• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen Build Stopped Working!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mogar

Registered
So this morning I went to get on the puter and it would power up.. But no display output.
After some fuddling about with the pc, changing sata ports, psu ports, disconnecting and reconnecting all cables, and reseating the cpu cooler, I decided to take out the RAM, video card, and SSD and take them to a buddies house to test them. All are in perfect working condition.. So what do you guys think? Dead cpu or mobo?
I plug everything in and hit the power button and everything starts up, the fans run, g card turns on, cpu fan spins, stuff gets warm. No display output. And the mobo cycles through the same codes on the little LED panel over and over. I tried jumping the cmos and removing and reseating the battery. Not sure what do now. Would any one be willing to assist me? Thank you

Please identify all your components - CPU, Motherboard, cooling, RAM, PSU, GPU. How long have you had the setup?

Were you overclocking? If so, what speed and what Vcore.

What are the LED dx codes that keep recycling? Specfically, what code? And as DaveB asked, please list your specific components. It sounds more like a motherboard or a CPU but did you actually check the PSU? Did you try a different PSU?

Last time when that happend to my old rig it was cpu. Sometimes it would power up sometimes nothing, get cpu out and test it elsewhere.

Ryzen 5 1600 no OC
Asrock Fatal1ty x370 K4 Gaming
G.skill 3200 CL14
Seasonic 750W X-series KM3
EVGA GTX780 classy
Wraith spire cooler
I've had it 3 months.

- - - Updated - - -

The LED codes go by pretty quick to be able to read.. When I get home I'll try writing them out.

- - - Updated - - -

Nowhere to test cpu or mobo.

Maybe try reseating the ram and videocard, unplug unnecessary connections, and or running with a single stick of memory. In the many years I've been a tech, I've only really seen 2 bad processors.

Maybe try reseating the ram and videocard, unplug unnecessary connections, and or running with a single stick of memory. In the many years I've been a tech, I've only really seen 2 bad processors.

Tried all of this

Since the motherboard cycles through the same codes on the little LED panel over and over, I would think it is the motherboard that is the problem.

Last edited:
Since the motherboard cycles through the same codes on the little LED panel over and over, I would think it is the motherboard that is the problem.

I think cpu can do same thing have seen it before. Tried bad cpu on another build and it wouldn't post anything, would give black screen and constant beeps from speaker, while on my rig it wouldn't even power up. If I were him I would RMA Mobo and the Cpu

Just to clarify.. everyone thinks the board and or cpu took a ****..? :(

I think cpu can do same thing have seen it before. Tried bad cpu on another build and it wouldn't post anything, would give black screen and constant beeps from speaker, while on my rig it wouldn't even power up. If I were him I would RMA Mobo and the Cpu

I would do the motherboard RMA first since they will check it for working condition. When folks RMA the processor they just replace it with a new one, they don't have time to test all parameters of CPUs.

I think you should shut the power down set the jumper for the CMOS clear then pull the battery and let it sit over night. It's not always easy clearing the CMOS on this platform

I think you should shut the power down set the jumper for the CMOS clear then pull the battery and let it sit over night. It's not always easy clearing the CMOS on this platform

Tried this.

But I have a new issue. I have confirmed working DDR4 memory, confirmed working DDR3 memory, 2 confirmed working video cards, a confirmed working SSD, a 850W* I thought 750 but it is a 850W Seasonic X series KM3, and a 750W Corsair HX PSU.
Earlier this weekend I had my Haswell 4770K and Asus Z87 mobo with G.skill TridentZ 2400 CL10/ 12 I forget, on a piece of cardboard running it as a test bench. I put this working build into my 400C, and nothing. So both builds ( the ryzen and the haswell) have confirmed working components, and 2 PSUS, and 2 monitors to try with. That fail once they go into the 400C at my house. I checked all connections on my set of monitors and tried both PSUS and tried using onboard video. Nothing. Is my frickin case short circuiting my friggin mobos?

Side note - my mouse and keyboard light up when I power on my Haswell build. Have not tried the ryzen since earlier this weekend when I thought the mobo was dead. What the f..

I think Mr. Scott may have something here. Disconnect the case power button wire from the motherboard and try powering it up by shorting the pins with a screw driver tip.

The other thing I would make sure of is that you don't have a stray motherboard standoff shorting out the traces on the underside of the motherboard.

I think Mr. Scott may have something here. Disconnect the case power button wire from the motherboard and try powering it up by shorting the pins with a screw driver tip.

The other thing I would make sure of is that you don't have a stray motherboard standoff shorting out the traces on the underside of the motherboard.

Jesus.. I'll try it right now. After I try the buttons I guess I'll rip the pc apart and bring it to the neighbours and try to hook it up and see if it gets a display there.. after that I guess I need to find what shorted the mobos from inside my case. Hopefully it's just the first issue.

not the power or reset buttons. pulled them out of mobo and same thing

I would try swapping the GPU(if available) to see if that may be the issue, and possibly the display cable.

Got rid of gpu long ago and using onboard video. Just finished hooking it up to a completely different setup. Same issue. I'm convinced that the case is somehow short circuiting mobos. Anyone else agree?

If everything works outside the case, that would seem to be the logical conclusion.

Back