• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Revo3x2 not showing up & no gpu fan on EVGA Z77 FTW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fritzman

Okay... board arrived today and is all set up with a 3770K, 16Gb, revo3x2 in slot 5 and GTX580 in slot1,

I tried initially with the gpu in slot2, but the board wouldn't post.

The issue I have, is...

What settings do I need to adjust in BIOS (or where should the cards be) in order for the board to acknowledge the Revo?

I did a quick google around, and the two choices appear to be Revo in slot1 and the gpu in either slot 2 or 4.
I can get the gpu to work in slot 1 okay, but in slot 2 or 4... the gpu fan doesn't spin up at all (and I've even plugged the 6-pin power into the board by slot 1)

I can get to post okay and into BIOS with the revo in slot 4 and the gpu in slot 1, but the revo then doesn't show up in BIOS.

I have reset the BIOS, and disabled the Marvell SATA as suggested under, but problem remains.

I tested the drivers on a USB in the Z68 board and Win7 found it once the drivers were loaded.

I also recall that the BIOS screens on the Z68 also showed the Revo in the list.

I can't get the Z77 to do that, and am planning to do a fresh install of Win7 64

Hoping someone has encountered this, and knows the best positions for the cards, plus the settings to change to get the Revo to show up so I can do the reinstall.

Thanks

Last edited:
Try to disable any other SATA controller than Intel. Then try Revo in pcie 3/4.

Thanks.

Just edited my OP go include a bit of testing with the Revo in slot1 and the GTX in 2 or 4... Problem is the GTX fan doesn't spin when in slot 2 or 4 and can't get the revo to show in BIOS/Post.

Any other ideas?

Last edited:
Did you put plug in the additional PCIe power to the 6 pin next to the first PCIe slot?

Enabled all PCI-E slots using the dip-switches.

The additional (on-motherboard) 6-pin power is not needed (apparently) for a single card, but yes... tried that also.

Have you set the board to OC mode? If not try that as it will disable all non essential MB devices. Crap I must think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalin View Post

Hey everybody I'm a new evga ftw owner. I got the board because i had originally bought an OCZ revo 3 a soon realized my GPU was running with half the lanes 8x. After a while of research it seemed like the z77 FTW mobo was the best option for a solution. After playing with it for a bit and having to flash the bios to get it to recognize the revo 3 drive im still having the same problem the gpu is running at 8x.
Currently my gpu is in slot 1 and the revo drive is in slot 3. Now i do still have a sandy bridge cpu installed im thinking upgrading that may solve the problem but i was curious as to whether there were any other solutions out there... anyways i should get back to studying for exams ive already spent a day on the problem ..... Thanks
Colin

EVGA recommends slots 2 & 4 for SLI. Then use slot 1 for Revo Drive. Or put Revo in other open slot. I had to water cool my cards; top card would see 90c+. PCI-E Gen3 x8 is Faster than Gen2 x16.

EVGA Z77 FTW FAQ
Q. I want to run x16/x16 in 2-Way SLI mode, which slots do I use?
A. You can run x16/x16 when using PCI-E slots 2 and 4. We designed the board layout in such a way that a single GPU will get PCI-E lanes directly from CPU when in PCI-E slot 1, we ultimately found out that this delivers the best graphics performance. The PLX bridge chip is used in 2-Way, 3-Way and 4-Way SLI configurations.
Edited by Buzzkill - Yesterday at 6:11 pm

Alright i got it working in two configurations; gpu in slot 2 and ssd in slot 4 and also gpu in slot 2 and ssd in slot 1.... i left the ssd in slot one.... thanks for your help

btw has anyone experienced any flakey usb issues and by flakey i mean having them randomly get knocked out requiring a unplug and re plug to get working again?
http://www.overclock.net/t/1283451/official-evga-z77-ftw-owners-club/140

Thanks guys... saw that EVGA post yesterday and tested them, BEFORE I found out that there are dip-switches for disabling each PCI-E lane.

Turned them all on, and the first time I powered up with the GPU in slot2, got fan spinning, but no signal to monitor. Every time after that, no fan spins on the GPU.

At work right now, so more experimenting later when I get home.

Thanks.

If this can help, this is the Z77 FTW PCIe logic.

EVGA%20Z77%20FTW%20Chipset_575px.jpg

If you put the Revo on PCIe 1, it will "speak" with the CPU without the PLX chip in the way. Now you just need to find the right slot for the GPU ! Slot 4 maybe ? But slot 2 should give the same result.

Sorry... the diagram is largely meaningless to me.

Here is what I have tried..

1. All PCI-E lanes DISABLED and using the display-port adapter - nothing on screen (tested on two monitors that work fine with other cards)

2. Tried enabling/disabling various PCI-E lanes and testing... Revo in 1/2/4 and the card in 2/3/4... sometimes I get power lights on the REVO, but the GPU fan NEVER spins up.

3. I have manually tested the 12v lines of the 8 & 6 pin cables, and they are both pumping out just over 12.03v

4. I have pulled the board out of the case and then re-seated it, even if only to check that I didn't have anything shorting out under it or something dumb. I also popped the cmos battery.

One other oddity, is the board comes on as soon as I turn the power supply on... just starts up as though I'd pressed the power button.

Done all I can think of, but can't get a win here folks... I need some more help..

Update...

Don't know what I've done differently this time, but Revo in 1 and GPU in 2... all working fine.

Booted from my Z68 Win8 install that was already on the Revo, GPU fan spinning and all.. wierd.

Back