• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remote Desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
When I put in the name of my computer I want to connect to my remote desktop it says, in browse for computers / available computers / workgroup then when i click the plus sign it says "The WORKGROUP domain/workgroup does not contain an terminal servers... so im guessing I need a terminal server to get done what i want... how do it setup up a terminal server ?

It is the same thing but ***free*** and works on macs, Windows, and linux/unix.

Try a Google.com search for VNC.

David

thanks :) this is cool :) but is there a way to log onto different user screens ? like with out having to goto the log on/off screnn ?

i didnt see anything in there program for a port so i guess its the defalt port... what would it be ?

oh I got remote desktop working :) I also think its better than VNC :) its also a lot faster and i can use all the functions of my mouse/keyboard on it and I can do something that I wanted :) I can switch users :) its pretty cool

How did you get Remote Desktop to work. I set it up on both of my machine's. But it wont let me connect from either one. It keep's asking for a password. And then telling me I don't have permission to connect.

Did you have this same problem at all? And if so. How did you fix it?

I'm using VNC now but it's SO SLOW.

Ok I'll see if i can help you out :) First of all goto "My Computer / Remote you will see a section on the top intitled "Remote Assistance" and another below it intitled "Remote Desktop" Make sure the one (s) you want to use are checked section it will have the user that you use most with already granted access from a remote machine. if you'd like to add more click "Add" and enter the user name...once that is done goto "Start / All Programs / Accessories / Communications / Remote Desktop" once thats clicked a box will come up... Type the name of the computer you want to connect to... there is also an options button, click which you will need to click. You will see a bunch of tabs on the top... "General, Display, Local Resources, Programs & Experience" in the general tab you'll ahve to put the computer name you wish to connect to in "Comptuer" which should already be there, below that will be the user name you want to long onto remotely below that you need to put the user name's password, and below that you'll have to put the domain that the computer is on. you also have the option to save you password if you choose. Now onto the Display tab..."Remote Desktop Size" choose the resolution you would like to use..."I use Full Screen" below that there is a colors selection... in mine i've got 16,24 & 32-bit" I use 32. below that there is a box intitled " Display the connection bar when in full screen mode" Baise it shows a bar on the top of your screen when connected to the remote computer there is an option on the bar that you can click which allows it the always be there or go away when you start to do something else. "I've got it checked, but I also have it set to go away when I'm using the remote desktop"... next tab being "Local Resources" with options of "Remote computer sound you may choose to bring it to the comptuer that you are on or do not play or leave at remote computer. "mine is set to "bring to this comptuer" just below that is "Keyboard" with "Apply Windows key combinations" (or example ALT+TAB) in the menu you can select either "On the local computer, on the remote computer or in full screen mode only" i've got mine set to In full screen mode only. last but not least on that tab is "Local Devices" Connect automatical to these local devices when logged on to the remote computer. check the boxes you would like to have access to, I've got them all checked. moving along to the "Programs tab" you've got the option to launch a program when you connect to the remote computer if you'd like... fill it out accordingly if you want. next tab... "Experience" you can choose your connection speed to optomize performance... i've got mine set to "LAN(10 MMps or higher) and everything is checked" if your doing this over the internet choose your modem speed. and thats its :) make sure these settings are the same on the other computer(s) :) I hope this helped

Oh also i forgot to say that in place of the computer name you can put the IP address :)

bdf24 said:
How did you get Remote Desktop to work. I set it up on both of my machine's. But it wont let me connect from either one. It keep's asking for a password. And then telling me I don't have permission to connect.

Did you have this same problem at all? And if so. How did you fix it?

I'm using VNC now but it's SO SLOW.

Did you ever get it to work ?

My vote is for Remote Desktop built into XP also. VNC is just too slow for me.

Another option is a program called NetSupport. I use it at work. It's not a cheap program and it's not for small networks. But if you ever get a chance to use it, you'll never go back. It even has it's own scripting to allow you to poll machines for certain statistic, files, and registry entries.

it is really easy to use, it only took me like 5 mins to setup both computers for use.

Back