• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reliable power supply for less than 30$

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thatbonokid

Hi, could a few of you link me a couple power supplies that will run an average computer that are fairly cheap(30$ and below) I only need a 500-600 wat PSU but I would like it to have PCI e adapters. nothing else.

I picked up a 600 watt CoolerMaster 1600 @ Canadacomputers for $60 after MIR....
I've learned that it's a "meh" PSU at most.....

Thus I'd be hard pressed to find a good one for $30 or less.
Oklahoma Wolf can give more details and insights, he is the resident PSU guru :)

which one would you chose from that list?

If I *had* no other choice, the hec HP585DB 585W ATX12V Power Supply
JUST based on reviews.

If this PSU is going into a build you care about, please consider something of higher quality.

PSU's are the one place you should not skimp out on.

The HEC has the best chance of not destorying everything plugged into it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339012
Please note that this is NOT a recommendation for that PSU.
Everything else on that list is guaranteed crap. The HEC is a bloody ancient design (read: Pentium3 era) and is most likely crap as well.

$30 for 600w non-dangerous is not going to happen.
The average computer, however, needs maybe 300w. That's a bit more doable.

What about one with 1x6 pin and 1x6+2 pin? Is that possible at all? may run a 4850x2 and an e8500, this phenom seems nice though. may trade the phenom 9600 x4 and the motherboard for a GTX 560. so then ill just use the e8500 and a 560. Sounds like counterstrike to me..

What about one with 1x6 pin and 1x6+2 pin? Is that possible at all? may run a 4850x2 and an e8500, this phenom seems nice though. may trade the phenom 9600 x4 and the motherboard for a GTX 560. so then ill just use the e8500 and a 560. Sounds like counterstrike to me..

How about this, how important is that rig to you?

If you would get upset over it frying up, a cheap PSU is not the choice for it.

Hi, could a few of you link me a couple power supplies that will run an average computer that are fairly cheap(30$ and below) I only need a 500-600 wat PSU but I would like it to have PCI e adapters. nothing else.

what are the full specs of your computer? any power supplies you find that say they are "600 watts" for around 30 dollars are going to destroy your computer or most of it if not all because they are made with cheap parts.

a cheap power supply can be compared to a car using spare tires instead of regular tires. it will work if you drive carefully to the garage, but drive fast and make hard turns and those tires are going to blow!

so again i ask, what are the specs of your computer? list every part!

No.
You will not find a $30 PSU with those connectors that is capable of powering that setup for $30 or less without a sale/MIR/etc.

As a note, a GTX560 is a video card, not a motherboard.

Right now I have a core2duo e5300 1x4pin on an asus p5n-d. sata hdd

im also running an amd 9600 on an MSI am2 motherboard and a 9600 GSO with 250 gig laptop drive. I have the one computer in a mobo box and the other under it in a case and i just switch the power supply,(250 watt dell with 1 inch 24 pin :( )

Im getting offers for a gtx 480, a 560, a 4850 x2 and possibly a few other cards.

I need a psu with one 8 pin and 1 6 pin pref. Im hopefully gonna get a core2quad for this asus board, or sell it all and just get a 6300 and free mobo like usual..

I said i might trade the phenom x4 and the motherboard for the gtx 560. fine ill spend 35 on psu. what should i ge though. probably gonna run an old schoolish card..

Right now I have a core2duo e5300 1x4pin on an asus p5n-d. sata hdd

im also running an amd 9600 on an MSI am2 motherboard and a 9600 GSO with 250 gig laptop drive. I have the one computer in a mobo box and the other under it in a case and i just switch the power supply,(250 watt dell with 1 inch 24 pin :( )

Im getting offers for a gtx 480, a 560, a 4850 x2 and possibly a few other cards.

I need a psu with one 8 pin and 1 6 pin pref. Im hopefully gonna get a core2quad for this asus board, or sell it all and just get a 6300 and free mobo like usual..

A *bit* better but still cheap: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438016

I'm not recommending that one, but it's slightly better than the other sub $30 PSUs. I still think you need consider more the $35 for a PSU!

EDIT: Haha! Beat to the punch by Mr.Scott! :p

the 4850x2 is going to need a 650 watt power supply or higher.

and juding by the specs you gave out, they were not detailed enough and were all over the place.

look at my signature on the bottom of my post. those are my two systems. thats how i want you to write your specs.

I now have an offer for a GTX 480 for 40$ and a 9600 GSO and GT 610. is that a deal? how is the 480 still

the 480 is still a good GPu, DX11 capable. Roughly equals a GTX570.

But the PSU, man... Don't crap on this one!

Put a little bit more money in it and grab a decent 500W unit.

Back