• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendations for FX-8120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you haven't bought anything yet, do yourself a favour, read some BD reviews. Don't let the "8" cores fool you. If you don't need 8 cores today to do what you need to do, you won't need 8 cores for a while. Not a lot of software out there that will utilize 4 cores nevermind 8. Lots of 2500K + MB combo around for a good price. Do some research first and then decide.

Noticed you've been asking a lot of questions on this forum. That is good. Make sure to save some $$ for one of the most critical component, the PSU.

If you haven't bought anything yet, do yourself a favour, read some BD reviews. Don't let the "8" cores fool you. If you don't need 8 cores today to do what you need to do, you won't need 8 cores for a while. Not a lot of software out there that will utilize 4 cores nevermind 8. Lots of 2500K + MB combo around for a good price. Do some research first and then decide.

Noticed you've been asking a lot of questions on this forum. That is good. Make sure to save some $$ for one of the most critical component, the PSU.

He's decided on a Seasonic so I think he's pretty safe with that :thup:

I can see by your current signature though that you may have trouble waiting that long as your current system is a little long in the tooth..... As of right now, I'd be choosing between an AMD FX-8120 and an Intel i5 2500K and overlocking them a bit.

Yeah, I'd like a new system. Maybe I should get some older AMD 4 core CPU instead? Anything would be faster than what I have, and anything reasonable would let me game I THINK w/current games.

I just read that OC review someone suggested above. How disappointing about the Bulldozer 8150. Now I don't know. Maybe I'll splurge on the Core i7 or go Core i5.

From that review, this seemed the most important difference between Bulldozer and Core i5/i7

"The second most important comparison in this chart for overclockers and gamers is the fact that AMD has a full 32 lanes of PCIe graphics capability."

^^^^ Probably not a bad idea. If you picked up a Phenom II x4 955BE or 965BE cheaply, you could overclock those a bit and drop in a nice shiny new Piledriver once they're released. In reality even BF3 only uses 3 cores when gaming, you do notice your Windows experience is faster when running 6 core's though its not the difference you get when going from 2 to 4 cores.

As always, it thats what you intend to do, when you do buy the new chip, make sure you update your mainboards firmeware to the latest before you pul out your old chip. You're actually likely to be happier with this solution over time and it will also sate your upgrade bug better though upgrading twice ;)

Thank you, I've been reading a lot and asking a lot. I'm sorry haha. It's been a while since I built a new rig. I think you are right on some level. It may be better (at least cheaper) to get "older" tech for NOW, so I can game. I only need a new rig for gaming hahah. I can always get higher end later perhaps.

It seems the Core i5 2500k would be good enough for gaming. Im a loyal AMD user..crap!

^^^^ Probably not a bad idea. If you picked up a Phenom II x4 955BE or 965BE cheaply, you could overclock those a bit and drop in a nice shiny new Piledriver once they're released. In reality even BF3 only uses 3 cores when gaming, you do notice your Windows experience is faster when running 6 core's though its not the difference you get when going from 2 to 4 cores.

As always, it thats what you intend to do, when you do buy the new chip, make sure you update your mainboards firmeware to the latest before you pul out your old chip.

Ya think I wouldn't need a new board for Piledriver? I heard from somewhere on the forum here that BF3 uses all 8 cores? Or is it really using only 4 at once, and rotating between each set of 4?

Nah, BF3 doesn't use all 8 threads. Not even close. Having said that, I'm running BF3 fully maxed out anyway so you don't need to use all 8. You should feel the heat coming out the back of the computer while gaming though ;)

Lol, careful. Some of the guys in the Intel may be a little less objective so try and avoid Intel vs AMD type questions..... Many of us here are starting to lean towards Intel at present.... Tends to happen when they've had a better product ever since the Core2Duo's..... Thankfully while better, they're not THAT much better. Just keep an eye out for personal brand bias. Having said that, there's a lot of knowledgeable ppl on there, this is OCF after all :thup:

Still, it's the best place to be to find out about Intel mainboards etc. That's an area where my knowledge is a bit lacking. I've only really started to show interest with news of Ivy Bridge.... Depending on whether they can get the heat under control I may end up making the change.

On the other hand, considering the minor price difference, the 2500K would be my recommendation.

Alright so we have been chatting VIA PM for a while now and its looking like he may be going ATX + WC on this build. He wanted suggetsions for a low mod mid tower + WC build out.

This is what I came up with

415completewcamd680.jpg

FX 8120 + GTX 680 LC. The RheoSmart takes the CPU PWM signal and controls up to 6 channels of non PWM devices. The 690-II will take 2x dual 120MM radiators with no modification what so ever. These fans are slightly stronger than needed but thats what the fan controler is for. The Res+Top combo unit will ensure your pump has someplace out of the way to go, plus bleeding these is a snap. With the 690s removable top filling is also a breeze. That leaves you with one 5.25 bay to use for your blue ray/dvd drive.

Lol, careful. Some of the guys in the Intel may be a little less objective so try and avoid Intel vs AMD type questions..... Many of us here are starting to lean towards Intel at present.... Tends to happen when they've had a better product ever since the Core2Duo's..... Thankfully while better, they're not THAT much better. Just keep an eye out for personal brand bias. Having said that, there's a lot of knowledgeable ppl on there, this is OCF after all :thup:

Still, it's the best place to be to find out about Intel mainboards etc. That's an area where my knowledge is a bit lacking. I've only really started to show interest with news of Ivy Bridge.... Depending on whether they can get the heat under control I may end up making the change.

On the other hand, considering the minor price difference, the 2500K would be my recommendation.

Yeah I know the Intel people can be nasty. I never start up "this is better than that" type stuff..I only seek info. I will say a lot of intel owners I know personally, seem to think it's the end all be all. I don't know any AMD people like that..just my experience.

Alright so we have been chatting VIA PM for a while now and its looking like he may be going ATX + WC on this build. He wanted suggetsions for a low mod mid tower + WC build out.

This is what I came up with

415completewcamd680.jpg

FX 8120 + GTX 680 LC. The RheoSmart takes the CPU PWM signal and controls up to 6 channels of non PWM devices. The 690-II will take 2x dual 120MM radiators with no modification what so ever. These fans are slightly stronger than needed but thats what the fan controler is for. The Res+Top combo unit will ensure your pump has someplace out of the way to go, plus bleeding these is a snap. With the 690s removable top filling is also a breeze. That leaves you with one 5.25 bay to use for your blue ray/dvd drive.

This looks interesting! Thanks Wizard! If I could only settle on what CPU I should get now. Crap. Which website was this from?

Yeah I know the Intel people can be nasty. I never start up "this is better than that" type stuff..I only seek info. I will say a lot of intel owners I know personally, seem to think it's the end all be all. I don't know any AMD people like that..just my experience.

Lol, while AMD were ahead in the Athlon 64 days there were. Mind you, most still remained firmly in the Intel camp.

mjw21a, you got some links to the IB heat issues you can post? I'm about to go IB to try out the new platform, especially since I think I have a 2600k in a cruncher that is crapping out (think the IMC is bad).

Viper, when you get that MCP350 pump, if it has a blue impeller you can mod the pcb on it to run like the MCP355 (18 watt instead of 10 watt and higher pressures and flow rates). All you have to do is jump 2 solder pads next to each other on the pcb with solder and instant MCP355. ;) If you look at this page, it shows you the pads to connect if your pcb looks like that one and the pump has the blue impeller.

And I am using the BayRes1 that you have chosen to use with your pump and like it a lot. The only pain is filling it, since you have to have top access to the fill hole, but I just loosen it and move it forward out of the bay to do that.

mjw21a, you got some links to the IB heat issues you can post? I'm about to go IB to try out the new platform, especially since I think I have a 2600k in a cruncher that is crapping out (think the IMC is bad).

Viper, when you get that MCP350 pump, if it has a blue impeller you can mod the pcb on it to run like the MCP355 (18 watt instead of 10 watt and higher pressures and flow rates). All you have to do is jump 2 solder pads next to each other on the pcb with solder and instant MCP355. ;) If you look at this page, it shows you the pads to connect if your pcb looks like that one and the pump has the blue impeller.

And I am using the BayRes1 that you have chosen to use with your pump and like it a lot. The only pain is filling it, since you have to have top access to the fill hole, but I just loosen it and move it forward out of the bay to do that.

I believe I read it over at TweakTown, got a link from another post over in the Intel section of the forum.... I'll see if I can find it

EDIT: Ok, I've linked straight to the conclusion page here

It will be interesting to see if this issue is just with the pre production models or whether it'll be an ongoing issue.

I put up a post in the intel section for mobo suggestion for an i5 2500k, wish they would answer..... I bet if I had posted that chip sucks compared to AMD..I'd have heard something by now hahaha

I'm still debating if I'm going w/ WC ATX, OR a mATX regardless of the CPU I get.

I put up a post in the intel section for mobo suggestion for an i5 2500k, wish they would answer..... I bet if I had posted that chip sucks compared to AMD..I'd have heard something by now hahaha

I'm still debating if I'm going w/ WC ATX, OR a mATX regardless of the CPU I get.

Gota love Intel fanboys. Whats your price range for your mobo?

Back