• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rust on rad fins?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
IMG_0668.JPG

This is what it looks like after 1 hour on the hose and 3 passes with deionized water.. there are still small particles coming out and I'm getting crazy!! I also blew it with my air compressor for about 5 minutes.. halp plz

after all that, its time to get ahold of your manufacturer. your rad should have been spotless loooong ago. enough is enough imo. refer them to this thread if they need any clarification of the issue.

after all that, its time to get ahold of your manufacturer. your rad should have been spotless loooong ago. enough is enough imo. refer them to this thread if they need any clarification of the issue.

Hey maxfly, thanks for your response. I just sent them an e-mail about the issue because it does seem odd. I did put the rad for another half hour on the hose and it keeps getting black spots out of it. They are soft in water so I don't know if they are metal pieces or such. Apart from those, there are green pieces of copper getting out as well. I'm really desperate and this is my very first loop ever :/

EDIT: Same happens with the second rad. I had it for 60 minutes on the hose in my yard and after that I did 3 passes eith hot deionized and it spits out a lot of metal pieces.. I don't know what's going on..

Last edited:
I've never had any of my alphacool rads go this long with cleaning they normally get clean after my process. I'm wondering if you got a bad batch are both rads the same??? As far as size??

yw, this is definitely not the norm by any means. try not to get down about it. im sure it will be taken care of. normally you would only have to do a good thorough rinse and your done. all of this mess should have been flushed out by the manufacturer during their finishing process.

Thanks for the responses guys! Yea, I'm trying not to get down about it. No, the first rad is a NexXxos ST30 240mm and the other is a NexXxos ST30 140mm but I got the same problem with both. Actually I did a 2 hours flush with tap water( put it on my hose in the yard), blew it with air and I did about 30-40 flushes with deionized water (hot and cold) for the 240mm rad. For the 140mm, I flushed with tap water, same process for 1 hour and then I flushed it for about 10 times with hot deionized. It's more than enough for both right?

im sorry, but tap water? i dont think that's good.
Boil water? dunno if that good either.

Anyway, as other mention, stop there..contact alphacool and see if they want em back and re-send you new one's.

Maybe its was used and spray painted new with the insides falling apart. I don't know but I've never heard anything like this before.

I agree with everyone on contacting Alphacool and telling them your situation.

So I did send them an email today at 9:30 pm but I didn't get an answer so far.. How long does it typically take for then to answer? Anyone have experienced Alphacool's customer support?

Dont know, i have not buy anything from alphacool before, but i have plan to buy radiator from there. But after seeing this post make me a little sick. :-S

Alphacool is across the pond. Germany I believe so time is vastly different. Be patient, where did you actually purchase them from???

@Droidene I will think it twice b4 I buy an Alphacool rad in the future. From what I've read on other forums as well they say Alphacools are the "dirtiest".
@S_I_N I got them from PFPCs, which now that I think about it was a mistake because of the import fees I had to pay. I did order all the goods from them because the had vastly more products than Aquatuning and at that time Caseking didn't actually ship to Greece. Yea, I don't know I expected a much more quick response from them.

PPCS is my go to place for all water cooling their great ppl. Alphacool does have the dirtiest rad reputation but they normally clean out pretty easily. I can't help but wonder if 1) you just got a bad batch 2) you may of somehow introduced more with the garden hose flush. 3) I've just been a lucky sob or missed some when I flushed mine.

My current build I'm using hardware labs rads and I love em especially the beefier m4 screws. Alphacool m3 sometimes pull the threads out which is a real pita

Yea they are great actually.. Unfortunately there are import fees for my country so UNFORTUNATELY I can't buy from them ;/ . No the garden hose didn't do any harm because I was flushing the 240 rad for about 4-5 hours with hot deionized and cold deionized prior to hooking it up to the hose. So I guess it's a bad batch? Really unfortunate though

Ok a small update on the issue. I did contact with Alphacool on FB. I explained them the whole situation and they told me to RMA the rads. But since there are very expensive import fees for my country for goods that orient from any country outside EU that could not happen. Therefore I told them to send them the rads back so they can test them and maybe send me new ones themselves. Now the kind sir I was talking with actually told me that there's no need for that and that he will send me two brand new rads at my address. To be honest, it's more than I expected.

Back