• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random Restarts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Guys. could this be the problem. my 4 pin atx connector and 24 pin atx connector. I bought 2 extensions for each so I could route the cables around the back of my motherboard plate and over the top.

SO its setup: Power Supper 24 pin atx > extension > another extension that goes to the mobo
Power Supply 4 pin atx > extension > another extension tha goes to the mobo

could their be insuffiencet power getting to the atx connectors since its spread over 2 extensions???

Guys. could this be the problem. my 4 pin atx connector and 24 pin atx connector. I bought 2 extensions for each so I could route the cables around the back of my motherboard plate and over the top.

SO its setup: Power Supper 24 pin atx > extension > another extension that goes to the mobo
Power Supply 4 pin atx > extension > another extension tha goes to the mobo

could their be insuffiencet power getting to the atx connectors since its spread over 2 extensions???

No, that's not the problem. It's the memory.

those cables have nothing to do with it
go buy a 20 dollor stick of ram put it in and it will work or borrow a stick from someone

No, that's not the problem. It's the memory.

well then why would both memory modules be bad? isn't it unlikely that it would be both? shouldn't it be 1 or the other,,, both failed when i tested each on their own.... ok so the extensions probably aren't the cause.

yeah i'll try some cheap ram.

^yeah true. I can get a 512mb 240pin stick of corsair ram for $10 + $5 shipping. Sounds like a good investment.

My pc is annoying me. I have been stressing the Video card, Mem, and CPU and no restarts for a long time. It wont restart currently.

I also did a HDD test and it passed fine... this is fishy.

hey guys i got a 300w PSU i am going to test with..wish me luck

Update the powersupply is old and wont work with my motherboard (doesn't have the connectors I need)

IS THIS A CLUE? I booted up, and right when I pulled my Headphone/Mic (its a usb) out of the motherboard the computer shut down. At the exact moment. Coinsidence??? or not?

Also i have my power cables plugged directly into the mobo, not through extensions and it has been working fine. I will see if it restarts. i will be running it 24/7..

Ok guys. I have ruled out what th eproblem was.

The extension cables from my power supply to motherboard.

Now i have the power supply cable directly into my mobo and havne't had a hiccup. thanks everyone for the help.

How do I check the extensions to make sure they are set up correctly? I rewired the 4 pin atx connectors so one of them could have been accidently swapped wrong. Is their a way to check?

Back