest86+ found my errors in about 6 seconds. :) I ended up taking out one stick and running, then the other to find the bad module. May just want to run the machine on one, then if it reboots, swap it out.

Memtest86+ found my errors in about 6 seconds. :) I ended up taking out one stick and running, then the other to find the bad module. May just want to run the machine on one, then if it reboots, swap it out.

Thanks. You were very helpful :beer:

Well i did do Find max on ati tool a bit ago and it cud have messed up my card, but i havent seen any artifacts but how can I know for sure?

it could be my ram for sure, I will have to test it....

i ran memtest standard test and got 0 errors

then i wanted to run each test so I ran test zero got 200 pass 0 errors and haven't had time to run any more. Would it have shown up by now?

It could be my video card, maybe it got messed up when i did the "Find max core" in ati tool. but how can I know for sure? should i run 3dmark?

do not run "find max core" that never works correctly and that could be your problem. you can run 3dmark in a loop and make sure you touch everything in your case. in ati tool what does it say your temp is. remove the overclock from ati tools

do not run "find max core" that never works correctly and that could be your problem. you can run 3dmark in a loop and make sure you touch everything in your case. in ati tool what does it say your temp is. remove the overclock from ati tools

i know it was an accident I didn't know about it before I did it. When i restarted my clocks reset and everything is default. (this happened about 1 month ago)

how would I know for sure its the GFX card?

how do I know if 3dmark has a problem or whatever, will it lock up and freeze???

in ati tool it says my temp is 50c on the GPU (this is at 29 fan speed [default])

Last edited:
Back