• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random Restarts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Guys, i ran Memtest 2.0, test #1, and my pc shut down and rebooted in a matter of secondsss. but when i ran it again, it was fine and went through it. I am going to try switching out 1 ram stick at a time...

Guys, i ran Memtest 2.0, test #1, and my pc shut down and rebooted in a matter of secondsss. but when i ran it again, it was fine and went through it. I am going to try switching out 1 ram stick at a time...

Yep, try one stick and also different banks, sometimes one bank is bad on the mobo.

Memtest is not a reliable tester in some cases. Do a search here on memory testing there is a good thread about how to find memory problems; I couldn't find it on a quick search.

Well .. just want to share .. I had the same issue before .. I did suspect my ram either .. but then it was actually my power supply .. mine before was enermax infinity 720watt .. and now i already replace it with pc p&c silencer and the problem is gone

^yeah but I have a 520w psu, (around 600watts) and im not running anything that should be bogging it down and causing it to random restarts. I just took a ram module out and will leave my comp running and see if it restarts...

ok so i had 1gb stick in slot 1 (of 4) and my comp restarted. then i took it out and was looking at it and it had some AS 5 on the connector!? i was like wtf? could that have been causing the problem. I took some toilet papper and some water and got it off. I put it in slot 2 and am going to see if it restarts...

^update. it restarted. then i switched the ram and it still restarted with the other stick!!!!! i am starting to think it is the PSU but how can it be.??? look at my comps stats, i only have 1 dvd/cd, 1 hard drive, 1 12v pump, 1 mobo, 1 gfx card.

ok your running memtest on one stick right? no errors? if that is so, run a check disk on your hard drive chkdsk c: /r in cmd.... i remember replacing memory on a customers machine, it still rebooted. ran a checkdisk found a whole bunch of corrupt files. then bam it was fixed.

ok your running memtest on one stick right? no errors? if that is so, run a check disk on your hard drive chkdsk c: /r in cmd.... i remember replacing memory on a customers machine, it still rebooted. ran a checkdisk found a whole bunch of corrupt files. then bam it was fixed.
I agree
The PSU is solid , I don't think thats the problem

ok i have tried both 1gb sticks in each of the 4 slots (for both) didn't do memtest, but did Prime 95 blend (lots of ram tested) sometimes the computer would restart while booting up, sometimes it would take longer. I will definetly do a Disk check, but the restarts are frequent, I don't know if I can stay booted up that long.

Still not sure if its the ram, if it is, then both sticks have to be bad.

How can i check the gfx card?

UPDATE: I can't even boot into windows!!! it keeps restarting. ****

Last edited:
his could be a bad one never know untill you start swapping out all your part :)

i would try another psu if havent already, if ur still getting restarts might be motherboard

Ok heres the deal, this never happened before I installed my watercooling. I never got random restarts (not that I noticed). Could this be the issue? this is a new thing ever since my watercooling pump has been connected...

Please.... your doing this wrong. put one stick of ram in at a time. install 1 stick, disconnect the hard drive, boot into a memtest cd. Make sure it it absolutely stable for 1 hour. if no errors take out the current stick and try another. keep going until you test all of them 1 at a time. once your done. connect one stick only Boot into a windows install cd. when givin your first list of options hit option "R" for repair not "enter" once your choose 1 and then wheny our given a command promt line, type in "Chkdsk c: /r" hit yes
once it is done you should be back in your windows.... unless there are more issues...

edit , i just saw the post about the pump, anything can cause a short. try disconnecting and try to revert back to the stage where you did not have any errors.

Ok heres the deal, this never happened before I installed my watercooling. I never got random restarts (not that I noticed). Could this be the issue? this is a new thing ever since my watercooling pump has been connected...

Hmmm, what are your load and idle temperatures? I don't see that you have posted that info. Use CoreTemp

Perhaps your water block isn't making good contact. What water block do you have?

Hmmm, what are your load and idle temperatures? I don't see that you have posted that info. Use CoreTemp

Perhaps your water block isn't making good contact. What water block do you have?

idle temps are like 27-30c, block is seated well its a D-Tek fuzion. shouldn't be an issue.

k after reseting stock clocks i got a random restart!!!
What you are describing really sounds like a faulty PSU. You are correct, a Corsair 520 is top of the line quality and should be way more than enough power than your system needs. Look, I've got two Corsair PSUs, so you're preaching to the choir about Corsair competence. With that said, even Lexus, Toyota, and Mercedes will find themselves in the shop on occasion. You may very well have a PSU that does not live up to the high standard that it should. See if you can test your computer with another power supply.

What you are describing really sounds like a faulty PSU. You are correct, a Corsair 520 is top of the line quality and should be way more than enough power than your system needs. Look, I've got two Corsair PSUs, so you're preaching to the choir about Corsair competence. With that said, even Lexus, Toyota, and Mercedes will find themselves in the shop on occasion. You may very well have a PSU that does not live up to the high standard that it should. See if you can test your computer with another power supply.

Update: lately it has been ok I am able to run it for a while now without it restarting, I don't know what happened.... I changed my plug to another outlet. I will see if it restarts under load/stress. It might just be the PSU. but it could have been the outlet....

could it be a faulty connector? i rearranged some pins to sleeve some cables, could that be an issue?

could it be a faulty connector?
It sure could. It could also be CPU or northbridge overheating, both of which could cause random restarts. (if this was already addressed in previous posts, pardon me)

Back