• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rtx 40x0 talk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think the connector is the same, the adapter cable itself is rated for different power depending on how many PCIe power connectors are on it. The one that came with the 4070 has two so would be 300W susupply.
Gotcha.

So the headroom would still shrink when using one that comes with 2x6+2. 4070ti would be towards the top of that config with little headroom (in spec).

@Kenrou
I don't think 4 PCIe 8-pin power sockets would even fit on my 4090 -- for while the heatsink is huge, the actual PCB isn't even as long as my MSI Duke 1080ti, it's only 222mm long. Have there ever been videocards w/4 8-pin PCI power connectors?

@magellan
Wouldn't be surprised if kingpin had some project like it? So 2x300w would be "optimal" maybe, assuming the 300w conector for the 4070 and below are safe, which they seem to be so far 🤷🏻‍♂️

Most problems are (were) because of loose connectors/pins/not pushed to the end. It caused the burning of the connector/socket. It's barely ever a problem of overheating plug. As you saw in the photos, they typically go up to 70°C. The melting point of these connectors is much higher. Many brands have already made connectors with "heatsinks" or other things, but they're not so popular as it doesn't change much.

@Kenrou
I don't think 4 PCIe 8-pin power sockets would even fit on my 4090 -- for while the heatsink is huge, the actual PCB isn't even as long as my MSI Duke 1080ti, it's only 222mm long. Have there ever been videocards w/4 8-pin PCI power connectors?

Cards like RX6800/6900XT were with 3x4pin connectors and still had some free space on the PCB, so I bet they would install it without issues.

@magellan
Wouldn't be surprised if kingpin had some project like it? So 2x300w would be "optimal" maybe, assuming the 300w conector for the 4070 and below are safe, which they seem to be so far 1f937-1f3fb-2642.png

I would be surprised to see any new Kingpin graphics card. I don't think he still works for EVGA, as it's pretty much a dead brand already and all known people left them a while ago.

I would be surprised to see any new Kingpin graphics card. I don't think he still works for EVGA, as it's pretty much a dead brand already and all known people left them a while ago.
Did he only work with EVGA? Thought he was a freelancer of sorts, and I read a kitguru "interview" a while back saying that he wanted to continue without them if possible 🤷🏻‍♂️

He only worked with evga in the past. Haven't heard a peep since...

If we don't see him somewhere else with the 5000 series, I doubt we'll see him in that capacity. I hope I'm wrong

yeah say what you will, but him and TiN made a pretty great duo of ridiculousness.

Yep, actually all those power designs and some weird (but successful) ideas were on the TiN's side, even though Kingpin was the face of everything extreme. Besides them, you could see guys like Jakob, who was their marketing manager for many years. I never liked him as he ignored most of my emails and, in others, promised samples that were never sent for tests. It doesn't change the fact that he is well-known in the industry.

wonder if NV has any left over defective 4060 dies they could turn into 4050/4030, ie SM16/SM8 cards. 4050 (slower 8gb DDR6) would need to be priced around $150ish to compete with AMD. IF they did a 4030(4/6gb DDR6) it would really need to be close to the $119 for the intel A380 card.

wonder if NV has any left over defective 4060 dies they could turn into 4050/4030, ie SM16/SM8 cards. 4050 (slower 8gb DDR6) would need to be priced around $150ish to compete with AMD. IF they did a 4030(4/6gb DDR6) it would really need to be close to the $119 for the intel A380 card.
Dont new iGPUs cover those performance points? Especially '4030'/a380 level?

We're getting close enough with the latest gen that paying for something that isn't a significant improvement.

I believe new-gen IGPs will cover that, as they're already at the GTX1050/1060 level, or even higher. I just see no point in cards so slow labeled as "gaming". There is a market for the lowest discrete graphics cards for additional monitor support, or it could be something very simple when IGP is not available (some workstation motherboards). This is how Nvidia sees it, too. If there was a market for that, then they wouldn't skip some generations. Even GF700 series cards were still available in the last 2 years. GF1030 is still popular as the lowest option, but it's on the market for long years. RTX4050 will be a waste of money. Too slow for modern games, and everything else is the same, if not worse, than on modern IGPs. If you need multi-monitor support, then mid-shelf motherboards support 2-3 monitors.

4050 already exists, although only as a mobile offering at the moment. It uses AD107 die, as opposed to AD106 for 4060. Also Nvidia don't have to strictly compete on perf/price which often misses non-performance based value items. At best, you're comparing a complex thing and then throwing price into the mix? It doesn't boil down to a single number.

Dont new iGPUs cover those performance points? Especially '4030'/a380 level?
What is the current fastest iGPU you can actually buy? I'll split that into two categories, mobile chips and socketed desktop. On desktop is it the 6000 series APU whatever that was called? At least until we get the 8000 series. Mobile I find almost impossible to keep track of and performance is much more system dependant.

RTX4050 will be a waste of money. Too slow for modern games, and everything else is the same, if not worse, than on modern IGPs.
Hypothetical 4050 desktop should be decent enough as an entry level offering given it is already used in lower end gaming laptops. iGPUs will remain castrated due to lack of bandwidth. 4050 laptop version is 192GB/s bandwidth. Take the 7940HS as an example, best case is LPDDR at 7500 for about 75GB/s. Not even half and it has to fight CPU cores for it. This will remain the main choke point for iGPUs trying to take on low end gaming dGPUs. Not saying performance is limited purely by VRAM bandwidth as caches can help out, but it will be very costly to put enough in to make a big difference.

well having a few intel cpus with no Igpu, i need graphics cards LOL. the $20ish difference between a A310 and A380, might as well A380. in either case though, for using lower power the A310. its just that $20 more for alot more. after that your talking the amd 6400 for $160 and for around that price is a 1050/1060 used. my aim for no extra power needed for the cards. i can reuse my 1030gt but still it's a 13th gen build (cpu was free, that's for a different post.) :c

Hypothetical 4050 desktop should be decent enough as an entry level offering given it is already used in lower end gaming laptops. iGPUs will remain castrated due to lack of bandwidth. 4050 laptop version is 192GB/s bandwidth. Take the 7940HS as an example, best case is LPDDR at 7500 for about 75GB/s. Not even half and it has to fight CPU cores for it. This will remain the main choke point for iGPUs trying to take on low end gaming dGPUs. Not saying performance is limited purely by VRAM bandwidth as caches can help out, but it will be very costly to put enough in to make a big difference.

It's not only a matter of bandwidth when the GPU is already too weak. The whole point is that low-end gaming is already on RTX4060/RX7600 8GB as they're limited so much that anything above 1080p has problems with consistent FPS. If you want to play 2D games or old titles, then you can get something better from the 2nd hand market or stay on IGP. Many people have the same conclusions over the web. This is also why 2nd hand RTX3060, RX6700, and RX6800 sell so well.

The only good thing would be if Intel released something new in the upcoming months. They are working on something, and it will probably appear this year. Their last GPUs are all discontinued.

well having a few intel cpus with no Igpu, i need graphics cards LOL. the $20ish difference between a A310 and A380, might as well A380. in either case though, for using lower power the A310. its just that $20 more for alot more. after that your talking the amd 6400 for $160 and for around that price is a 1050/1060 used. my aim for no extra power needed for the cards. i can reuse my 1030gt but still it's a 13th gen build (cpu was free, that's for a different post.) :c
I'm using GF1030 even on some mobos with IGP, just because higher series mobos have almost only USB-C/DP, and it's easier for me to use the same, long HDMI than connect another USB-C/DP (not to mention that longer and higher quality cables are not cheap).

Last edited:
The only good thing would be if Intel released something new in the upcoming months. They are working on something, and it will probably appear this year. Their last GPUs are all discontinued.
Last I heard, the new core ultra chips are running Xe graphics.

Last I heard, the new core ultra chips are running Xe graphics.

AMD is beating them in IGPs, so they are trying to push integrated and discrete graphics. I don't think it will happen for the IGP in the core ultra series. After 780M, it's expected that AMD will release something significantly better, and the 780M already runs AAA games at 720p (or even 1080p). Even though it's only 720p, then it's still a lot for IGP.
Intel's last discrete graphics series was a huge step for them. I think that they can surprise us in the next gen.

It's not only a matter of bandwidth when the GPU is already too weak. The whole point is that low-end gaming is already on RTX4060/RX7600 8GB as they're limited so much that anything above 1080p has problems with consistent FPS. If you want to play 2D games or old titles, then you can get something better from the 2nd hand market or stay on IGP. Many people have the same conclusions over the web. This is also why 2nd hand RTX3060, RX6700, and RX6800 sell so well.
I don't follow that argument. If a 3060 is good enough to game, why not a 4060? A problem I see on forums are some posters. They often talk about what should have been, and they're not actually playing games. 3060 is at least comparable to current gen consoles and will give a great experience on any modern game if appropriate settings are used. There is a bit of a PCMR mentality but consoles are closer to low presets, and some PC gamers seem to resist considering anything below high. If iGPU is good enough, then 2x that is still good enough.

AMD is beating them in IGPs, so they are trying to push integrated and discrete graphics. I don't think it will happen for the IGP in the core ultra series. After 780M, it's expected that AMD will release something significantly better, and the 780M already runs AAA games at 720p (or even 1080p). Even though it's only 720p, then it's still a lot for IGP.
Intel's last discrete graphics series was a huge step for them. I think that they can surprise us in the next gen.

Intel says it beats 780m currently, and yep, like usual, next gen from a competitor will beat it.

I'd like to see fps numbers instead of marketing.

found this interesting, not finished, has benchmarks from a Core 7 Ultra 155H arc 8 vs arc 7 according to(https://www.anandtech.com/show/2118...ake-brings-ai-and-arc-to-ultra-thin-notebooks)

now i wonder if i should have my mom stop the shipment of her 13th gen laptop. she does not do much that needs a better graphics or all the cores tha laptop has. its still in the HP evny lineup, last one she bought was 8th gen back in 2017. she wanted to upgrade but keep the same size screen so another envy but with i7-13700H. this new one is only about $100 more then when she bought hers in 2017. generally though how long would it take for meteor lake to hit retail? i know i kinda derailed a bit ..

Back