• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ready to Kill this MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
NICE! fishy you have almost the same blocks as mine :)

Can you give me the details of what setting you're runnning at right now?

I wonder what kind of ram can run 200mhz at stock voltage.

Keep us update.

{PMS}fishy said:
I hope so too. I tried to jump up to 16x210 and it failed Prime right away.

Temps look great at 36/37 load. I wish I could give these more voltage.

Seeing how they were pulls, I take it they are pretty well broken in, but Ill see if I can't squeze more out of these.

Try a lower multiplier and 210 fsb?

Well, I came back to the computer after letting it sit over night, and it was off. When I try to power it on, its doing the same thing again. It will power up for about 15sec at this point, and then power off.

Any clue as to why the MB would just shut down like this?

Im going to RMA it, and make ASUS pay return shipping, its not my fault that their MB is junk, and I should not have to pay to send it back to them.

MameXP said:

Keep us update.
I've run the following DDR on the PC-DL with the "VDIMM Grease Mod" that gets it to about 2.6V.

Mushkin PC3200, 2.5-7-3-3
Corsair Select PC3200, 2.5-8-3-3
Kingmax PC3500 (Red DIMMs), 2-7-3-3 or 2.5-7-3-3 over 210 MHz

None of these DIMMs come with heatspreaders. The Mushkin I bought usually sells for about $135 shipped for a pair of 512MB sticks over at Newegg.

DaveB said:
I've run the following DDR on the PC-DL with the "VDIMM Grease Mod" that gets it to about 2.6V.

Mushkin PC3200, 2.5-7-3-3
Corsair Select PC3200, 2.5-8-3-3
Kingmax PC3500 (Red DIMMs), 2-7-3-3 or 2.5-7-3-3 over 210 MHz

None of these DIMMs come with heatspreaders. The Mushkin I bought usually sells for about $135 shipped for a pair of 512MB sticks over at Newegg.

Thanks Dave.

The reason i asked is that i dont want to do vdim mod as i really suck at soldering. I tried soldering 2 capacitors b4 and it took me so much time to get it right. I'm just not good at it.

stock vdim is 2.5v correct? Is there a vdim mod thats not required soldering? for PC-DL ofcourse.

MameXP said:
Thanks Dave.

The reason i asked is that i dont want to do vdim mod as i really suck at soldering. I tried soldering 2 capacitors b4 and it took me so much time to get it right. I'm just not good at it.

stock vdim is 2.5v correct? Is there a vdim mod thats not required soldering? for PC-DL ofcourse.

There is a mod that you can do with a grabber. Its all on this site.

http://www.datamine.tk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20&PN=1

MameXP said:

Keep us update.

I was running 1.59/1.58v CPU1/CPU2 2.6 VDIMM 2-3-2-6 PAT Dual Chan.

Most TCCD should be able to run at 2-2-2-5 @ 2.5v if not than deffiantly 2-3-3-6.

MameXP said:
Thanks Dave.

Actually the PC-DL undervolts, so it's below 2.5V. Adding some conductive grease as shown in the link below brings it a little above spec. Here's a link that shows a photo of my grease mod and solderless (on the motherboard) Pomona SMD Grabber VDIMM mod.

Pomona SMD Grabber VDIMM Mod

MB is going back. Ill start a new thread with results when I get the new one.

Oh, Im so pissed now. I just set up the new MB, and it does the same damn thing.

Someone help me out here, what the hell am I doing wrong?

I have never had so many issues, and I have never been so pissed at a computer.

not gonna re-read the thread but have you tried with no jumpers (on the fsb jumper block)?

tried just one cpu? default voltage? hold insert while booting? try different ram/vid card if possible? try different (even a lesser powered) PSU (with only one cpu of course)?

I really don't know.

I lied - I skimmed back over the first page.

Are you still getting any beep codes upon boot? If so, what are they?

The main thing it seems like a power issue - seemingly random shutdowns and sometimes not powering up at all. Try a different PSU with one CPU in the board and see if that works (if possible).

Its working now. Not sure what the problem was. The other MB must have had something wrong with it, as it would do tons of weird stuff. This one 'seems' ok so far. Im going to prime it tonight. Running 16x200.

well, i hope that works. If there are any other occurrences I would still suspect the PSU. I hate to see you struggling so hard. Some rigs are just a pain (although I must admit I think this one was the easiest of mine - much more so than any AMD's I put together), but when you get it running reliably it will definately be worth it.

Albigger said:
well, i hope that works. If there are any other occurrences I would still suspect the PSU. I hate to see you struggling so hard. Some rigs are just a pain (although I must admit I think this one was the easiest of mine - much more so than any AMD's I put together), but when you get it running reliably it will definately be worth it.

Im not sure how/why it would be the PSU. Its a 600w OCZ. Unless the fact that the 12v is split in half, and the MB is only getting 20a.

Yeah I'm not really sure either, its just that the symptoms seem power related. I would definately think that PSU would be enough though. Is it new or have you used it before? Could it be faulty?

On another note thebyrd (i think) and others say not to run the split-rail psu's (although mine is and only has 18 amps per rail and it is fine). Some people have had problems with them.

Albigger said:
Yeah I'm not really sure either, its just that the symptoms seem power related. I would definately think that PSU would be enough though. Is it new or have you used it before? Could it be faulty?

On another note thebyrd (i think) and others say not to run the split-rail psu's (although mine is and only has 18 amps per rail and it is fine). Some people have had problems with them.

Its new, but I ran it on my AI7 just to make sure. Im running fine right now, so Im still puzzled to what happened to the first MB, and why the second one was tempermental.

Passed prime for 10h, I started to install Gentoo, and bam, it dies. Again with the same problem. Powers up for 1-2 seconds and then off.

What the hell is going on here?

Im really starting to think its the PSU. With no RAM in the system it does the same thing. Powers on for a few seconds, and then cuts out.

Could it be because the OCZ 600w has a split 12v? It offers 20A on 12v1 and 18A on 12v2.

Im really lost, and rather upset with this whole purchase.

Back