• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Retro AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks Shrimpy, it was my first build from 2006. It was my everyday PC untill 2011, then my lil guy was using it as his minecraft computer with up until about a month ago. I decided that I wanted to do some OCing on it this winter, so I swapped in my Asrock Z77 Extreme 4/2500k/ GTS 450 that was collecting dust in the closet. I figure it was a win, win for him.

The board is showing it's age a bit, it has a few caps that are bulging so I'll need to do a cap replacement on it when I get a chance. Little did I realize when I bought the board that it was a pretty good one for overclocking. It has two blower style fans on the vrm heatsinks for cooling which my son thinks is really cool. :D

That's quite a bit of an upgrade no doubt highly noticeable!

My M3A32 MVP came with that little blower fan too. The manual recommended it for use with water cooling :thup: Haven't seen any of the newer boards doing this as for the most part the VRMs run cool enough without it so it seems. I know the chipsets definitely do!

Replace the caps and keep the board for a bit. Never know which grand kid will be an overclocker :D

Replace the caps and keep the board for a bit. Never know which grand kid will be an overclocker
Replacing the caps is the plan, just need the time to solder. As for the Grandkids I'm hoping my 11 yr old will hold off on having a kid or two for a while :D

Replacing the caps is the plan, just need the time to solder. As for the Grandkids I'm hoping my 11 yr old will hold off on having a kid or two for a while :D

My oldest 13 , likes gaming could care less about overclocking. The middle 8, a girl, doesn't even know what overclocking is, and J_Rob is 2 1/2 years old. He might overclock. He's watched me do it lots of times. That's a challenge. He likes to touch and experience everything lol. But it's fun to make mini cauldrons with Dry Ice. We use it for camping too. Keeps the coolers exceptionally cold (starts freezing hot dogs lol) and is mess free.

It's such a good hobby. It goes along with the Nitro cars and the trucks in the drive way hehehe. 03' Burban 295hp LT ain't no joke. I may retire this engine into the 95' chevy 1500 and trick it out a little. Plans for a far future from now lol, maybe 2-4 years. Depends on how the economy pays between now and then.

It seems a lot of us are the same, computers seems to be the less expensive alternative to OCing cars. :D I have a 700+ hp 94 Toyota Supra I used to race pre child now he thinks it's going to be his car when he starts driving. Yeah right, he calls it the loud car.

It seems a lot of us are the same, computers seems to be the less expensive alternative to OCing cars. :D I have a 700+ hp 94 Toyota Supra I used to race pre child now he thinks it's going to be his car when he starts driving. Yeah right, he calls it the loud car.

Lol, the loud car. I bet! Some day we'll have a loud car too, just waiting for the right car to come along at the right time. I was thinking about a delorean would be kinda neat. Always looked cool in back to the future :D

I saw one of those at a stoplight beside me, and I said "I want one!" :drool:
Though, comparing the gas mileage to my 96 corolla, It suddenly looks expensive :p

I just want to sell my 300ZX so I can have money for an engine to put in my Trans Am and I'll be fine. >_>

EDIT: Oh, and a '69 Stingray. That's my dream car. :D

Here's a really old pic of my old ride, a 71 Torino GT with a 466 CID (460 - .030 overbore based on a 429 Interceptor) big block under the hood. Trans is a heavy duty C6 from a cop car (Has the extra set of foward clutches and the cast iron tail housing). It's still around guys but sadly nothing like it was in the pic now.
Maybe one day I will get it back in shape but would need a complete resto top to bottom.

Yes, that's me back in the day (89). :D

Attachments

• The Doc's old ride.jpg
    The Doc's old ride.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
My noise maker LOl

20140130_163934.jpg

Nice picture. Very clean. Do you take it to the track?
I used to bring it to Raceway park in NJ, a friend of mine I worked with had the fastest street Supra in the country, at that time, we used to race down their. He was the first Supra in the 9's though his was completely stripped down with a cage and all. Mine is still a daily driver A/C and all it will do low 11's at 128 mph in the 1/4 mile, probably 10's if I put slicks on it.

Dr. McCoy I absolutely love the old Torinos I think they are one of the nicer looking cars from back in the day. I wish I had a bigger garage because I'd love to pick up something older and work on it.

ThE_MaD_ShOt, I used to work at a Chevy dealer, detailing cars when I was 16, those SS Monte Carlos we so cool when they were around.

is that a grand national?:confused:

Nope - Monty SS, look closely and you'll see the SS on the door just of the right of the lift post.
However it's still a great looking ride. :thup:

Back on topic:
Witchy is throwing a little "Party" and anyone eligible can get in on this.

A little retro action if you can't wait - And eligible of course.
I'm not running it and it's his comp so that's how it is.

The expected carnage from this one should be a blast.

Last edited:
Dr McCoy, that link is giving me an SSL error, saying it's trying to connect to 'host monster . com'

I'm not sure what that's about, and I'm currently on my phone. I'll check it out on the comp in a little while to see if that makes a difference.

Just tried the link when I saw your post and it worked - Probrably because you're using a mobile.
If you want, go to the forum page and you'll find it within the "Performance and Benchmarking" section, listed under the Benchmarking Competitions sub section as "AMD 939 Throwdown".

Don't know why it's happening but tried it again and same result for me, took me right ot it.
Just follow the directions I posted above and you'll find it.

Back