• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

'Reset Occurred' while burning ANYTHING help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

N1NJA

I just got a HP DVD7 40i DVD burner like maybe 2 months ago, probably less and it refuses to burn. Anything. I know this is vague but I wanted to burn a DVD one day, and it got like 80% done and just said 'Reset Occurred' and failed. And ever since it hasn't burned anything, which must be my luck at work because it can burn every type of cd/dvd there is, but it won't. I already googled this error like a trillion times (joking it was more like a bajilion times) and it seems like tons of people are getting this error after a hardware change, but the only thing I have changed was my RAM a week ago, after the drive has not been working. Anyone else here get this error? Oh and I have tried Nero 6, DVD Decrypter, DVD shrink, and DVD X Copy, and they all give the same error. I would give a log of it but I reformatted the HDD of that PC a few days ago (and still can't get it to recognize the friggin XP disc, way to go Gates)

I switched them from how they were to opposite to how they were before and it never worked eitherf time, but the 2nd cd burner still works

I am not sure if you switched the ram before the problem or after but incompatable ram will cause a reset.
If you are trying to copying a movie DVD? The software that you are using may be the problem.

I've tried 3 different programs to burn and it still won't work. My old cd burner still does fine though, so it's not the softwares or ram or it wouldn't burn either. I'm hoping a fresh install of a different OS (Debian instead of XP) will jog it's memory into working again.

Do you have another system available that you can put the drive in? If so, that'd be the best way to see if the drive has kicked the bucket. If it still doesnt work in a second system, perhaps a firmware update is in line.

I always recomend an 80 wire cable for a DVD burner as mine would not work on a 40 wire cable, but after some people said theirs did. I done a search and it seems that some MBs look for and require an 80 wire cable. My manual doesn't say this but it says 80 wire cable backward compatable to several drives and one is DVD. If your not using one, it is worth a try.

It used to work fine though, if it needs a 80 wire I don't see why it would be working on a 40

From your first post I thought it never worked on a DVD. If you can't try the burner in another computer. Try contacting the manufacture, on line support may be free but you may have to pay for phone support.

I'll try it in my other pc asap, but the bix it's in now is refusing to run KDE and I'd rather have Linux working than a DVD burner and no OS

Back