• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Return of Gigabyte OC series - GA-Z87X-OC - LGA 1150 - Haswell

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
The OC series are boards designed without some of the extras gamers and enthusiasts may look for, and instead added features desirable for Overclockers. This is a continuation of sorts from their X58-OC board reviewed here by Ross 2 years ago.

I haven't seen anyone talk in detail about the board yet, but from the pictures and just past knowledge, below is what I think is worth noting about it.

OC focused features:

- "OC Touch" - Physical, on the fly hardware buttons for multiplier and bclk while the system is running (techpowerup claimed hardware voltage control, but there are no physical buttons on the board to reflect this)
- Onboard power/reset/cmos clear buttons
- Tag, Turbo, and Gear buttons (turbo is likely an auto-oc feature, Gear allows you to change bclk resolution from .3 or 1 which affects how the bclk +/- buttons work, I don't know what Tag does)
- DIP switches to toggle PCIe slots on/off
- Port 80 display for POST codes/troubleshooting
- Voltage read points
- 3 DIPs for LN2 switch (enable/disable LN2 mode), backup BIOS, and unknown (possibly slow mode to drop the multi)
- 8 + 4 pin CPU power, 6 pin additional power connector for additional crossfire/sli PCIe power to ensure there isn't overdraw on the 24 pin ATX connection
- Minimal capacitors in socket area (ease subzero insulation)
- 9 fan headers on board (if I counted right)

In contrast to the X58-OC, there are a couple apparent changes:

- Some traditional cylindrical caps in the socket area, but fewer than you find on most motherboards. The X58-OC used POSCAPs across the board, which are flatter low profile alternatives, and make it easier to insulate
- Lack of on the fly PWM frequency DIP switches, as far as I can tell. The X58OC had DIP switches which allowed changing the CPU PWM frequency right on the motherboard. In my experience with extreme OC'ing this isn't necessary - you crank PWM frequency to the max, and that's where you leave it. I haven't found any advantages of reducing PWM frequency in subzero conditions (reducing it in ambient conditions will reduce heat output from the power section, which can be a good thing)
- DIMM sockets only have one retention latch on the top of the board, the other side just needs pressed in (with a long video card, this avoids potential clearance issues)

Possible prediction:

- This may not be a final design, and the cylindrical caps could be replaced by the flat caps used on the X58-OC
- Once they have the design on the heatsinks finished, this board is going to look hot (at least if you liked the look of the X58-OC, which I did)

The full article is available at the Romanian site Lab501, though they had to remove the pictures: http://lab501.ro/

Here is the picture that was posted there however, but keep in mind, this is not a final design - it doesn't have the PWM heatsink mounted, and the south bridge heatsink is not the final style:

gaz87xoc.jpg

Last edited:
hey, maybe they will launch it when the board is still current gen?!

hey, maybe they will launch it when the board is still current gen?!

Lol! That's the biggest thing! I wanted to buy the X58-OC just to support the design of a board like that, but thinking about it I just couldn't get into that platform so late in the game. Really looking at this board as a viable candidate for Haswell though. I'm anxious to see what else will be out there though too.

Coming, just not done. That is one of the last things to get done on boards... They often use ugly but functional sinks on the engineering samples.

I'm trying to figure out what is going on with the power sections? The CPU power section is clear, but is that a power section below the DIMM slots and above the southbridge sink for RAM power?

Pwm threw me off. I use that term with fans., not fets/ power delivery area Lol!

I see the outline for a sink around the cpu power bits, nut none around the dimms

Ya sorry. I tend to use PWM because that's how the frequency for that section is called out in BIOS settings - higher PWM frequency, faster switching, more stability, more heat.

I was asking where the RAM power comes from on the board. There is something between the DIMM and heatsink in the picture that looks like it could be a power section near the RAM, but Earthdog was noting that there are no mounting holes for that area to be sinked, which would normally be expected if it was a power section.

oh I see what you are saying. Right below the RAM (to the left in the picture) I would guess?

Maybe the new heatsink will reach up that far from the chipset?

I just noticed the CMOS battery is pretty close to the socket. Kind of an odd place for it... Never seen it that close to the CPU.

I just noticed the CMOS battery is pretty close to the socket. Kind of an odd place for it... Never seen it that close to the CPU.

i have...... just on my Super old boards :D
hey maybe they found that old school mobos had it right!
maybe next socket will be Slot 3 with 1,000 Pins :rofl:

Someone call gigabyte and tell them 2009 wants their PCI slots back please. Are they really PCI? Those 2 black slots? I haven't used a PCI device in years.

Back