• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Retro AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Let me toss up a couple more screen shots for reference.

Since AMD OverDrive is so nice to have all these timing options, far beyond the bios offerings, I will probably demonstrate some software tweaking along the way for those not familiar.

I mean just look at all the goodies in AOD! Drive strengths channels A and B, Command Rate on the fly, 23 available options on the top half of AOD alone apposed to 13 available options in bios.

Any how, here's a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20140804_223214.jpg
    IMG_20140804_223214.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20140804_223241.jpg
    IMG_20140804_223241.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 6400+ AOD Memory tweak 1.png
    6400+ AOD Memory tweak 1.png
    177.2 KB · Views: 66
Call this first exam. 5-4-5 set via bios naturally. Use AOD after I cannot tweak any more and loose stability through bios.

Attachments

• 6400+ 5-4-5 432Mhz mem.png
    6400+ 5-4-5 432Mhz mem.png
    193.1 KB · Views: 65
Squeeze them. Same Cpu frequency, same Ram frequency.

Bios posted 5-4-4-14-22. 432Mhz 1.95v ftw. The PiMod time gets faster.

Attachments

• 6400+ 5-4-4-14 432Mhz mem.png
    6400+ 5-4-4-14 432Mhz mem.png
    121.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 6400+ 5-4-4 432Mhz mem.png
    6400+ 5-4-4 432Mhz mem.png
    76.1 KB · Views: 60
Very nice. I can't wait til my ASUS shows up. My MSI k9 board has a 690 chipset and AOD only supports 7XX+.

Also I never adjust anything under the tRC in BIOS because I don't know what they do or how to adjust them. Looks like I need to learn. Thanks for posting.

Very nice. I can't wait til my ASUS shows up. My MSI k9 board has a 690 chipset and AOD only supports 7XX+.

Also I never adjust anything under the tRC in BIOS because I don't know what they do or how to adjust them. Looks like I need to learn. Thanks for posting.

Sorry for the very belated reply/s BlayLock. It's been very busy since Saturday at about 11:30am. My Aunt (whom lives in the house next door) was on her way home for lunch before going to work and blacked out at the steering wheel. She was on a side street going slowly and veered off and parked the car into a tree. After CAT scan and MRI, they found a tumor ( benign from the looks of it) and I've been very busy helping her. So I've been more than limited on PC time as I have been sacrificing sleep to play with this set up. I spend my time with this to help take my mind off stuff and relax before knocking off to sleep.

Circled in red are 4 settings in bios that do show in AMD Over Drive. They are Row refresh cycle times. 0-1-2-3. when I set them all to 105ns, I get a no post overclock failed. So always best to do one at a time.

The picture depicts these settings on auto in the bios. 0 and 1 are 127.5ns and 2-3 are 75ns. On the fly, I'll make adjustments with AOD and if passes testing can be perma changed in bios. This helps save restarts and possible clearings of the CMOS which can get annoying if you don't have a profile saved or dual bios.

when it comes to tweaking memory, voltage and cooling can and will play a role in timing sets as the smaller the latency, the better the performance "usually" is.

I also got some new to me goodies for my own clowning around. Giga 970X UD3 with a 955BE Phenom II. It is a DDR2 board, so no FX chips or DDR3. For me not so interested in the motherboard as opposed to de-lidding the 955BE after doing some OC testing.

The pics!

Attachments

• Row Refresh AOD stock auto bios.png
    Row Refresh AOD stock auto bios.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20140806_221906.jpg
    IMG_20140806_221906.jpg
    625.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20140715_094406.jpg
    IMG_20140715_094406.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 57
I'm very sorry to hear about your Aunt, though if it is benign that would be good news. No worries on the delay. I've been pretty swamped here to and have been running on about 5 hours of sleep a night for at least 2 weeks now. According to USPS tracking I should be receiving my M4A785-M today, but due to family obligations probably wont be able to get it plugged in until after Monday. :(

As far as the tRFC0-3 goes are you planning on dropping 0+1 to get as low as possible keeping stability or is 105ns a sort of sweet spot? For tRFC2+3 will you be raising it towards 105ns or was 105 just a middle of the road you were shooting for?

My Phenom II is my favorite chip to play with, but as it is running my primary rig I don't have immediate plans to beat it up much. Not until I start my next build that is. Anyhow, Hope all goes well with your Aunt and thank God she wasn't on the freeway. (Not that you can drive fast on 94 through Chigago. lol)

I'm very sorry to hear about your Aunt, though if it is benign that would be good news. No worries on the delay. I've been pretty swamped here to and have been running on about 5 hours of sleep a night for at least 2 weeks now. According to USPS tracking I should be receiving my M4A785-M today, but due to family obligations probably wont be able to get it plugged in until after Monday. :(

As far as the tRFC0-3 goes are you planning on dropping 0+1 to get as low as possible keeping stability or is 105ns a sort of sweet spot? For tRFC2+3 will you be raising it towards 105ns or was 105 just a middle of the road you were shooting for?

My Phenom II is my favorite chip to play with, but as it is running my primary rig I don't have immediate plans to beat it up much. Not until I start my next build that is. Anyhow, Hope all goes well with your Aunt and thank God she wasn't on the freeway. (Not that you can drive fast on 94 through Chigago. lol)

Know all about the 5 hours sleep deal.... story of my life! lol.

So far I haven't had much luck with Row refresh cycle times. So as you see them, I've been leaving them alone at 127 and 75ns as I just get an instant blue screen changing the 127 to 105ns and the 75ns is as tight as it gets.

Probably work on the tras and Trc timings probably get Tras to 10 and Trc hopefully into the teens, and then work some data drive strengths after that. So far with PiMod I haven't seen it say not "exact in round" error and that's usually a good indication of instability from PiMod. So far been running what you see in the last screen shot of 5-4-4-14-22 @ 1.95v and 432Mhz. I believe it's a decent speed for the timings, although I'm running 4 sticks, they all seem to be playing nicely.

Can't wait to see how your board clocks up. I forget what processor/s you plan on clocking. Was it 6000+ or 6400+?? Both are good for about 3.3ghz on a big bad air cooler, But that 6000+ should run considerably cooler than the 6400+.

I can tell you from the many Am2 chips that 1.6v ++ is a sweet spot for clocking up past 3400mhz on liquid cooling. Once you hit between 3500 and 3600mhz chilling is required and voltage can start exceeding 1.65-1.7v to get these windsors and Brisbanes to go.

A mention on Brisbane processors..... Either they wall or they clock up good. No in between for some reason. I've had many lower end chips wall between 3 and 3.2ghz. The FX-62 I had was only good for about 3400mhz top Cpu-z with Dry Ice on 1.6v. More voltage didn't seem to help that one, but it was a fun chip. (this is windsor core actually now that I look at it.... http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1694033 Clocked that one up on my favorite board M3A32 MVP wifi deluxe. I tried to Dice and TEC cool many processors on that motherboard. Most cold bugged out right at about 0-f/c Some did a little colder than others, but usually within about 15f of each other all low end chips.

Last edited:
OK tweaking update. Ill effected perhaps because it's a different day on a new reboot? Or perhaps over tweaked yet still stable. Time fell from 20.min to 21.33 min

Ran 2 times, got the same time of 21.33min

Only changes between these 2 screen shots are circled in red AOD.

Attachments

• 6400+ 5-4-4-11-19 432mhz.png
    6400+ 5-4-4-11-19 432mhz.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 6400+ 5-4-4-11-19 432mhz II.png
    6400+ 5-4-4-11-19 432mhz II.png
    162.5 KB · Views: 45
lol I though socket A's were retro :p

So, n00b question (since I use Intel) do all mobo's support overdrive? or certain models?
Nifty that you can change those timings on the fly :thup:

lol I though socket A's were retro :p

So, n00b question (since I use Intel) do all mobo's support overdrive? or certain models?
Nifty that you can change those timings on the fly :thup:

I come from ClassicPlatforms, pretty sure sA is Vintage, but thanks for giving me a hard time.....

Figured Retro cause I'm only running a dual core that is 90nm. If not mistaken, we are at what 22nm Intels and 32nm AMDs all 8 threaded.....Sure there's a few guys with systems this old for daily driver, but this rig can't handle the new titles even on a dream and a wish and a bucket of gold. lol

AMD OverDrive works with AMD 7-8-9xx series chipsets only. Does not work with NV chipsets or 6 series AMD or previous.

I come from ClassicPlatforms, pretty sure sA is Vintage, but thanks for giving me a hard time.....

Figured Retro cause I'm only running a dual core that is 90nm. If not mistaken, we are at what 22nm Intels and 32nm AMDs all 8 threaded.....Sure there's a few guys with systems this old for daily driver, but this rig can't handle the new titles even on a dream and a wish and a bucket of gold. lol

AMD OverDrive works with AMD 7-8-9xx series chipsets only. Does not work with NV chipsets or 6 series AMD or previous.

Sorry ShrimpBrime, didn't mean any offense! :grouphug:

Ahhh, okay. I didn't think all chipsets were supported, thank for clearing that up :)

Sorry ShrimpBrime, didn't mean any offense! :grouphug:

Ahhh, okay. I didn't think all chipsets were supported, thank for clearing that up :)

Oh man it's not a problem.... I forgot the LOL after the ... up there. Doesn't bother me a bit, every one is entitled to opinions.

There was something for older chipsets. I think it was A64 tweaker or something of that nature?? Yea here it is over at ExtremeOverClockingForums.com http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=106

Cool! Thanks for the link :)

I got my brother's old Athlon 64 3200+ somewhere, just need a board with OC'ing options for some adventuring into the unknown perhaps! (never OC'd and AMD other than my Duron :p)

I got my brother's old Athlon 64 3200+ somewhere, just need a board with OC'ing options for some adventuring into the unknown perhaps! (never OC'd and AMD other than my Duron :p)

AMD can be quite fun and challenging Mr. The Pharaoh! Plenty of chips capable of 100% overclocks with some practice and really good cooling. I've ventured to Intel on quite a few occasions and just can't get into it that much. No cold bugs on almost all of Intels platforms, The newer stuff 2xxxK and up are only multi OCs, and that's just no fun at all really. I mean it is and isn't. Yea they are really fast super nice performance, but man the tweaking. You get a whole bunch of settings in bios that seem only good for extreme cooling (LN2). Tried a handful of WitchDoctors tweaks with my Extreme 4 and it didn't seem to make a large enough impact to even bother. I'm talking 4.9ghz on multiplier and Cpu voltage only with a max core temp of 78c on most days. It 82c and forget it at that speed.

Any How, with this current set up, I find it just a blast. Such a LARGE variety of processors for AM2 it's not funny. Talking 90nm 65nm 45nm all in one socket. My 760G supports ALL AM2+ and AM3+ processors with the exception of FX-9xxx series processors. Now that is variety my friend! :cheers:

Additional Comment:

Now looking at my Cpu support list for my current board, it's missing a handful of AM2 processors I'm sure it'll run/support such as 3200+ single core Orleans core 2ghz 90nm (ADA3200CWBOX). Curious why they don't list anything lower than a 4600+ http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A785M/HelpDesk_CPU/

Last edited:
My Board was supposed to come in today, but the moron shipped the wrong one. He sent me an ASUS M4A88M-T with some unknown FM2 Processor. Still waiting on a reply from him. I just hope he didn't ship my board to the guy expecting his FM2 set up. What a nightmare.

I just fired up the chip and ram set I got from DeathHorse and it's a 3800+ Windsor. I had to straighten a few pins that got bent in shipping but alls good. Maybe Monday I can give it a little push to see what this MSI K9 can do with it. My other one is a 6000+ Windsor and the one I was supposed to get with my M4A785-M was a 250. In the end I should have 3 AM2 to work on getting some points with.

Anyhow it's getting late. G'night all!

My Board was supposed to come in today, but the moron shipped the wrong one. He sent me an ASUS M4A88M-T with some unknown FM2 Processor. Still waiting on a reply from him. I just hope he didn't ship my board to the guy expecting his FM2 set up. What a nightmare.

I just fired up the chip and ram set I got from DeathHorse and it's a 3800+ Windsor. I had to straighten a few pins that got bent in shipping but alls good. Maybe Monday I can give it a little push to see what this MSI K9 can do with it. My other one is a 6000+ Windsor and the one I was supposed to get with my M4A785-M was a 250. In the end I should have 3 AM2 to work on getting some points with.

Anyhow it's getting late. G'night all!

Yea that stuff happens. Hope it gets worked out to your benefit.

Which Athlon 64 3200+? There were 3200+ models on sockets 754, 939, and AM2.

Perhaps someone can recommend a board.

That's one of the things it's easy to get mixed up on with the Athlon 64 lineup.

AMD can be quite fun and challenging Mr. The Pharaoh! Plenty of chips capable of 100% overclocks with some practice and really good cooling.

Any How, with this current set up, I find it just a blast. Such a LARGE variety of processors for AM2 it's not funny. Talking 90nm 65nm 45nm all in one socket. My 760G supports ALL AM2+ and AM3+ processors with the exception of FX-9xxx series processors. Now that is variety my friend! :cheers:

Additional Comment:

Now looking at my Cpu support list for my current board, it's missing a handful of AM2 processors I'm sure it'll run/support such as 3200+ single core Orleans core 2ghz 90nm (ADA3200CWBOX). Curious why they don't list anything lower than a 4600+ http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A785M/HelpDesk_CPU/

You forgot one thing. Practice, really good cooling, and a good motherboard that can handle overclocking. I am proof positive that some boards just can't handle it. To anyone looking to get into AM2 overclocking: avoid the nForce 570 SLI and nForce 590 SLI chipset boards. I have had an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe and an M2N32-SLI Deluxe, and neither of them is all that good at overclocking.

Yeah, there sure are a lot of processors in socket AM2/AM2+.

Really, your board supports all of those?

Last edited:

That's one of the things it's easy to get mixed up on with the Athlon 64 lineup.

754 IIRC.
I can boot it up tomorrow afternoon to confirm

You forgot one thing. Practice, really good cooling, and a good motherboard that can handle overclocking. I am proof positive that some boards just can't handle it. To anyone looking to get into AM2 overclocking: avoid the nForce 570 SLI and nForce 590 SLI chipset boards. I have had an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe and an M2N32-SLI Deluxe, and neither of them is all that good at overclocking.

Yeah, there sure are a lot of processors in socket AM2/AM2+.

Really, your board supports all of those?

Yes a pretty good list and some not on the list including the 6400+ that is Not listed.

Havent had much practice. Just another new guy having fun and testing clocks at 3456mhz prime95 OCCT Linpack simultaneously. Not sure the current timings will make it, but trial and error should render some permanent results hopefully.

Back