• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reported fake Intel CPU sold at Newegg (first build ever - i7 920)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah the whole intel/demo thing is a complete farce. No way that is a demo. I have seen a few intel demo's and they are usually just empty boxes. or plastic chips presented.

I would bet this was done before the shipment hit the US. The boxes were most likely the same exact weight as the originals and this would fool 99% of the shipping chain as it is almost all automatic. Even the Newegg warehouse is almost all automatic until final packaging, everything there is done by weight.

Far as I know, the only time people at newegg put their hands on a product is when the order bin stops in front of the shelf and a light blinks. After that the next time it gets touched is when it is boxed for shipping. I would bet that neither person involved knows anything about detecting counterfeits or QC and probably doesnt care.

As for what newegg has said about this, that story was carefully calculated by PR and lawyers so as to not cause any issues.

I can't believe I read the whole thread and links from this thread.

To the OP: Dreadrok, sorry you got a bad rap in some of the other forums. I saw that they called shinanigans on you.

To Newegg: You guys have a great rep. Why soil that with the "Demo" story? They are anything but demos. I call shinanigans on that but I believe that Newegg will work hard to make right.

To all: Many talk about the work and effort to do this. If I lived without money, no TV time and no computer time, I would have the time and perhaps motivation to do this work. The effort is in the first one. The other 299 are copies of the first. A mold for the "fan" and some expanding foam? Nothing to it. A printed sticker to complete the "fan"? Nothing to it. A box? Simple. The printing would be hard but after the first one, the rest are easy. This seems like two days of work for a potential profit of half the retail cost (cost estimated for talking purposes) $40,000 USD profit? That's a years wage for me and I live in the US.

Doing that work for legitimate profits pays too little compared to that. If you serve no time, the crime paid.

Wow i just signed on to see what was up today and this thread blew up pretty good huh?
thanks for not thinking i was a hoaxter too guys, that was pretty funny/frustrating to think about when i was still angry about my i7.
Im glad i posted my pics when i did.. day 2 after i shipped the fake back.

On a side note newegg has been pretty cool about it all and hopefully i will get my cpu monday or tuesday. they are also giving me a couple freebies so thats cool.. tobad its not a SSD tho =P

On a side side note.. should i just make a new build thread? i think this one has officially been hijacked by the fake i7 monster.

OMFG I never knew I had so much in common with hitler... its kinda creeping me out!!!

What's funny is that Newegg has nothing posted about this on their website anywhere?

I wonder why? The i7 920 is still available as well.

What's funny is that Newegg has nothing posted about this on their website anywhere?

I wonder why? The i7 920 is still available as well.
Selling a counterfeit product doesn't always get the best kind of attention. I can see why newegg would want to keep it under wraps. From what I understand, only some of the processors were fakes. Hence why there would be no need to stop orders on the 920. I'm sure they will check and recheck their remaining orders placed recently. Newegg has always provided great customer service.

As stated before, the authorities or Intel corp. could be telling newegg to keep it hush-hush. As long as they fix the problem then it's fine with me.

That's pretty strange, based on how the supply chain works. If even I get shipments of these chips direct from Intel, I'm sure Newegg does as well, so I wonder how something like this managed to sneak it's way in.

Not just Intel

I saw this post linked from Digg and found it to be thoroughly interesting. In a similar vein, I thought you guys might like this article from Andrew "bunnie" Huang about some issues he had with SD Micro cards. bunnie is VP of Hardware Engineering at Chumby Industries. They make this awesome little internet appliance that is really hackable.

In any case, they had a whole line of chumbies go bad and they traced it back to the SD card. bunnie's blog post talks about how he investigated the issue and how he looked at the electronics themselves (hint: he used acid to eat the plastic case off).

The bottom line and how it relates to this processor thing is that Kingston is another big electronics company, and a similar thing happened to them. It's not just Intel, and in some cases there are opportunities to game the system right off the manufacturing line. You might not need to wait all the way to delivery.

bunnie:studios - On MicroSD Problems

Not sure if you guys saw the latest from Intel, it was posted a few hours ago on [H]...I set up an article about it for our readers here:
http://www.overclockers.com/intel-comments-fake-processors/

This whole situation is crazy. I can't believe that someone was able to pull a fast one like that without Newegg or the distributor catching on. It'd be interesting to track these processors from factory to consumer, to see how many people or companies have their hands on the product before the consumer. I wonder where along the chain were the processors switched out? Your guess is as good as mine.

I will keep you guys posted if I hear anything. We put in emails to Newegg and Intel for more information, but looks like [H] has some inside contacts over there. Keep an eye out.

Matt

Wow i just signed on to see what was up today and this thread blew up pretty good huh?
thanks for not thinking i was a hoaxter too guys, that was pretty funny/frustrating to think about when i was still angry about my i7.
Im glad i posted my pics when i did.. day 2 after i shipped the fake back.

On a side note newegg has been pretty cool about it all and hopefully i will get my cpu monday or tuesday. they are also giving me a couple freebies so thats cool.. tobad its not a SSD tho =P

On a side side note.. should i just make a new build thread? i think this one has officially been hijacked by the fake i7 monster.

Hey what did you get? I need to call them back!

Within a week of being created, this is going to be the most viewed thread on OCF, trumping stickies which have been up for years heh. Just proves everybody loves a good scandal :)

The "heatsink" appears to be expanding resin or similar, molded.

I am kinda curious though how the "CPUs" were constructed. Anyone have any info? The bottom looks like molded metal. Is it lead? Or did they machine/stamp aluminum or something?

The "heatsink" appears to be expanding resin or similar, molded.

I am kinda curious though how the "CPUs" were constructed. Anyone have any info? The bottom looks like molded metal. Is it lead? Or did they machine/stamp aluminum or something?

looks like they took a casting of a real one and made a mold then poured em into it, It looks like pewter or cheap aluminum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back