• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RMA or not, need opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daddyjaxx

I built my father a system with a 4790k and an Asus Z97-A. Everything is working great except for one thing. If I try to run Linx, it runs at 4.4 as I have it set as, but about a minute after starting Linx, it says a USB hub has exceeded it's voltage capacity and all of the USB ports shutdown and Realtemp shows the CPU cores all at around 110c.

I know the CPU is not running at 110c. I can hear the fan running and Linx keeps chucking along. If it was really 110c, the CPU would throttle or shutoff. I mean it immediately goes for 55c to 110c in one second. The only things I have plugged into USB are the keyboard/mouse connector and a wireless N connector. None of which require external power.

Even if I have NOTHING plugged into a USB, I get the same message. I can run 3dMark until the cows come home. Everything he does, has no issues. I just can't run Linx without the error.

I've read of this issue with XP, but I installed Win7 Home. He's not having any issues playing games, recording music, or anything that he uses the computer for. Should I RMA the motherboard or does anyone have any suggestions about the error? I have never seen it before.

That is stock..really. It's just turbo running at full 100% CPU load all the time you run at 100% load. A 4790 turbo is 4.4.

That's what I was thinking. Linx hasn't been updated like in forever. Nothing he does throws the error. He seems more than happy with the setup. 99% of what he does, the CPU Speedsteps to only 800 MHz and runs in the 20's for temps. I just hate to wait until 30+ days and then I can't return the motherboard. I'm using a Venomous X with a 2000+ RPM fan for cooling. He's happier than a pig in mud, going from a 470 GTX to a 760 GTX. He only plays older flight sims like Rise of Flight and Cliffs of Dover, so the 760 is plenty for him.

I have the HAF-X fans plugged into the motherboard headers, all of them. Coincidence?

Last edited:
It is an awesome board for the price. I can't deny that. When I get a chance, I may flash back to the BIOS that it came with and see if I still get the same problem.

It is an awesome board for the price. I can't deny that. When I get a chance, I may flash back to the BIOS that it came with and see if I still get the same problem.

Why does it matter? It's not necessary to be able to run every single kind of stressing software out there. If it's IBT and P95 stable, who cares? Just use the thing.

I don't know if it's P95 stable. I need to try and run it and see if I get the same error. I know he hasn't had any errors using it and he's done everything he does on a PC.

He thinks the CPU is super-faster than his 2600k because everything loads so much faster. I'm letting him think so since he bought the 4790k, but I put a Samsung Evo 840 512GB drive in it replacing his normal hard drive. :)

SATA 3 has a communication limit of 600 MB/s. Most SSD's are very close to that now.

SATA 3.0

Released in 2009, SATA 3.0, also known as SATA 6Gb/s, is the third generation of the SATA specification. It is capable of communicating at up to 600MB/s, with overhead taken into account. In addition to its speed improvements, this revision also introduces NCQ management, improved power management features, and queued TRIM support (allowing TRIM commands to be queued with I/O requests, which was not possible on earlier implementations). While it is currently capable of supporting the massive speeds of today’s SSDs, it is already being outpaced as SSD technology advances. This is the standard that most modern SSDs are built to support, although they are backwards compatible with the earlier standards as well.

SATA 3 has a communication limit of 600 MB/s. Most SSD's are very close to that now.

SATA 3.0

Released in 2009, SATA 3.0, also known as SATA 6Gb/s, is the third generation of the SATA specification. It is capable of communicating at up to 600MB/s, with overhead taken into account. In addition to its speed improvements, this revision also introduces NCQ management, improved power management features, and queued TRIM support (allowing TRIM commands to be queued with I/O requests, which was not possible on earlier implementations). While it is currently capable of supporting the massive speeds of today’s SSDs, it is already being outpaced as SSD technology advances. This is the standard that most modern SSDs are built to support, although they are backwards compatible with the earlier standards as well.

Yes, in sequential transfers.
What makes an SSD feel fast is the 4K and latency performance, not sequential transfers.

If you lock the CPU at 4.4 GHz and even though that's the stock turbo speed, you may need to give it a little bump in voltage.

The system does it automatically when you set turbo always on. Besides, I don't see what that could have to do with USB ports being over volted even with nothing plugged into them. Some research I have done, this was common on XP SP2, and others were BIOS issues.

Back