• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rtx 40x0 talk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
@TerranBrackiatt
Wow, a $2k monitor. I'm guessing it's not for a desktop -- unless your desk's top is 6' deep. Just out of curiosity is the Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 two monitors siamesed together? If so, does each monitor have a separate set of HDMI/DP inputs? How do you game on two 4k monitors? Very slowly? Can you separate the 2 monitors?

You DON'T game on two 4K monitors! hahahaha :D

You guys are INSANE. That... THING cleaaaaaarly wasn't built for gaming. What's the refresh rate on it again?

You'd be out of your minds if you thought you could get away with anything but Myst on it.

Today... right now... You can kinda/sorta/just barely get away with gaming in 4K (with ray tracing) on something like a 4090. And even then... you're not talking all the bells and whistles.

Your best bet is usually to emulate what the consoles are doing. (Which generally involves every cheap trick in the book: From randomly scaling down the resolution, to lowering the IQ to something like the "Medium" settings on the computer version of a game, to just dropping ray tracing altogether for certain titles.)

And you'd need TWO graphics cards running the same game on TWO computers in tandem in order to pull it off on that thing.

Best of luck, gentlemen...

You guys are INSANE. That... THING cleaaaaaarly wasn't built for gaming. What's the refresh rate on it again?

You'd be out of your minds if you thought you could get away with anything but Myst on it.

Today... right now... You can kinda/sorta/just barely get away with gaming in 4K (with ray tracing) on something like a 4090. And even then... you're not talking all the bells and whistles.
1. It's a gaming monitor, lol. Samsung calls it as much too.
2. 240hz (mentioned previously, also screams gaming)
3. Read a 4090 review...this one is 4k/ultra/RT https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-4090-suprim-x/34.html

....perhaps it's just me (doubt it), but it feels more accurate to say a 4090 has minimal issues driving 4K/Ultra with RT according to TPU than "kinda/sorta/just barely".

@TerranBrackiatt - I wonder if the screen can divide its real estate... can it slice 4k out in the middle, and you have 'bars' (or a desktop) on the L/R for titles that may need it? Isn't there software that can do it?

I guess I'd have to sit in front of it... but 57" even curved seems huge... but boy would I love that real-estate. Currently sitting with two 28" 2560x1440 (one directly in front, the other offset for desktop-type stuff when gaming - a diagonal of 47" - I couldn't imagine 10 more!).

Last edited:
Gaming doesn't mean someone must play AAA titles at 4-8K and max details. Recently I was browsing Steam suggested/popular games list and after passing ~500 titles, there were like 10 games that actually need higher performance PC. Still, if you like, you can play 2D or old games at 8K.
Btw., after passing those 500 games, I found maybe 3 that are interesting, but I put them onto my list and will wait until there is any significant promo. It's really hard to find anything good nowadays. I decided I will play some Fallout 4 ... it's 9 year old game, and it looks better (even though in reality it's already quite bad) than most of what we see nowadays (not saying about those few AAA titles with full RT and other things). I wonder why people spend so much money on RTX4090 when there is nothing to play. Spending $2k+ for literally 2-3 titles per year sounds kinda stupid.

Often enough, users have more money than sense. We see that on a daily basis in tech forums. :p

That said, these were like much less expensive upon release. Only recently (past couple of months) has the price skyrocketed on the 4090, right?

Not really. The initial price was much above MSRP. Then prices went down and recently went up (or are supposed to, but I can't really see it in the EU) because of the Chinese market, which is buying out everything for AI calculations. There were articles on how they modify cooling for multi-card rack server setups.
I remember that the RTX4090 price just after the premiere was about $2.3-2.7k (depending on the model, no VAT). About a half year ago, it was ~$2k. Now I see the cheapest one for ~$1.75k. It's in Poland, but we have +/- the same prices as in the whole EU. US prices are a bit lower.

We can say that all other RTX4000 card prices went down much more than RTX4090. Maybe that's why people are saying that RTX4090 costs more now.

Last edited:
Really. There was (as there always is) the initial "I'll pay an arm and a leg for new tech without a lot of stock" above MSRP at launch, and it dropped down. There were absolutely some months where you could get a 4090 for MUCH closer to MSRP than you can now/since the China/AI thing. Buying one today for $2K feels off. But closer to the MSRP, to me, does not. Remember, MSRP was $1600 IIRC.

1707220715435.png

We can say that all other RTX4000 card prices went down much more than RTX4090. Maybe that's why people are saying that RTX4090 costs more now.
That's true. But you could also find a 4090 pretty close to MSRP for quite a few months. See chart above. Prices look to be trending down again.

Last edited:
It's from the last few months. I can't find anything just after the premiere. Then there was an availability problem, and it caused higher than expected prices. Later, prices significantly went down and were at the level on your screenshot for over half a year (until the AI bump at the end of last year).

Now, it's still maybe $100 above the MSRP (but without VAT), so it seems not so bad compared to what it was in the past. However, add my local 23% VAT and not the cheapest version available (who would pay so much money and pick the cheapest/"budget" version?), and surprise, it's $2350.

People are saying it costs more, because it does... China/AI.

So, my point (that I did not share well, my bad) was that you could find these for several months close to MSRP (even six months ago according to that chart). There's always a spike in the first couple of months, but the dust settled (a mere ~4 months after release). If it wasn't for the China/AI hording, they would likely be a lot closer to MSRP today. :)

I recently saw someone talking about driving an 8K60 load with their 4090.. I just kinda brushed it off.. you know like how Superposition lets you bench in 8K.. hmm.

Edit:

Sorry, forgot the quote, I didnt see new messages until I posted agh.

If the prices on the 4090 hadn't dropped somewhat post release I'd still be suffering w/my 1080ti and on games like: Control, Metro Exodus, CP2077, The Last Of Us; 60FPS gaming wasn't in the cards even at 1440p (without dropping graphics quality settings), much less 4k. In Control, even at 1440p with reduced graphics settings when there were lots of debris and enemies the game would drop to ~45FPS w/my 1080ti.

@TerranBrackiatt - I wonder if the screen can divide its real estate... can it slice 4k out in the middle, and you have 'bars' (or a desktop) on the L/R for titles that may need it? Isn't there software that can do it?
The only related picture to the mentioned features on the website shows PC1 running the left side of the screen while PC2 runs the right side of the screen, but they're using stock pictures. scroll down to "Your Station Your Way" and underneath there are 3 dots. select the center dot. the site's link again: https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...dr-1000-curved-gaming-monitor-ls57cg952nnxza/
I know Windows 10 and 11 both allow you to splice the screen up.
I also read that earlier Samsung Ultrawide Monitors allow some sort of gaming mode where you get black bars on 2 sides and on top, but i currently am too lazy to search through all their official pages, be cause i forgot to save the ones that discussed the feature.
I'm pretty sure that among all those options one can set up 4k in the center with black bars on the sides or other usable panes, say for discord on one side and GameFAQs on the other side.
I dunno... Just because it's CALLED a "gaming monitor" doesn't give it a Master's degree in Culinary Arts...
No comment.

Often enough, users have more money than sense. We see that on a daily basis in tech forums. :p

That said, these were like much less expensive upon release. Only recently (past couple of months) has the price skyrocketed on the 4090, right?
Yeah I resemble that remark.... :unsure:

Ran across an article this morning... thought of this thread. :)

Looks like we're seeing price drops on 7900xt and 4070ti. We're finally seeing the amd card break $700 ($689) and the 4070ti is around $750.

Ran across an article this morning... thought of this thread. :)

Looks like we're seeing price drops on 7900xt and 4070ti. We're finally seeing the amd card break $700 ($689) and the 4070ti is around $750.
To me right now I still think the 4070 TI is still to excessive in price along with the 4080 IMO .

Last edited:
Seems like nothing out of the ordinary. It's the "old normal". A gradual decline in price over time with the occasional blip if one place does a sale. Unless someone needs something right now, guess many may hold off until next gen.

Back