• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Router Recommendation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Val155

Quick ? for you pros:

I currently have an generic 2.4/5G Router that my local cable provider (Spectrum) supplied me with which I am paying a monthly service charge for. I think it is junk because our TV's are constantly losing wifi connection and the wifi drops periodically for no reason... so I am thinking about buying my own router for a little better quality and also so I don't have to pay a monthly fee.

I live in a two story house. My three children, my wife as well as myself all have tablets. We have a couple of smart TVs too, so at any given time, there are multiple devices on the network. The modem is downstairs. My tower PC is around 3-4 years old and was custom built and is currently hard wired to the modem/router. It doesn't contain a wireless card.

The network is primarily used for web browsing, streaming TV/movies and gaming. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My Budget is $200-$250.

Thanks in advance!

I have the older version of this one:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16833320174
@ $134.90

I have a 1600 sq/ft ranch with the router in the basement on one end. While it does reach the other end of the house it is a bit weak but it does allow me to listen to Pandora whilst on my lawn tractor through most of my yard so I like it just fine. If I had it more centrally located it would be better but that's not the fault of the unit. It has tons of built in features that you used to only get with 3rd party firmwares like Tomato.

Of course, I also recently bought one of these to fill in the gaps and this is so........ good.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16833320174

Only $90 too.

Last edited:
Is the current device only a modem/router combo or does it also provide digital telephony?

Is the current device only a modem/router combo or does it also provide digital telephony?

No digital telephony. Modem is plain with a separate cheap router. Two separate pieces.

No digital telephony. Modem is plain with a separate cheap router. Two separate pieces.

Ah! You also answered my next question.

I recently purchased this and love it: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC23...&qid=1546965201&sr=8-1&keywords=TP-link+C2300 Had it in use several weeks now an no dropped signals. Excellent range.

What is the square footage of your house?

One thing that can really help is relocating the router to a central place in the house instead of having it on one end. I ran ethernet cable under the house from my modem to the router and placed the router on a shelf in the more or less center of the floor plan layout. The cable service providers are limited as to where they can install and so the placement of the modem is often not conducive for good coverage throughout the dwelling.

Square footage is 2,400. Two story. My office is downstairs and I need my desktop and work laptop hard connected to the modem/router. So i really need a Router that pumps good signals to the top floor. I know it can be tricky with two story's, walls, wood floors, etc, but it's what I got to work with.

You also have the option of installing a second access point upstairs.

With a budget of $250-300 depending on how confident you are with networking, you can look at going with a Ubiquiti setup. You can get a couple APs for around $75-100/ea and a router for around $60 that should give excellent connectivity meshed throughout your home. (I personally use a Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite, some 8 port switches in a couple rooms in the house, and 2 of the UAP-AC-LR access points).

Yes, if your budget will permit, Ubiquity is an excellent option.

Bought these a year ago for the same issue you are having. I have a center hall colonial 2 stories and a furnished basement. My office is on the upper floor on the west side of the house, living room on lower floor "middle floor, however you look at it" east side of the house. The Wifi from my Verizon router just wasn't cutting it. I have one of these on each floor and haven't had a single issue with Wifi reception or dropping since. It also has some nice features, that can be easily set up. For instance I have all the wifi devices my 15 yr old son has on a pause button. If I want I can just hit the pause button and everything gets disconnected from wifi. It's a nice feature when you want their attention. :D

Back