• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Redoing my Cooling Configuration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gorakand

So I'm going to take apart my computer and rebuild the cooling as well as remove the graphics cards and replace them with a GTX 690 (possibly two for giggles). As part of the reconfiguration of the cooling, I read an article posted by Gabe from Swiftech where they did testing to show that a single loop is actually better than a dual loop configuration.

This got me thinking, and the first question was if the D5 pump that I have would be able to power the entire thing with all components (listed below).

On top of this, I would like to move from barbs to compression fittings to get a cleaner look in the case. I use all 1/2" ID tubing but would be willing to change out my tubing with new fittings. Does anyone have a recommendation on the compression fittings? Are Bitspower the best?

I'll also be moving the triple radiator from the "front left" of the case to the "rear right" to keep both the radiators on the "cold" side of the case.

If I moved to a single loop, then I'd most likely pair this XSPC Dual Bay Res. with one of my D5's as opposed to the two D5's and the two Res.

Here's the current config:

Computer Specs:
Case: Danger Den Double Wide
Mobo: Asus Rampage III Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7 980x
RAM: 12GB Dominator GT 1866
PSU: Corsair AX 1200 Watt
GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 580 (SLI)

Loop One (CPU):
Laing D5 Pump
Triple Radiator
Swiftech Waterblock
small cylinder reservoir

Loop Two (GPUS):
Laing D5 Pump
Quad Radiator
Danger Den Waterblocks :(
Small cylinder reservoir

Some pictures for reference from when I was doing a leak test:
Build_1.jpg

Build_2.jpg

Build_3.jpg

Anyhow, I'd appreciate any feedback or ideas.

Last edited:
For compression fittings, I have tried several brands, still like bitspower best. Between chrome and black of any brand, chrome is more scratch resistant, though black looks sharp but easily scratched, I went back to chrome though have and like both.

For tubing either 1/2 ID 3/4 OD, or 3/8 ID 5/8 OD, but once you decide, very expensive to change as compression fittings are expensive, so be sure.

A single D5 would do fine with 2 rads, res, cpu and single 690 (dual gpu). But since you have 2 D5's already, just run both pumps in series, you will have redundancy and better flow especially if doing 2 690's ie quad gpus. And if doing quad gpus, Gabe's data no longer is apples to apples...when running prime ( 4 gpus all in idle, ? 120W total from idle gpus), cpu temps would probably be similar with 1 or 2 loops.

So if I did do the quad (2x 690s) then they would create enough heat on a single loop with two radiators to raise the heat of my CPU?

Right now, on it's own loop, my 980x runs at 18-20C idle and does not raise too much during gaming. I haven't overclocked in awhile so I don't have temps under full load.

Here's what I was looking at to replace the reservoirs (with a single loop):
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=59_318_665&products_id=35891

It allows for a single Reservoir as well as both pumps mounted to it. It is a single chamber though so it could not be used with dual loops.

XSPC does have a twin pump split reservoir available but it's for the DDC pumps.

I guess the question now is would a single loop with 2x 690s adversely effect the overclocking ability of my 980x, or would the increase in temperature from the graphics cards be negligible?

Two 690s is a LOT of heat. They wayyy outclass the CPU for heat generation. If you play games, the GPUs will add heat to a single loop, but the CPU isn't working very hard so no biggie. IF you crunch with GPU/CPU your CPU will be at a much higher workload and yes your CPU temps will be higher. Your raddage isn't bad for two hot GPUs (OMG 690's) and a CPU.

If your not pushing the CPU your fine with a single loop IMHO. But with two 690s you should go for a medium overclock.

Depends on your usage.

Actually, you should put the D5 pumps in series and get a regular res, you have two already. You have case space. Those glued Acrylic resses have always worried me and they seem to be a great place for leaks across years of watercooling and foruming.

So I'm thinking, based off the two replies so far is that I'll keep the components on separate loops. I still plan on moving over to compression fittings and bringing in all new tubing and replacing the reservoirs though. Might just get a dual-bay res that has two compartments. Guess it depends on where I want to mount my SSDs as they are currently mounted in the "front bay" area of the case.

I appreciate the feedback so far though, I do enjoy tinkering with overclocking, even though I'm pretty much a novice at it, so I'll put the 690's on the quad-rad and the CPU on the triple.

i would setup the loop as ONE loop. the triple rad will be overkill on just the cpu, especially without an overclock; and if you plan to run sli 690s, the triple will help there. i would also opt for the DUAL d5 reservoir you linked; thought two d5's are overkill, it will assure that if one d5 fails your system sill has running fluid... hopefully. i went with barb fittings and no clamp, looks great; though i do worry about leaking from time to time. I think the monsoon fittings are the latest and fanciest; what requirements did you have for the barbed fittings?

If I was going to move to the Bitspower fittings then I could be flexible and change out my tubing. Right now I'm using 1/2ID tubing for everything.

I could always get a 240 RAD and toss the CPU on that individually, then use the 480 and 360 for the dual 690s. I have the room for it, especially if I use a drive-bay reservoir.

i think for simplicity i'd make ONE loop. if you want to add more radiator, great; if not, i think you'll be alright. it depends on the tdelta you're looking for. as for the tubing, pay attention to 1/2" id x 5/8" od -VS- 1/2" id x 3/4" od; this will be important when ordering the fittings.

i thought i read somewhere, that with modern water cooling gear, it's wiser to use all the radiators in the same loop. what is your fear with just one loop?

Don't really have a fear. The reason I originally made two loops is because I thought it was cool.

My only concern comes from an above post where it was mentioned that two 690s could create enough heat to kill the ability to OC the 980x.

You should be fine with what you have. I would slap another 120.2 or 120.3 to be safe on a high OC on CPU if you're aiming for that and a OC on the GPUs. My rule is 120.2 per chip, wether its CPU or GPU. So in my calculations you have 5 chips ( cpu x1, GPU x4) which in total you should have 120.10 and if you're going for a full makeover make sure you have some good fans. What FPI are your rads and what fans are you using @ what RPM?

Last edited:
So I've ordered some new cooling components and decided to stick with my GTX 580s, considering they run Far Cry 3 on "Ultra" I think I'll be fine using those for now.

I moved from 1/2" ID down to 3/8" ID tubing. I'm done with the two cylinder reservoirs that I had been using before and I moved to a dual-bay, dual-pump reservoir from XSPC. This will save me space.

I've also moved from barbs to compression fittings. Bought all new fans, but I'm keeping my Yate Loons handy if I see a major performance decrease. Shouldn't though.

I've also decided to sleeve anything that is not sleeved in my case. No more white molex connectors either, all of those will be replaced with black. Should be done with everything mid next week depending on shipping. I'll snap some pictures and post them as I'm working on it.

Back