• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing fans on CM 690 II Advanced

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seebs

Fronting as a Mod Member
Hey guys...
I ordered my CM-690 II Advanced and I have a few mods planned for it.

This is the hardware that will go in it:
MoBo: MSI 870A-G54
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555BE
RAM: Mushkin Blacklines 2x2GB @ 1600MHz CL8
GPU: XFX HD5670 1GB
PSU: Corsair 550VX
I have the HDDs and Optical Drives so no need to buy those.
Total Spend at Newegg: $524 + S&H

I will be getting a TRUE rev C and the corresponding fan a few weeks later.

And what I plan to do to the case:
* The case will be painted as follows:
-- Most of the case will remain in original paint job.
-- Mesh parts and the frame that supports the case will be painted like this:
--- Primer + Duplicolor MetalSpecks Retro Red + Duplicolor Shadow Translucent Black + Duplicolor Shadow Glossy Clear.
That will hopefully create a sparkly red color that is muted by a translucent black top so it won't be too red.

* I plan on adding a dividing plate above the PSU to separate the PSU from the main area of the Case. This separator will be made of 5mm frosted white plexi and aluminum frame, it will be illuminated (still haven't decided between EL Tape or LED Strips... leaning towards LED Strips since there is no need for inverter with this one... The frame will be painted in the same red + black as the mesh.

* I will move the HDD cage from the original position down to the floor of the case; under the divisor plate. Doing this will interfere with the front mounted 140mm fan that CM includes with the case, so I will have to make some changest there too.

The PSU is 85mm in height so the divisor plate will go at around 95mm from the floor of the case; which would allow for a 80mm or 92mm fan to go in the front part and bring in cool air to the HDDs and PSU. I have a Delta 80mm that I took from an old Dell that I had, so I could use that one there.

And now above the divisor:
* Since I'll be moving the HDD cage down to the bottom and I only plan on using 2 of the 5.25 bays (1 Optical drive + 1 Fan Controller); I figure I may be able to squeeze two 140 mm fans as intakes above the divisor.

I don't have the case with me to take exact measurements, but the case is 510mm top to botttom on the outside and I figure about 480mm from the inside bottom to the inside top...

100mm are gone at the bottom with the divisor and the two 5.25 drivebays will take another 100mm... that leaves me with 280mm (just enough space to fit the two 140 fans)... Here's hoping. :rolleyes:

The case comes with three included fans:
1 x 140mm front blue LED fan
1 x 140mm top regular fan
1 x 120mm rear regular fan
All fans are being taken out and replaced.

So I need:
1 x 120mm fan for rear exhaust
4 x 140mm fans: 2 for Front intake (if they fit) and 2 for top exhaust.

If you would be so kind as to recommend some 140mm fans for me I'd appreciate it.
I've been thinking about the Noise Blocker PK3s, but at $25 a pop, it gets kind of expensive for a budget build. Or should I just get Medium Speed Yates and be done with it?
My only requirement is that the fans NOT be illuminated or in crazy colors. I'd prefer all black fans and when the time comes to paint the case, I can maybe paint the fans in the same shade of red.

Ok guys... I await your suggestions on this. And if anyone has that case and has measurements of the inside (top to bottom) I'd appreciate it if you can let me know if my assumptions are correct on the dimensions.

And if anyone that owns the CM690 knows for a fact that I won't be able to fit the two 140mm fans at the front, please advise and I can switch the plan to having two 120mm fans in there as well.

Cheers
Sebastian

thermalright has the ty-140 which is setup with 120mm mounting holes (like a noctua 140 if you're familiar), which is how most 140's seem to be done. Otherwise, yates and done.

I know the TY-140... Only issue with them is the fugly color (brown + light blue)... I guess I could always paint the frame black.. And I don't think I'd need PWM fans since they're all going to be hooked up to a fan controller anyway... Lamptron FC2 will be the one... I plan on stealthing it with a mesh front so only the knobs come through and there is no LED light from it.

I think I've just answered some of my questions...
I got a sketchup model of the CM 690 and did a mock up of the mod that I plan on doing (A total pain in the A$$ on this old Celeron computer that I have for now)...

Seems fitting two 140mm fans above the divider will not be possible.

mockupd.jpg

I tried moving it down and still... two 140s won't fit unless I remove the bottom 3 drive bays... I may just test that way once I get the case in my hands so I can have exact measurements. That model seems close enough, but I noticed it is off in some places so I won't take it as gospel.

i fit 1 140mm and 1 80 mm up front below the 5.25 drive area and 1 140mm resting on top of the dvd burner secured with with double sided tape.

i used yate loon 140mm fans, decent fans, you get what you pay for. but i also have a noctua 140mm from my heatsink and scythe kaze maru 140mm fans. noctua are whisper quiet and the scythe are loud but move a ton of air so they need a fan controller.

@ fundip
I have placed one 80mm at the bottom; below the divider...
Above the divider there isn't enough space for two 140s as it is, but I may just remove the unused drive bays and that may give me the space I need to be able to squeeze the two fans in there.
I'm debating between Yates and Scythes... I guess the fans will be the last thing I buy once my case and the rest of the components are delivered... I can always run the PC with stock setup while I build the divider.

im not sure what you mean by saying that you'll be able to put two 140's below the divider unless u plan on stacking them. what i have done is place the dvd drive in the bottom 5.25 bay and attached a 140 mm fan on top of it with 2 sided tape in the remaining 3 5.25 drive bays.

the scythe kaze maru fans are loud like a vacuum cleaner at full throttle, just to let you know, but they push about 20% more air than the noctua.

The fans will not go below the divider...

This is how I have it planned
1 x 80mm fan below divider to bring air to HDD Cage and PSU.
2 x 140mm fans above divider (if they fit)...

Back