• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend me a cooling kit!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vexillarius

Registered
Hello everybody,

I'm in the process of overclocking my FX-8150 it has become quite clear that I'm going to need a better cooling kit. Right now I have the Corsair H60.
I've got my eye on the Swiftech H220 and the Corsair H100i/H110. I've also looked at the Cooler Master Nepton 280L but I think my case won't fit 140mm fans.

My specs:
HAF X case
GA-990FXA-UD7 rev 1.1
FX-8150
2x Geforce GTX660
2x 4GB Corsair ValueSelect 1333Mhz RAM
2TB Seagate HDD
Corsair GS800 PSU

Which cooler would you recommend? Any recommendations are welcome, as long as it's a closed loop complete kit, I'm not going to build a custom cooler.

The Nepton if she fits... otherwise the Swiftech, or the NZXT Kraken that will fit (using a 1x120mm rad).

Right now I'm not even going to start thinking about custom cooling tbh. I'm just learning to overclock, one thing at a time ;)
Anyway, I just ordered the Swiftech H220, mainly so I won't have to wait the entire weekend. If I change my mind I can simply return it.
My case doesn't support 140mm fans. Also, I'm in the Netherlands, which somewhat reduces my options.
I'll still take recommendations!

Right now I'm not even going to start thinking about custom cooling tbh. I'm just learning to overclock, one thing at a time ;)
Anyway, I just ordered the Swiftech H220, mainly so I won't have to wait the entire weekend. If I change my mind I can simply return it.
My case doesn't support 140mm fans. Also, I'm in the Netherlands, which somewhat reduces my options.
I'll still take recommendations!

Best decision ever! You can later expand it with extra rads if needed! :thup:

The H220 is a good call for you, as it can be expanded later if you feel the need :)
(More radiators, GPU block, additional pump, etc)

It's the closest to a custom loop's performance without actually going custom.

The H220x is now supposed to be available around July 10th. One of the reps from Swiftech posted the release date on another forum.

http://www.swiftech.com/H320.aspx

You also might look at replacing the stock fans of whatever liquid cooler you decide on with 38mm thick high static pressure fans and installing a fan controller to quiet them down when doing light computing tasks.

http://koolance.com/fan-120x38mm-184cfm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220056

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=sunbeam_rheobus-_-11-995-016R-_-Product

I recently purchased the Coolermaster Nepton 280L and replaced one of the stock fans with the Silverstone referenced above. Significant difference! I've ordered another Silverstone 140x38mm to replace the other fan. The Silverstone FHP-141 gets my vote for the best ever fan award. High static pressure but low impedance so that with a fan controller you can turn it down to very low, quiet RPM levels and it won't stall. It will also mount on 120mm fan hole pattern areas.

Last edited:
A lot of these high performance cooling kits are unavailable where I live, the H220 is the highest performer I could find short of custom cooling and kits more than €400-€500. I'm already spending more than I really wanted to.

A lot of these high performance cooling kits are unavailable where I live, the H220 is the highest performer I could find short of custom cooling and kits more than €400-€500. I'm already spending more than I really wanted to.

In that case, it would be helpful if you would give us some vendor names that are available to you and a budget as well.

Also, you have a star under your user name/avatar now so you have access to the "Sig" tool. Please create a sig with some details of your system specs. That way the info will travel with every post you make.

I really think he bought the best available to him already in the h20 220... One of the better performers and fully expandable too!

Last edited:
Nothing NEEDS to be changed on the H220. The Helix120s are included with that kit. Great quiet rad fans all around. Tubing can be changed if you want a different color. I recommend PrimoChill Advanced LRT.

Not to pick at you Trents but I have to say enough with the 3k+ Fans. Majority who go into watercooling will not buy them or wants them. It feels to me some people are stuck back 10-15 years ago watercooling. No point going with screamers. Might as well stay air if folks need to be pushing that kind of noise. I've been seeing some folks lately continuously recommend these kind of fans to newcomers for some reason and boggles my mind. I get the whole affordable aspect of it but there are many affordable fans on the market that don't need to be 3k-5k.

Your cooling system should meet the demands youre going to place on the chip. How much are you planning on overclocking?

I can run at 4.7ghz stable, on air cooling on my 8320. Not trying to discourage you from going watercooling, just seems silly to spend money where you don't need to is all :shrug: The h220 is pretty highly regarded, but is worth double the cost of the high end air cooling solutions for what you're going to be using it on?

Not to pick at you Trents but I have to say enough with the 3k+ Fans. Majority who go into watercooling will not buy them or wants them. It feels to me some people are stuck back 10-15 years ago watercooling. No point going with screamers. Might as well stay air if folks need to be pushing that kind of noise. I've been seeing some folks lately continuously recommend these kind of fans to newcomers for some reason and boggles my mind. I get the whole affordable aspect of it but there are many affordable fans on the market that don't need to be 3k-5k.

Guess this comment holds a lot of merit. My system is pretty loud.

I'm looking for 4,4 - 4,5Ghz, more if possible. Right now that puts my socket temp close to 90 degrees Celsius, which is way too hot. Actual CPU temp is much lower, but still too hot at 65 degrees max.
I'd also like to buy a cooler that will last a while and gives me some headroom when/if I decide to upgrade my board or CPU.
€150 is already a little more than I would like to spend, the only reason I'm considering the H220 for that price anyway is the fact that it's apparently really good, rugged and expandable.
My preferred vendor: http://www.alternate.nl/html/index.html

Back