• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reliable power supply for less than 30$

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
They might make other good quality stuff, but (most in not all) PSU companies outsource the manufacturing to other companies. The real question is: Who actually makes the PSU?
*hint* EVGA doesn't make it ;)

E355174 says EVGA had their hands in it. I expect they use Etasis internals just like most of their others. Not that bad a unit. ;)

I'm not sure Etasis knows how to make a cheap Teapo filled PSU. My bet is HEC or FSP.
It looks very similar to the Thermatake Smart series low end units. Not identical, but it has a very similar flavor to it.
The price is better though.

EDIT:
There was as good or better with a $20 MIR, making it cost less.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

Not that the CX series is exactly fantastic, but it's at least known to be decent.

It's an HEC. Looks like the same basic layout as the EVGA 500w Bronze unit, but with a few more corners cut.
Should be OK.

im just gotta get a core2quad, for all this extra stuff and an average graphics card and i should be good.

how about some newer parts? i mean this isnt 2009 anymore...its 2014. youll be better off if you spent your money on better parts like a 4670k, a z87 motherboard, and ddr3-1600 memory.

Get a used (discarded) server and there's a very high chance there will be a top quality PSU inside it. Check for bad caps and fans, test it with a jumper between green and black (or just power up the whole server if it still runs), and use it.

If you get a 4U or larger that accepts a standard ATX motherboard, the case and cooling setup can also be reused.

i only had 40 to spend on a PSU. What could have been better than the EVGA with a 8 pin and 6 pin..
This would have been nice to know a bit earlier, but $40 isn't all that much still....
Truth! That said, $$$ doesnt necessarily = quality. Theres a line of cost effectiveness somewhere around here...
Yeppers higher $ doesn't always translate to better quality. Usually it does though :)
I got the EVGA power supply. is there something wrong with that one now too?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438016

Welp, hopefully it works for you. I have an EVGA 500B and it's solid (so far) for what I paid for it. ($50 Canadian)....

Back