• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Retro AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dump report a blue screen at 7:26AM central time. almost 8 hours.

It's good for gaming at Cas 5-4-4-12-22-3-3-5-3-6- CR 2T @ 1.95v

Tried getting the Trcd tighter than 5 and the Twr will do 5 respectively. Td is stock at 5 clocks and Twtr really likes 3 or even 4, but yields no significant change in benchmarking times and sometimes seems to make ill effects when some of the above are too tight such as the Trcd.

Tras at 10 is ok on the 266 divider with a Trc of 19/18 for gaming and benchmarking, but will only pass 2 hours of Prime95 by itself. That's no good really. OCCT linpack throws errors in under an hour here.

After some testing with the 266 divider, the benchmarking times get worse. By a few seconds. The loss in raw speed hurts the most. So squeezing timings is the only make up for that loss in speed. Looking at Cas 4-2-4 or Cas 4-3-2, may potentially see Cas 4-2-4-8-14 and possibly 1T if the memory speed is low enough of overvolted to accommodate the higher bus speed and tight timings.

I may try actively cooling and push Ram to 2.0v plus at the current deal instead for prolonged stability, but for now enough practice. Going to give this a break for most of the day. I have the chance to do THIS stuff, or change the high pressure power steering line on the 03 burban, mow the lawn and many other various chores that need accomplishment. Now getting a video gaming 13'teenager to get off his rear and help will likely be the most of the challenge for today lol.

*cough* Bullsh*t *cough*

Maybe a little. But there's always room for more "practicing"/"learning"

Now getting a video gaming 13'teenager to get off his rear and help will likely be the most of the challenge for today lol.

Ahhhh it won't take long to get chores done. If he gets them done now, he can game all day.

That's how I look at it sometimes...but...I don't always wanna stop gameing lol :D Guess gamers are the same :p

Now getting a video gaming 13'teenager to get off his rear and help will likely be the most of the challenge for today lol.

Apple never falls far does it. LOL I gotta do the same. Trying to get a few runs of Cinebench 15 in before my nieces 1st birthday. Gotta get my boys off their laptops and in the shower...After this run of course.

Well, the retro AMD rig I wanted to get is pretty dead. It showed no signs of life at all, so it's now going to the county's computer boneyard. It was a Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI with an Athlon 64 4000+

Not much I know, but I would have liked to have played around with it. It had a PNY GeForce 9500GT in it, and I already had an identical card... I was wanting to try out SLI on it. :D

Oh well, rest in peace. I'm keeping the Athlon, though. I have no clue if it works, and no board to try it in. When I pulled the heatsink it pulled the CPU straight out of the socket, and bent a few pins. I straightened them back out with a mechanical pencil but, as I just said, no clue if it works.

Oh bummer, was looking forward to some screen shots. Maybe you might find another board soon?

Not likely. Basically my cousin works for the county garage and nearby they have the computer recycling pile. He pulls the best looking ones out of the pile but mostly we end up with old Dells that some business or the county offices threw away. This one was a rare custom-built PC he found in there. I highly doubt he will find any more like it. Don't have an itch to de-lid an s939, do you Shimpy? :D

You betcha. Got a running board too.

Quick question about that old pc. You didnt happen to try a new known working psu did ya?

Yep. I pulled the PSU out of my current PC for it. I tried known working RAM and power button and it didn't do a thing. All the caps looked ok, but it just didn't offer any clues as to why it wouldn't work... the mobo is gone now though, so no more fiddling with it. I have the CPU though.

Well, the retro AMD rig I wanted to get is pretty dead. It showed no signs of life at all, so it's now going to the county's computer boneyard. It was a Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI with an Athlon 64 4000+

Not much I know, but I would have liked to have played around with it. It had a PNY GeForce 9500GT in it, and I already had an identical card... I was wanting to try out SLI on it. :D

Oh well, rest in peace. I'm keeping the Athlon, though. I have no clue if it works, and no board to try it in. When I pulled the heatsink it pulled the CPU straight out of the socket, and bent a few pins. I straightened them back out with a mechanical pencil but, as I just said, no clue if it works.

I hope you don't mean you tossed the 9500 with the rest. If you are going to do that, make sure it lands on my porch so I can abuse it.

I also hope it's a San Diego core you have and that it's a good one. Shrimpy can delid and test it if you'd like - I could do that too, esp the testing part. :D
BTW since you didn't mention it, did the setup have any RAM sticks in it?

Oh yeah - I recently resurrected one of my A7N's, hadn't worked in over 5 years after a waterleak "Killed" it and thought it was a goner. Turns out the leak simply caused it to pop a cap or two, replaced some of the old caps and it came back to life.
Runs just like it used too and I'm happy to see it kicking again.

No I definitely didn't toss the 9500. Back in 2008 that was the first graphics card I've ever bought. I still have it and it works. Now that I have another one I have plans to torture them both myself. :D I'll be making a thread soon in the Nvidia section. I will need help. Possibly better cooling options and volt mod assistance... :chair:

I'm pretty sure it's a San Diego core. I just confirmed it is a San Diego. Not sure if it works though... But I'm more than willing to it give it to a good home to find out.

Yes the board had RAM too. 2*512MB crucial I think... I kept it too anyway.

Last edited:
No I definitely didn't toss the 9500. Back in 2008 that was the first graphics card I've ever bought. I still have it and it works. Now that I have another one I have plans to torture them both myself. :D I'll be making a thread soon in the Nvidia section. I will need help. Possibly better cooling options and volt mod assistance... :chair:

I'm pretty sure it's a San Diego core. I just confirmed it is a San Diego. Not sure if it works though... But I'm more than willing to it give it to a good home to find out.

Yes the board had RAM too. 2*512MB crucial I think... I kept it too anyway.

Running a 9500GT in the lanparty board as well. great cards for their time. Was thinking of getting a couple of 7600 GT's for some old school SLI. Did that with an expensive FX-55 with A8N32 SLI. Man what a sweet set up that was. It just lacked a second cpu core.....

Sent you a PM on the San_D chip. I'll pop the top on it. Be my pleasure.

Good luck with it Shrimpy.
If it's a CCBBE or later stepping, it should be a good one. I have had one before that was a really good stepping (LCB9E) that was a total dog of a chip - Woudn't even reach 3.0 and had a hard time doing 2.9 while running smoking hot in the process.
I guess if I had popped it's top that might have done something for it but that chip is long gone and I'm not worried about it, I have two of these chips that are pretty good, that includes the freaky one.

BTW, when the weather gets cooler for us, maybe we could do a retro comp for gits and shiggles.

Good luck with it Shrimpy.
If it's a CCBBE or later stepping, it should be a good one. I have had one before that was a really good stepping (LCB9E) that was a total dog of a chip - Woudn't even reach 3.0 and had a hard time doing 2.9 while running smoking hot in the process.
I guess if I had popped it's top that might have done something for it but that chip is long gone and I'm not worried about it, I have two of these chips that are pretty good, that includes the freaky one.

BTW, when the weather gets cooler for us, maybe we could do a retro comp for gits and shiggles.

Thanks. I'll check the stepping once I get it, but yea, steppings don't always mean the world. Had a 1090T that was only good for 3.8ghz and dead stopped at 4.0ghz lucky for a validation.

Worst case scenario, I could break out the 136w peltier and try to see if it likes freezing. Doubtful, but you never know!

And with our pretty mild summer here in chicago, I can wait for winter this year. No hurries there. Walmart has dry ice stones throw away too. :drool:

And a Retro comp? You mean at ClassicPlatforms? Oh I'd love to actually. Perhaps I'll make it a Retro-athon and make it a few months worth of overclocking fun. I'll try and give it some good thought before starting a thread really quick like I usually do. :rolleyes:

I was thinking here or there - Whatever works.

I was also thinking to go really retro as in either Socket A or an Intel equivalent, maybe both from that era would do to make it a truly retro comp.
Was thinking around November would be a good time for this so anyone that might need to get a few pieces purchased could do so and have the time they'd need to get it done, also for having decent temps to work with.

How about it guys - Interested?

I was thinking here or there - Whatever works.

I was also thinking to go really retro as in either Socket A or an Intel equivalent, maybe both from that era would do to make it a truly retro comp.
Was thinking around November would be a good time for this so anyone that might need to get a few pieces purchased could do so and have the time they'd need to get it done, also for having decent temps to work with.

How about it guys - Interested?

OK here works for me, IDC really. Should we/I offer a prize for contestants?

And what benchmark would be most interesting for sA? Something long and hard for stability bragging rights, or something quick and simple just to get it done? 3D perhaps?

I got my Duron rig on standby ready for some action :)
Wouldn't be a bad time for me to learn about benching too.

OK here works for me, IDC really. Should we/I offer a prize for contestants?

And what benchmark would be most interesting for sA? Something long and hard for stability bragging rights, or something quick and simple just to get it done? 3D perhaps?

Perhaps 32M Super PI and something for AGP/3D could work. Since we're talking about a really older setup based on the system and graphics, 3DMark 01 sounds about right don't you think?
Maybe 3DMark 2000? :shrug:

Think about it.

Prizes -I'm n personally not in a position to offer anything due to the ongoing medical bills and the like, plus it looks as if we have another waterleak going on, the waterbill has been rather high for the past two months. Have to get that checked out to see.

Was thinking of getting a couple of 7600 GT's for some old school SLI. Did that with an expensive FX-55 with A8N32 SLI.
I have a similar setup to that Shrimpy, A8N32-Sli Deluxe, 4400+ and a pair of 7600 gs as well. I replaced all the caps on the 7600 gs recently and they are running pretty darn good now.

Perhaps 32M Super PI and something for AGP/3D could work. Since we're talking about a really older setup based on the system and graphics, 3DMark 01 sounds about right don't you think?
Maybe 3DMark 2000? :shrug:

Think about it.

Prizes -I'm n personally not in a position to offer anything due to the ongoing medical bills and the like, plus it looks as if we have another waterleak going on, the waterbill has been rather high for the past two months. Have to get that checked out to see.

Yea 3DMark01 sounds good, 2000 is less popular. People will be more familiar with 01.... I'll think on it, got some time yet. Perhaps AquaMark. Or I may search for something not on HWBots list perhaps.....

What about VGA restrictions for AGP. there are some monster cards that would take all like the 3850 and 4670 for example. Should we restrict the big cards? What's your thought there?

The prize thing is just an idea. May not pan out. I do have a couple of items that I could let go of. Gotta dig the stash box and see what's in it.

I have a similar setup to that Shrimpy, A8N32-Sli Deluxe, 4400+ and a pair of 7600 gs as well. I replaced all the caps on the 7600 gs recently and they are running pretty darn good now.

Aw man that's a sweet ride Man_D. Glad the cap replacement went well. Your handy with a soldering gun!

Now you just need a nice little dual core Opty 170 or something, and that rig would be killer. I'd offer mine, but the guy I got it from has it beat so bad, it requires over volting at stock speeds or it doesn't make it to the windows desktop. Very quirky this one is. Been trying to get clocks out of it so I can post about it here, but it refuses to cooperate. It's definately showing signs of end of life very similar to another Opty I had (165) many moons ago. That one Died Gaming Half Life at 3.2ghz. It was a sad day.

Back