• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

reccomend me a mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

ok so, i got a job, got a raise in that job and i just sold one of my cars so i am going to upgrade while i still have the chance, oh and payday is tommorow.

i want a new mobo, i'll keep it simple

lots o OC options but stable
2x or more 16x PCI express
DDR3 (faster the better)
AMD chipset (for crossfire[ati cards])
NO ASUS CRAP (no asus ever)
not a bank breaker

i'll be using most of the green part of my sig, minus mobo and ram of course, if you wanna reccomend some good ocing DDR3 that would be cool too.

i'm not too brand specific except for no asus, gigabyte doesent thrill me either, even some lesser well known brands though have awsome OC potental, like the biostars i've been buyin

no real set price limit but theres a point where its too much and i cant imagine using more than 2 5770's in the near future but possibly a option further down the road

ok so, i got a job, got a raise in that job and i just sold one of my cars so i am going to upgrade while i still have the chance, oh and payday is tommorow.

i want a new mobo, i'll keep it simple

lots o OC options but stable
2x or more 16x PCI express
DDR3 (faster the better)
AMD chipset (for crossfire[ati cards])
NO ASUS CRAP (no asus ever)
not a bank breaker

i'll be using most of the green part of my sig, minus mobo and ram of course, if you wanna reccomend some good ocing DDR3 that would be cool too.

i'm not too brand specific except for no asus, gigabyte doesent thrill me either, even some lesser well known brands though have awsome OC potental, like the biostars i've been buyin

no real set price limit but theres a point where its too much and i cant imagine using more than 2 5770's in the near future but possibly a option further down the road

TA890FXE

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138193R&Tpk=ta890fxe

Great board for low cash, that link is to an open box, $110.

hmm i had been looking a few weeks ago and there wasnt a biostar board available with a cooler on the power managment...hmm
and holy ****, 2 16x slots and 2 16 @ 8x slots

thats high up there in rank

lets see what else there is too just in case, i dont think prices are going to change much over the weekend

hmm i had been looking a few weeks ago and there wasnt a biostar board available with a cooler on the power managment...hmm
and holy ****, 2 16x slots and 2 16 @ 8x slots

thats high up there in rank

lets see what else there is too just in case, i dont think prices are going to change much over the weekend

FYI, it's a great board overclocks like crazy, but it only does dual card crossfire, not triple, not quad. A lot of 890fx boards appear as though they will, but very few will do triple or quad Xfire.

well so basicly then the orange slots are flexable in a sence and will be able to run a 1x-8x expansion card like a hella hard core raid card or a simple pci express sound card....

makes me wonder why they went to that bother to put 4 full 16x slots and not be able to run tri or quad.
i am guessing you could probably run a nvidia card in one though and get some physX out of it if your so hard core about such things

+2

only downside would be no USB 3.0 support, if that's important to you.

SATA 3 is more important, i wont have any thing USB 3.0 for a long time i am sure, its not like my mouse needs 3.0.....yet

If you want other options you can look at MSI they have been doing better lately

well so basicly then the orange slots are flexable in a sence and will be able to run a 1x-8x expansion card like a hella hard core raid card or a simple pci express sound card....

makes me wonder why they went to that bother to put 4 full 16x slots and not be able to run tri or quad.
i am guessing you could probably run a nvidia card in one though and get some physX out of it if your so hard core about such things

It's complicated, but I'll try to explain it. You can run a video card orange slots, but it will not X-fire properly with the cards in the white slots. Physically they are all 16x slots...but electronically the orange ones are missing the contacts to properly run at 16x speeds.

I know cause I just tried this...has 4 5770s, ran one...good, added another...scores damn near doubled, added a third....scored crashed below what a single card would do. I fought with that thing all night, finally figured it out. The only boards in the 890fx lineup that do 4x crossfire are the top Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte. $200 plus. Even the Gigabyte in my sig, while awesome, will only do 3x crossfire.

Given no ASUS and no Gigabyte you're pretty much down to the Biostar TA890FXE that you and xokeman are talking about. The MSI's are OK but I'd buy the Biostar first.

The 790FX and 890FX will both run true 2x 16-bit. Extra cards past 2x 16-bit force the chipset to downgrade an x16 slot to an x8 slot so three cards should run x16/x8/x8 and four cards (if the board can handle that many) will run x8/x8/x8/x8. In other words you've got 32 lanes to use for video traffic and, IIRC, there are 42 PCIe lanes overall (which includes some for overhead) ...

Given no ASUS and no Gigabyte you're pretty much down to the Biostar TA890FXE that you and xokeman are talking about. The MSI's are OK but I'd buy the Biostar first.

The 790FX and 890FX will both run true 2x 16-bit. Extra cards past 2x 16-bit force the chipset to downgrade an x16 slot to an x8 slot so three cards should run x16/x8/x8 and four cards (if the board can handle that many) will run x8/x8/x8/x8. In other words you've got 32 lanes to use for video traffic and, IIRC, there are 42 PCIe lanes overall (which includes some for overhead) ...

I love the TA890FXE, it's what I'm typing on right now (it overclocks great), that said if your looking for uber performance there are better choices. My "daily driver" is the Biostar, but when I want to do benchwork...extreme overclocking, I would look towards the Jiggybyte and the Asus. :thup:

I love the TA890FXE, it's what I'm typing on right now (it overclocks great), that said if your looking for uber performance there are better choices. My "daily driver" is the Biostar, but when I want to do benchwork...extreme overclocking, I would look towards the Jiggybyte and the Asus. :thup:
I agree. The ASUS M4A89's and Gigabyte GA-890's are excellent boards, both using the 890FX chipset. A lot of ASUS low-end, and even the mid-range recently, have been problematic at best but their high-end stuff is still as good as ever (though there was that little NB problem with the Crosshair's :-/). Gigabyte is the same - their high-end boards have had no major issues that I'm aware of for the past three years at least.

But, hey, I just go by the rules set up by the OP. If he doesn't want ASUS or Gigabyte I'm not going to argue the point ... :shrug:

i've not had any good products from asus and gigabytes customer support is crap

i remember when dual bios was still a big thing for gigabyte, i had a bios chip go bad some how, not sure how, but since the bios was gone on one chip it wasnt able to load up the next chip so it was pretty useless and they wanted alot of money to fix it even after it was under warranty

Back