• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reviving an old Soyo KT600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doomfan

Registered
Hello,

I have an old Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus version one that I am trying to turn into a working system. The problem is I can't boot off of Windows or Linux without the system resetting itself. After playing with the Master/Slave options, I found out that Ram was being reported as bad withmemtest86+. However, I replaced the Ram with more than six pieces of Ram and the motherboard reported every piece as bad. I’ve cleared the bios and attempted to run memtestx86 again with the same results. I have never had a computer act like this; I think I have tried every Ram setting on the planet as well as just leaving each piece at stock. I would like to find the manual if anyone knows where to download it at; it was given to me by a friend so I have zero documentation. The only thing I can think of is the motherboard has about eight switches below the IDE port and I don’t know what they do; maybe with the manual I could underclock the core and Ram.

Here are the system specs
AMD Athlon XP 2.3 GHz
Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus
Nvidia Geforce 5200
1GB DDR Ultra Ram (I’ve tried Corsair/Ultra)
Ultra 400 Watt PSU
Sony DVD/CD Drive
Seagate 200GB IDE Hard drive

Not a bad system for free just a little dated, Ideas are welcome.

Wow, I used to have one of those! :)
The DIP switches below the Floppy connector are the multiplier control. The fsb jumpers are between the Northbridge and the ATX connector labeled FJ1. I've attached the manual below. The jumper settings are on page 19.
Good luck.

Edit: You may want to pull the cpu and see what model AXP (2000+, 2300+, 2500+ etc.) it is for sure. The 3200+ was the only AXP processor to run @ 2.3Ghz stock. My guess is that the processor is overclocked and is simply unstable.

Attachments

• mk7vkp2_11.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 579
Last edited:
Wow, I used to have one of those! :)
The DIP switches below the Floppy connector are the multiplier control. The fsb jumpers are between the Northbridge and the ATX connector labeled FJ1. I've attached the manual below. The jumper settings are on page 19.
Good luck.

Edit: You may want to pull the cpu and see what model AXP (2000+, 2300+, 2500+ etc.) it is for sure. The 3200+ was the only AXP processor to run @ 2.3Ghz stock. My guess is that the processor is overclocked and is simply unstable.

Thank you, I actually don't think its 3200+ so I'll check out the model. That is kinda surprising as the previous owner doesn't strike me as someone who overclocks. Maybe the switches got messed up some how if so I guess I am luckly it didn't blow up.

EDIT: And it works now as good as new with Ubuntu 10.04, however according to "cat /proc/cpuinfo" its not a AMD Athlon 2600+ either:

processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 10
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
stepping : 0
cpu MHz : 1533.402
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up
bogomips : 3066.80
clflush size : 32
cache_alignment : 32
address sizes : 34 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management: ts

I find that strange, when I typed in the serial number from the chip it redirected me to the 2600+; regardless it works and its fast enough for now.

Last edited:
Have you tried searching the internet for an online manual for that board? I have an old kt133A-based FIC mobo that is older technology than yours and I found the manual on line recently and this company went out of the mobo business some years ago. Sometimes it is the case that a technology company will discontinue a division but keep archives or maybe continue with it overseas. I found my manual on FIC's overseas site.

Last edited:
Back