• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reported fake Intel CPU sold at Newegg (first build ever - i7 920)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok as for the improperly balanced? Or do you mean the weight is wrong? The driver rarely has any contact with the load and any time they do is at either the receiver or the shipper. On some occasions you load and unload your trailer but that doesn't happen a lot any more. Or you have to hire a lumper. A lumper is some one that works for the company that is shipping or receiving but you have to pay them to load or unload. Ok as for the Weight. On a tractor trailer in the United States you have strict regulations. Like for instance. The front(steer) axle you can have a max of 12,000 The rear axle of the tractor you can have a max of 34,000 and the trailer axle(tandem) you can have 34,000 for a total of 80,000. That is unless you have specific permits. You can be overweight but you will need permits. Your fuel load also plays a factor in weight like you don't always just fill up. If you are getting a load that will put you toward the max then you won't be able to top up. The weight is always on the bill of laden some times its a little off but not by a lot. If it is close then you may have to adjust your tandems or in extreme cases your 5th wheel. Most drivers don't like touching the 5th wheel and will only do so when it is absolutely necessary. Places that typically ship loads that will put the tractor at 80,000 well close to it usually have scales on site. You as a driver are responsible for the weight so you have to check it and adjust. If it is over and you contact your company and they say run with it with out the proper permits then they will be liable for any tickets or anything. There are other places out there that has scales as well like CAT or some truck stops even have scales. The company will usually reimburse you for the scale use. So unless something major happens like an accident then there wont be any redistributing of loads. If your Weights are right they can't make you go in the back and move things around. Most of the time it is impossible any way due to no pallet jacks. Ok with all that being said if a cop or dot decides to inspect your load like open it up then they will have to replace the seal with one of the same or higher quality and sign the paperwork for it. Any changes in the load will then be on them for liability. That's one reason why I think it doesn't happen very often.

Some people reading this that are interested.. Trucks can handle a lot more than 80,000lbs. However, our roads cannot. If any of you ever lived near like a textile or steel plant or something along those lines that have trucks running back and forth with no weigh stations in between you may notice a few roads the ones they travel a lot are bowed inward. That is because they don't conform to weight standards and are unchecked. So to keep road maintenance at its lowest. The government mandates 80,000 max unless you have a permit or permits due to some loads being overweight and over sized. Any questions?
Thanks for the answer! I have family who used to be in the trucking industry (mostly in the '70's and '80's), and I guess at the time, it wasn't uncommon for the warehouse people to not care about weight requirements when they were loading trailers...resulting in too much weight on one set of tandems and too little on the other, and the driver needing to go in the trailer and move things around. OTOH, I think they mostly drove doubles or single-axle 40' trailers where you couldn't adjust the rear axle any. In any event, it's nice to see that things changed over the years...and I was about to ask about how the trailer was re-secured after an inspection, but saw that you answered it. Thanks again! :thup:

One of the things on the IPEX site is thermoplastics, as in the same stuff that was used to make the fake coolers.

I have had nothing but great customer service from Newegg over the years, I am confident they will handle this just as well as they did my past issues.

there's a few IPEX companies in the world. Don't think you checked out the right one.

From http://www.overclockers.com/newegg-releases-statement-fake-processors/

"Initial information we received from our supplier, IPEX, stated that they had mistakenly shipped us “demo units.” We have since come to discover the CPUs were counterfeit and are terminating our relationship with this supplier. Contrary to any speculation, D&H Distributing is not the vendor that supplied us with the Intel Core i7-920 CPUs in question."

If this is true and I have no reason to doubt its validity I will hold to my word and say my sincerest apologies to d&h. The C&D letters sent out was a bad move on their part and only perpetrated their guilt. Maybe next time they will battle the many with information rather than threats.

"It appears that D&H Distributing is not involved, perhaps those cease and desist letters were warranted?"

Sry but I don't agree they were warranted. A C&D letter is rarely ever warranted especially when they could have come forth and said hey.. It wasn't us and offered a bit of proof. NewEgg coming out and saying it wasn't them was a big help to them.

Now this is just a bit of over speculation.. So take it as that. I just hope that it was in fact IPEX's fault and not d&H's like for instance if IPEX is much smaller then newegg could easily say it was them to get off the backs of the larger d&h. The little guy taking the fall so to speak. I repeat that is pure speculation I am not advocating that I just see a slight possibility that could be the case and have no proof that it is.

One of the things on the IPEX site is thermoplastics, as in the same stuff that was used to make the fake coolers.

I have had nothing but great customer service from Newegg over the years, I am confident they will handle this just as well as they did my past issues.

Presumably, Newegg is referring to IPEX Infotech, Inc. (a different company that specializes in distributing CPUs etc.).

Thanks for the answer! I have family who used to be in the trucking industry (mostly in the '70's and '80's), and I guess at the time, it wasn't uncommon for the warehouse people to not care about weight requirements when they were loading trailers...resulting in too much weight on one set of tandems and too little on the other, and the driver needing to go in the trailer and move things around. OTOH, I think they mostly drove doubles or single-axle 40' trailers where you couldn't adjust the rear axle any. In any event, it's nice to see that things changed over the years...and I was about to ask about how the trailer was re-secured after an inspection, but saw that you answered it. Thanks again! :thup:

No prob. There are a lot of misinformation about the logistics industry. Or a lack of understanding. The actual transportation via tractor trailer is the most secure in this regard. As for the accountability aspect. It is just very little room for some one to exchange from the back of a truck and it just doesn't make sense. Stealing the cargo sure. Stealing the truck and cargo sure. Replacing the cargo in the back of a truck with fakes??? Just doesn't compute...

lxlqlxl, I'd qualify your personal comments as rampant conspiracy theorization at best, and total fabrication at worst. :beer:

As I said.. Speculation. I never said them to be true or actual thought. It is plausible. Just not likely. Considering occam's razor n all.

I direct you to.. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/speculation
Particularly
"–noun
1. the contemplation or consideration of some subject: to engage in speculation on humanity's ultimate destiny.
2. a single instance or process of consideration.
3. a conclusion or opinion reached by such contemplation: These speculations are impossible to verify.
4. conjectural consideration of a matter; conjecture or surmise: a report based on speculation rather than facts. "

And.. "—Synonyms
3. supposition, view, theory, hypothesis."

No sweat, just intended as a lighthearted comment - I get where your heads at. Also, I read your comments above - very informative and detailed. Good stuff. :thup:

Presumably, Newegg is referring to IPEX Infotech, Inc. (a different company that specializes in distributing CPUs etc.).

I would think so...that looks like the culprit. It looks like a small operation to me. I emailed several folks there to find out more information. If I get a response, I'll make sure to post it.

If I had to guess, this distributing company did not send Newegg fake boxes on purpose. I have to agree with some of the posters above, I bet this occurred overseas somewhere. It just seems unlikely that the spelling errors would be there intentionally. Either way, there are still plenty of things we don't know, so anything we all discuss is speculation at this point. I expect we'll hear more from Newegg in the next few days...

Matt

No sweat, just intended as a lighthearted comment - I get where your heads at. Also, I read your comments above - very informative and detailed. Good stuff. :thup:

Yeah kinda figured the lightheartedness with the drunken smiley. Just wanted to make it clear. I said a few posts back that if d&h where found to be innocent that I'd be the first to apologize. I don't know if I was first in the whole grand scheme of things but on this thread I think I was. Not to be competitive or anything :p. I just think I am and people as a whole are big enough to admit when they are either wrong or given misinformation and able to correct themselves. To me that shows more character than holding to a single point beyond all belief and all common knowledge as a fact. The speculation is plausible it can be that way its just one possibility among others that the odds of it being that way are very low.

Oh and no prob on the detailed and informative bit. I tend to venture off topic some due to the complexity of trying to explain some things though. Something I need to work at more.

Offtopic discussion removed, crossposting topics to get traffic to your own thread isn't permitted. Thank you for the cooperation.

I had no doubt NewEgg would handle this and get prompt service to the affected parties,they have been good to me over the years and is deserving of my business and support..

Gray Market

It's maybe already been discussed here... but an entirely different angle on this is NewEgg getting these fake processors at all. As far as can be noted - IPEX is not an authorized Intel Channel Partner. That's putting it nicely.

They (NewEgg) bought outside Intel authorized distribution and shipped the fakes they, I would assume, thought they'd saved a few bucks on. These were really bad, non-functional fakes at that... but other articles suggest that there are counterfeit Intel processors that do operate, but not to full spec, etc.

these really bad fakes rolled out undetected.... With consideration to their Intel Partner status, I'd expect Intel is most certainly on them regarding the entire fiasco that is no less a result of them buying from this non-authorized/gray market supplier - it's a pretty short list Intel has in the tabs for who is authorized to distribute.
http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/ASMO-NA/ENG/227304.htm

Since it seems the text on the labels was scanned and OCR'ed (with obvious faults), I too think that this happened in the far-East.
I think, if this was done in the West, they would have taken care of those typo's because they are pretty obvious to most Westerners ...

i think the typos were to obvious and were probably done on purpose to throw people off there trail a bit.

State will call on the ICC (Interstate Commerce Commission & Intrastate Commerce Commission) and customs laws to do the seal breakage. Depending on the origin of the load and the seal.

I don't think these were intercepted at the shipping yard... I would agree to that if there weren't any typo's and or grammar mistakes on the box.

This is clearly a drop and swap tactic.. Or "Fell off the truck....."

Last edited:
i think the typos were to obvious and were probably done on purpose to throw people off there trail a bit.

And the non-English typos as well? Meh. I think some of us are giving these guys too much credit. Yes, they are obviously clever, but I seriously doubt they're criminal master minds or anything. Seems obvious these guys did just enough to get the job done. The entire unopened package was designed well enough to pass through automated distribution, but would barely stand up to anything more than a courtesy visual inspection... the fan being the more obvious giveaway since one could easily notice it's a sticker through the window if they thought to look closely at it. The risk of earlier detection due to misspellings on the box would likely increase the chances of them getting caught. Not worth the risk of trying to leave a false trail... assuming they were intelligent enough to even consider it.

However, no one would ever consider counterfeit CPU's. we're looking at the bare code, or the general looking of the box... Hey, this fooled Newegg's receiving department as well as the shipping department. There should be a QA receiving department at newegg.com, to insure the parts are what they say they are. Or maybe someone dropped the ball, and it was an inside job with newegg employees... Has this happened to other e-tailers or just the egg? If not, I may be onto something here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back