• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reapplying cooling for laptop chip.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

INTERPID

Greetings! I am not quite good in technical things related to computers so I have been browsing the web to find some solutions and got into a little confusion (wich lead me to this forum btw..). I will try to explain so that you understand me better.

I have a laptop Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo XA-2528. It broke down 1 week ago (screen went into stripes and total mess). After a little inspection I found out that a metal plate wich was attached to one of the chips has fallen off. So I figured that the chip might have fried and there is no chance for me to fix it. So I sent it to repairs. Today I got it back and it works. BUT the metal plate is still off (no idea why the technicians did not even bother to put it back).. :shrug:

Looks like this:

1256985191_143_FT0_image001.jpg

It looks like some low quality fast stock variant to me, but seems it is enought to cool the chip allthough it was already badly placed on it. But since it is fallen off, I should put it back on. I read that this could be a silicon glue since it is like a sticky gel.

1256985139_143_FT0_image000.jpg

The question is..how do I get this glue off from the chip as gently as possible? And what glue type paste could I use to stick it back on?

I am planning to do the following:

1) Take the gel off with a simple rough rubber (don't know if it is good to mess with alcohol liquid on the chip or scrape it off with a sharp object). Maybe a vodka could do lol..?

2) Buy a AKASA thermal adhersive tape and try to stick it on.

I live in UK and this tape was best I could find in my local stores. And by the looks it wouldn't be too hard to do it.

I'd appreciate any suggestions! Thx!

Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) may be able to clean it up, without damaging the chip; don't use sharp objects.

If it doesn't come off easily, leave it. The leftover glue won't really cause issues, just put on the tape like normal.

Right, I will try to get the rubbing alcohol through eBay and see what I can do. Thanks!

Back