• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reported fake Intel CPU sold at Newegg (first build ever - i7 920)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how Newegg has handled this. Further thoughts in this thread, post 8 specifically:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636789

I agree 100%. Nowhere have I read anyone reporting that Newegg has done anything but begin procedure to fix the issue in their customer's eyes.

On the other hand I think D&H is being a little over zealous in trying to protect their reputation. Seeing as how I've never heard the name before reports of them trying to get their name out of the news began coming out. Of course if they're only protecting themselves to the end of having more retail outlets to supply then I feel it matters little as to what we as a community think of them since there is no concrete connection between us and them. If they're a publicly traded company on the other hand its another ball of wax entirely ;)

I work for a company that sells obsolete electronic components... We get counterfeit parts often, where we would have to send them out for xray testing. This one just takes the cake!

Wow, C&D orders now? Jeeze, what a great idea. I mean, never in a million years would threatening legal action to silence individuals posting to a thread with +100k hits in 3 days be a bad idea. Great move. :rolleyes:

My sympathies to you guys that got hit with the orders... that must really suck.

Ok, I'm about to fall out of my chair here. It seems a genius writer at PC World seems to think the processors you all see lovely photos of in the OP actually work! Have a look at this article for a good laugh - Four Reasons to Beware Fake Intel CPUs.

Wow.

:clap: O-M-G.

Time to hire a new writer I think.... man what ever happened to due diligence? It's like they necro'd an article from 10 years ago and cut'n pasted i7 in the right places. Heh, that article missed the point worse than Pearl Harbor sucked. :D

Ok, I'm about to fall out of my chair here. It seems a genius writer at PC World seems to think the processors you all see lovely photos of in the OP actually work! Have a look at this article for a good laugh - Four Reasons to Beware Fake Intel CPUs.

Wow.

Hokie...maybe you need to go give this guy some lessons on writing and reporting.

Um...was this sentence in the original article:
The inferior packaging, blatant spelling errors, and blank product manual were major red flags for observant customers in this case, but the issue highlights the fact that fake CPU's are out there
?

I sure don't remember it, but it's there now.

Maybe it would help if the writer put a picture of an actual i7 or even modern CPU rather than an old pin type Pentium III ;)

Um...was this sentence in the original article:

?

I sure don't remember it, but it's there now.

Yes, that was in the original when I read it, around the same time we were looking at this on IM together. I specifically remember that part when I first read it - it was the only relevant part of the whole article, the rest was just jumping on the bandwagon to gain some hits off a popular topic.

Huh...ok, well then I'm sorry to the author I called out. Apparently I missed that, even reading specifically for such a thing. Sorry guys!

Huh...ok, well then I'm sorry to the author I called out. Apparently I missed that, even reading specifically for such a thing. Sorry guys!

Nope, pretty sure you got it right the first time...

[Author's Note: While the fake processors involved in the Newegg Core i7 incident are literally hunks of metal good for little other than weighing down paper, it highlights the fact that fake/counterfeit processors are out there. This article addresses the concerns related to counterfeit CPU's in general, and why buyers should exercise caution and due diligence to ensure the hadrware is genuine.]

This is at the top of the article now as well. I'm pretty sure neither were there when I read it the first time. But, I could be wrong, (I doubt it though).

Possible you guys caught it at different times, I wasn't the first set of eyes to hit the article, and that author note was not in the original when I read it.

tonybradley posted Mon Mar 08 12:18:39 PST 2010

This article was intended to highlight concerns with CPU counterfeiting in general--not issues specific to the 300 fake processors sold by Newegg. There were already enough articles out there reporting the news related to the Newegg incident and I wanted to take a broader approach and provide some tips to beware counterfeit hardware in general.

An Author's Note has been added at the beginning of the article to clarify.

Heh, I don't know if it was there or not. I did read it twice looking for something like that. I'm fallible though. If it was, good for him and my mistake. If not....should have looked into it more before publishing.

Has anyone ever heard of a counterfeit, operable i7? It would seem the things are entirely too complicated to be operable on any X58 board. There would be so much that went into designing the counterfeit. The only people with the know-how would be Intel engineers.

Maybe not counterfeit ones, but perhaps really poor quality failed QC ones could get dispersed?

Wow, what scares me is how these boxes with fans like that even got out of NewEgg's hands, or anyone else for that matter

So I decided to get things rolling and document my progress through my first ever build, not to mention my new rig since my one from like 2002 just died and it was going to be more of a hassle to get her working again for shoddy performance.

soo... some stuff from the egg came in today... maybe half of what i ordered..
ill post those pics later but first i want to show you guys this.

I 'm multilingual and I can tell you that observant French and German users also see typo's: in the French text there's "et une solutions thermale" with an 's' too much (because it 's singular). In the German translation I found "enthäit", must be 'enthält' while "Drejahresgarantie" must be 'Dreijahresgarantie ...

I 'm multilingual and I can tell you that observant French and German users also see typo's: in the French text there's "et une solutions thermale" with an 's' too much (because it 's singular). In the German translation I found "enthäit", must be 'enthält' while "Drejahresgarantie" must be 'Dreijahresgarantie ...

Nice to have a translator :) Possibly a combination of bad editing and crappy OCR software used to scan an original box image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back