• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rate My Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You are missing the point though. It doesnt have to be that high. Point is get the best the guy can afford for his budget instead of accidently appearing to rip him off. :)

That's really good to know.... lol I didn't know that.
We've been alluding to that fact the entire time. :thup:

I hate to say it, but when you are ready and about to have money in hand, then come back and bump this thread.

What I stated still holds true. You get the best you can afford. So you need to find out his exact budget and build it up that way. Anything less and sorry to say you are essentially ripping your friend off.

Last thing, you need to get over this 'i dont like intel' thing. You also need a quad core for what he is doing.

lol you don't necessarily need a quad-core for what is he doing. On a Gigabyte GA-7DXR with an ATI Radeon 9000, and an AMD Athlon XP 2500, I was encoding videos in 720p on h.264! :-/Sure, it might take a whole day to render, but it still does it. I could build him that same replica system and he could still do what he wanted to do... and that would really be ripping him off. And Im not even charging him. He asked if I could build him one and I told him sure, you dont have to pay me. It's really generous of me to blow away 1000 dollars on a computer i'm not even getting paid for it.

I never will build with top-of-the-line equipment. To me, it's still new, and there are still problems that can develop, it doesnt matter how much it's been approved by whoever, it's still new, and too problematic. Trust me...

As for the Intel thing, it's how i've always been brought up. When my dad built computers he always used AMD. He's built a computer for people using all of the AMD series processor, from the K6 to the Phenom 6 core! Lol. He just built his 1st Intel System only because the person wanted Intel, aside from his build with a Core 2 Duo. Not even a newer model, one of the first core 2's that were made! He's also never built with top of the line equipment either. His build is an Sapphire Radeon HD 4870x2, with a DK Lan Party Motherboard, Antec 1200 with a Thermaltake Keyspirit 800W. I've learned a lot from him and he's given me great advice.

Seriously its like you live in the past, i really hope that all of this nonsense you've been saying is just do to lack of knowledge of current pc technology and all you need to do is brush up on whats what these days in pc world, but youre talking about ancient parts that i as kid (12-13 yrs old) used to mess around with and learn about computers, build from the parts you listed is waste of money, if youre not willing to go with latest cpus like amd hex core or intels 1155 or 1366 socket cpus, than at least go with phenom II quad like 950 or 965 or intels 1156 i3 or i5 cpus, something thats at least still in use by pc community

NEED, no, but to get the best performance, YES. Why would you force your friend to encode all day when he can do it in a couple hours? He can afford it. Easily.

What I would like you to do benny is show your friend this thread and see what he says about the whole thing and what you are trying to build him. You are just off the mark on your build for his available budget and what he wants to use it for. I feel bad for your friend if you proceed with any of the builds you listed.

Intel/AMD I dont care, but a nice modern socket and quad/hex core CPU is what you should be building. There isnt any question about this.

Good luck.

This is a pretty funny or sad thread. What all above said, except the OP is dead on but the OP still doesn't seem to get it or really want the advice he asked for. I just built a E6700 system with all new parts except the CPU and case for a guy for 475.00 and it would smoke anything the OP was building and not run at 70c.
But it would still suck for video encoding.

For a grand, you could build the guy a real nice system BASED ON HIS NEEDS. That's what system building is all about. Value, bang for buck, or whatever you want to call it.

NEED, no, but to get the best performance, YES. Why would you force your friend to encode all day when he can do it in a couple hours? He can afford it. Easily.

What I would like you to do benny is show your friend this thread and see what he says about the whole thing and what you are trying to build him. You are just off the mark on your build for his available budget and what he wants to use it for. I feel bad for your friend if you proceed with any of the builds you listed.

Intel/AMD I dont care, but a nice modern socket and quad/hex core CPU is what you should be building. There isnt any question about this.

Good luck.

His budget? It's actually my budget. He's not paying me anything or giving me anything for a computer. I told you that. Im not trying to sound like an a$$ but so what if it's 2 or 3 years old? The point is, it was once the best thing out there, and is still widely used today.

This is YOUR budget? Well I guess that changes everything if this is out of your pocket for a friend, though, I dont recall you ever saying that and we referred to his budget a couple times in this thread...(EDIT: You said it in post #17)

Still, Doz posted a nice combo deal up there that smokes what you listed and was pretty cheap.

Still even though it is YOUR budget why are you wasting your time building an ancient system for that much money when you can easily build a computer using mid-high end new parts for about THE SAME PRICE. It will also perform way better than the build you listed.

What I do not get is why are you insisting on building an older computer even though everyone in here is trying so desperately to help sway you in the other direction. We are not sales people we are simply trying to HELP you make the right choice.

If you are not going to listen to anyone's advice here then so be it. That being said if you do plan to build the system you listed please do not spend more than $300-400. If you are spending around $1000 fro that you are really getting ripped off for the performance. Another reason we are guiding you this way is your system will be outdated quickly and any part you upgrade in the system will be bottle necked by that cpu, meaning your video card if you game.

No one needs that much performance. Do I need my hex core amd? Of course not, but for a price of $175 and with the budget I had at the time it would be stupid not to get it.

Good luck.

I built my wife a modestly decent system for around $300 for Christmas last year. Granted, she already had the HDD's, case, and PSU, but it is still worlds better than any of the hardware that the OP has listed. I got one of the absolute best AM3 mobo's out there for about $120, the Athlon II X3 445 (easily unlocked to quad) for about $70, and 4 GB of Kingston HyperX with an 8800GTS (not the best card, but works great for her) for another $100.

Why would you do your friend the injustice of spending the same amount of money for hardware from 7 years ago as you would on current hardware? There are rarely any problems with new hardware, and if there is an issue, RMA's are usually very painless. This thread is actually starting to sound like a good way to lose a friend.:nuts::fight:

Edit: The thread title is "Rate my build". Here's a rating for you: throw it on the Antique Parts Pile, maybe good for a Smoothwall box, maybe FreeNAS, or just a browsing/email rig. Hell, the guy could go to Wal-Mart and get a Dell with more current hardware for the same money you are talking about spending on this system.

Last edited:
Still even though it is YOUR budget why are you wasting your time building an ancient system for that much money when you can easily build a computer using mid-high end new parts for about THE SAME PRICE. It will also perform way better than the build you listed.

What I do not get is why are you insisting on building an older computer even though everyone in here is trying so desperately to help sway you in the other direction. We are not sales people we are simply trying to HELP you make the right choice.

If you are not going to listen to anyone's advice here then so be it. That being said if you do plan to build the system you listed please do not spend more than $300-400. If you are spending around $1000 fro that you are really getting ripped off for the performance. Another reason we are guiding you this way is your system will be outdated quickly and any part you upgrade in the system will be bottle necked by that cpu, meaning your video card if you game.

No one needs that much performance. Do I need my hex core amd? Of course not, but for a price of $175 and with the budget I had at the time it would be stupid not to get it.

Good luck.

Well I appreciate the luck wishing lol. And I like the point you made in your last paragraph. It definitely makes a lot of sense. A lot of people do that and to me, I see it as a waste of money because why would you spend an extra $75-$100 on equipment that you don’t need? Sure it’s always good to have it just in case, but still. My friends not really a hard-core gamer, just on xbox, lol. I know what it’s like to have a really outdated system. Try sittin down on an AMD Athlon XP 2500 with a Gigabyte GA-7DXR and a Radeon 9000 and watching all these new commercials about the new Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and the AMD Vision series processors. I felt like I had an old computer that ran Windows 2 with an Intel i486DX. I don’t want him to have a computer like I did, I would’ve killed someone for that kind of machine listed above. I have to think about this for a while… :bang head

sound slike he's going to buy the computer for his friend, reason why he's going with the low end. Which is nice of him to do for a friend.
In 2 months the prices will drop some more. I def would go with a I5 or I7, they will smoke the celeron. You build him that celeron and in like 6 months he's gona wana upgrade it.

When you got the money in hand and ready to order, come back and we will gladdly help

So... since everyone thinks I seem to be ripping my friend off, i've decided to give him the computer listed in my signature. Im going to take out the celeron and put in a pentium 4. The computers small enough to fit in one of those USPS flat-rate boxes & since it weighs under 70 pounds, I can ship it for a low rate. I'm just going to build myself one. It's too much trouble for a friend.

What you have is still very slow for what he wants to use it for, especially if you down grade the CPU even more. Give him what you got and start from scratch. But hey, its free and better than nothing.

What you have is still very slow for what he wants to use it for, especially if you down grade the CPU even more. Give him what you got and start from scratch. But hey, its free and better than nothing.

I didn't realize replacing the CPU with a pentium 4 would be downgrading the cpu. I thought I would do him a favor by upgrading the cpu, but I guess Ill keep that in there if you honestly think that would be the best decision :eh?: Is it because of the clock speed that I have on the processor? The computer was given to me and it's a fairly old machine and idk if they overclocked it without me knowing. :eek: I didn't mess around with anything because they did take the labor to buy it and format it and put all the hardware in it...

Honestly, if I was you, I would see, from gateway, which is the fastest CPU you can drop in there. It may be a P4 as now that I am looking at your signature, a celeron is usually a step down. I dont know such old equipement anymore. Its best to check with gateway and the CPU compatability for that unit. People here dont deal with store bought desktops a lot. ;)

Funny how benny stick to his celeron and dont like intel thing but his picture is and core intel I7.

:p

Back