• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen Build Stopped Working!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Have a standoff in the wrong location? Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that happen.

I suggested that back in post #15 but OP hasn't acknowledged it yet. Maybe he didn't use standoffs at all! We've had posters who didn't know that they needed to put TIM between the heat sink and the CPU.

Last edited:
Got rid of gpu long ago and using onboard video. Just finished hooking it up to a completely different setup. Same issue. I'm convinced that the case is somehow short circuiting mobos. Anyone else agree?

Case cables know simply to go bad if it isn't keept on dry. If everything works outside that case then you have short in case.

I mean it shouldn't be hard to troubleshoot it if it works outside of a case and not in. It can either be.
1. The motherboard grounding out (see trents question)
2. The cables

You can double check the standoffs and make sure there is no issue there. Also make sure the IO shield ground points aren't poking into something (I've had a couple of customers bring in their PCs for that issue too).
If the standoffs are fine then put the motheboard in the case, don't plug in the power cables and manually start the system by shorting the power switch header.

Well I figured since it would have already been shorted it would be dead.

Not always. Matter of fact, a case short rarely kills a board. There are protections in place to help prevent that.

Haven't had time tonight to play with it. Feeling a little bit demoralized by the whole situation doesn't help my motivation unfortunately

Back