• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raystorm Experimental Modification

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
LMAO. *Inserts generic punch line*

This does raise some interesting questions though. It was my understanding that many of the Intel CPU's have the concave IHS while most AMD's are flat or even convex. Since you have lapped your EVO did you do this with the Intel jetplane installed? Would this adversely affect it's cooling ability while installed for an AMD rig?

Very interesting results either way. It's something that I hadn't really considered (jetplane affecting contact surface).

LMAO. *Inserts generic punch line*

This does raise some interesting questions though. It was my understanding that many of the Intel CPU's have the concave IHS while most AMD's are flat or even convex. Since you have lapped your EVO did you do this with the Intel jetplane installed? Would this adversely affect it's cooling ability while installed for an AMD rig?

Very interesting results either way. It's something that I hadn't really considered (jetplane affecting contact surface).

Excellent catch Sir!

I did have the Intel jet plate in the EVO when it was lapped and I will have to leave it in it to be sure it remains flat.

I will swap the lapped EVO back to the lapped 7700K to see what temperature difference flat to flat makes before I ever delid the 7700K for bare die mounting.

Update: On Tests of Raystorm Internally Modified, (Not Lapped) vs Lapped EK Supremacy EVO both run on lapped 7700K heat spreader.
Tests run under exact same 5.2ghz clock settings only change was swapping out the water blocks, tests were 5 complete runs of Intel Burn Test standard 10 run tests at 9.0c coolant temperature.

Raystorm:
Core 0 = 70, 68, 69, 69, 68, avg = 68.8c
Core 1 = 64, 64, 64, 64, 64, avg = 64c
Core 2 = 70, 70, 69, 71, 71, avg = 70.2c
Core 3 = 62, 60, 63, 61, 62, avg = 61.6c
Total core avg = 66.15c

Supremacy EVO:
Core 0 = 67, 68, 67, 68, 68, avg = 67.6c
Core 1 = 62, 64, 64, 64, 63, avg = 63.4c
Core 2 = 71, 68, 69, 69, 69, avg = 69.2c
Core 3 = 60, 60, 60, 59, 60, avg = 59.8c
Total core avg = 65c

The Raystorm does have a convex bow on the base in both directions, the worst of the bowing is perpendicular to the core alignment under the heat spreader, it has a very slight bowing parallel to the core alignment, I'll probably end up lapping it as well but not right now.

Why? Because the EVO is supporting the 5.2ghz overclock stable at a 15c coolant temperature which is a 5c higher coolant temperature than the 8.9c ~ 10c range I run daily.

Lapping the CPU heat spreader and the water block base has made and amazing difference, this is the first I've seen since owning the 7700K that idle temperatures were the same across all the cores.

Those are pretty damn good results from an older design block considering the EVO is one of, if not thee top dogs.

A lot has changed since my last post in this thread!

I finally did go ahead and lap the base of the Raystorm water block and tested its performance against the already lapped Supremacy EVO and now the Raystorms cooling performance is almost identical to the EVO.

The big changes however are the new link in my sig.

Check it out. Ryan

Back